Photo

Sky-Watcher AZ4 mount

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

The weight shouldn't be too much of a problem. Length might be pushing it a bit. But I've had good results both with a 3-inch f/11 refractor and a C8. The solution might be some vibration supression pads.

#27 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

• Loc: Abilene, Kansas

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I am testing a long refractor and I have a question for all that are using the Orion Versago II HD or the Sky-Watcher AZ-4. After balancing and applying maximum tension on the altitude axis knob the refractor does not feel very secured on the mount. If I touch the focuser or apply some pressure on the handle it moves the refractor in either direction. Is this supposed to happen?

Not sure what you mean by "moves the refractor in either direction" but I tried my 4" f/9.8 refractor once on my Versago and it did have vibrations(can't remember how much)but it felt secure in the dove tail saddle and I don't recall it slipping up or down.

#28 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

I just put my scope on the Versago and I didn't tighten down the altitude knob very tight and it feels solid to me. Tapping on the focuser or the handle didn't cause any movement. When tapping on the focuser it dampens in about 2 seconds.

Attached Files

#29 xcy

xcy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Europe

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

I am not talking about vibrations, but about applying some pressure on the focuser or on the handle (either down or up) resulting the optical tube to slip in the direction where the force is applied (even if the knob is fully tighten). Maybe there is a way to increase the maximum tension that can be applied on the altitude axis knob?

#30 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

I nudged mine up and down on the focuser and the handle and the scope moved in the direction I pushed it and it stops when I stop applying pressure. It doesn't keep going and I don't have the knob tightened all the way.

#31 xcy

xcy

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I nudged mine up and down on the focuser and the handle and the scope moved in the direction I pushed it and it stops when I stop applying pressure. It doesn't keep going and I don't have the knob tightened all the way.

If you tighten the knob all the way and tap the focuser or the handle a little (not force it) does it still move?

#32 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

If you tighten the knob all the way and tap the focuser or the handle a little (not force it) does it still move?

No,it doesn't. Only a little vibration.

#33 xcy

xcy

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the tension on the altitude axis so it allows more tightening?

#34 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the tension on the altitude axis so it allows more tightening?

Hold the Alt knob tight and push downn on the scope near the focuser.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics