Photo

Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
746 replies to this topic

#476 RafaelP

RafaelP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Well this is my first post here. I have been looking for new binoculars for getting into astronomy. Instead I jumped on pair of Zeiss 10x40B T* in pristine condition from a pro photographer friend for $200. I don't have possession of them yet. Here is quick iphone picture. Anyone ever use them for the night sky?

Attached Files

#477 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi Rafael,

Welcome to CN.

I have used them on the stars decades ago and they were wonderful. Seems like you got a good deal on them. Enjoy!

#478 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Re: Post #5452048. Oct 2, 2012:

"Gordon and others squack........" What others?

I have never said that the Fujinon AR ( or the nearly identical M-22) come from Katsuma. They are Kamakura, as you say.

The Tasco M-327 and M-328, sold to USMC (green rubber, I have dozens from Camp Pendleton with chipped prisms from brittle glue breakage)and the similar, black ones Optic-Electronic in Dallas sold to the Navy , are Katsuma. The Swift Storm King 7 x 50 of 1970's or '80s, or earlier, look Katsuma, but Swift (RIP) would not confirm in a conversation at one of the shows.

#479 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

The Storm King WAS and IS Tamaya. It is even sold under that name in some places.

BillC

#480 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

But who makes/made the binocular for sextant manufacturer Tamaya?
The Tamaya looked, externally, just like the Katsuma sold to several other rebranders.
Katsuma supplied the same basic 7 x 50 inferior copy, heavier, glued up, and mostly uselessly rubber covered, with grease to hold shims to tilt the prisms instead of good seats and accurate prisms, of the WW II genuine Rochester, N. Y B&L factory US Navy Mk. 28, to Leupold, " Bausch & Lomb", Jason , Swift, Optic-Electronic, Tasco , and who knows whom else, to the best of my knowledge.

#481 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

• Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Its a while since I posted anything new here so this is my new Nikon 8x30. Bought this along with 2 other binoculars, the seller was listing them as spares and repair.
The case for the Nikon is almost totally disintegrated , but the binoculars inside where optically in good condition although a bit dirty externally and a bit of fungus on one prism.
After a clean up I was rewarded with an outstanding view, pin sharp and a very wide sweet spot. Image is bright and neutral in colour and seems to be totally free of CA.
I am amusing this is a E series, maybe someone could confirm this for me? It is without a doubt very close to the performance of the 8x32se but wider in FOV. Although the eye lenses appear to be multi coated, the objectives seem to be a single coating only.

Attached Files

#482 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

It sure looks to be an 8x30E to me! The earlier models were MgFl coated; the last iteration of the Es prior to the EIIs were FMC. The earlier E models like yours and mine have the old thin white Nikon logo (like the '60s cameras) while the last generation had the newer, bold gold italicized Nikon logo like the current EIIs.

Rich

#483 FrankL

FrankL

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

It sure looks to be an 8x30E to me! The earlier models were MgFl coated; the last iteration of the Es prior to the EIIs were FMC. The earlier E models like yours and mine have the old thin white Nikon logo (like the '60s cameras) while the last generation had the newer, bold gold italicized Nikon logo like the current EIIs.
Rich

It's an earlier E for sure. Late made E's had multi-layer green coatings looking to me like the coatings on the SE's. Here are two 7X35 E's in my collection and early one and a late one:
1)http://www.flickr.co...57623234405689/
2)http://www.flickr.co...57623234405689/
The lettering and eyepieces on yours look like those on 1).

#484 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Indeed Frank and Rich they seem to be early examples with a single coated Objective. Bought these with a Zeiss 6x30 and a galilean ww2 binocular all for spares and repair for £38.
Will do a comparison between the SE tomorrow if it's a good day.

#485 steve@37n83.9w

steve@37n83.9w

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

It's amazing just how good some of older Nikon poros perform. My 7x35 9.3* widefield is as good as my EIIs and SEs(mechanics and resolution) and only falls short of the newer Nikons in contrast due to the newer Nikon's better coatings. My 9x35 7.3* J Pat. is sharper on axis than any of my binoculars including my alpha roofs, only my 8x30 Habicht comes close to matching its on axis performance. It will be interesting to see how your Nikons compare with each other.

Steve

#486 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

FWIW...

A Nikon 7x35E 7.3° just showed up on eBay about an hour ago priced at ~$190.

eBay Link (Not my auction)

#487 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

A 15 page catalog that came with a Zephyr binoc is going on line later today. It seems to be 1958- (v/58 on back page), has all the binoculars and very interesting accessories, including custom slip on eye correction lenses !

http://geogdata.csun...rkochen1958.pdf

http://geogdata.csun...taire/classics/

Jae

#488 steve@37n83.9w

steve@37n83.9w

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

I noticed this one a few days ago. I had already saved this particular seller because virtually every bino he lists appears to be mint with all the accessories just like his current offering. There is a couple of Nikon 7x35 9.3* WideFields on the bay right now also.

Steve

#489 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

It's amazing just how good some of older Nikon poros perform. My 7x35 9.3* widefield is as good as my EIIs and SEs(mechanics and resolution) and only falls short of the newer Nikons in contrast due to the newer Nikon's better coatings. My 9x35 7.3* J Pat. is sharper on axis than any of my binoculars including my alpha roofs, only my 8x30 Habicht comes close to matching its on axis performance. It will be interesting to see how your Nikons compare with each other.

Steve

Steve,

I have the same experience ! I have the older 8x30, 9x35 both with hard plastic eyecups and the 10x35E which has the same soft eyecups that Simon's 8x30E has.

My favorite is the like new 9x35 that I picked up for $68 - seems the sharpest also.

Jae

#490 steve@37n83.9w

steve@37n83.9w

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Steve

Steve,

I have the same experience ! I have the older 8x30, 9x35 both with hard plastic eyecups and the 10x35E which has the same soft eyecups that Simon's 8x30E has.

My favorite is the like new 9x35 that I picked up for $68 - seems the sharpest also.

Jae

Jae

I bought my 9x35 on ebay a few of years ago and paid 122.00. The pictures provided by the seller weren't the best quality but the bino appeared to be in good shape and the description said "probably used very little". In actuality the seller was being modest, the bino was mint and the optics were/are great.

I bought the bino primarily because of its unique specs (only 9x I've ever looked through) and luckily stumbled upon an optical gem. Judging from the views our 9x35s deliver Nikon must have really got it right with this particular model.

Steve

#491 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

A 15 page catalog that came with a Zephyr binoc is going on line later today. It seems to be 1958- (v/58 on back page), has all the binoculars and very interesting accessories, including custom slip on eye correction lenses !
Jae thanks for that link I have saved it on me HDD. Cheers

http://geogdata.csun...rkochen1958.pdf

http://geogdata.csun...taire/classics/

Jae

#492 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Jae thanks for that link I have saved it on me HDD. Cheers

Simon,

Thanks for all your contributions here and elsewhere. I think you and Frank have the best independent catalogues of your collections.

Jae

#493 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

I did a quick comparison between the Nikon 8x30E with the early coatings and the Nikon 8x32 se's this morning.
The sun was still below the horizon but the light was typical dawn light with not enough light go make out detail in hedgerows or identify bird species.

Using the 8x30E first the view was good and fairly bright, nothing that was outstanding but good detail with some slight flaring in the left eyepiece looking towards the sunrise.
The 8x32SE most noticeable trait was how much brighter it was with no noticeable internal reflections. The narrower fov is obvious although this difference is not as big as the numbers suggest. The ergonomics and covering of the SE however was nice to use in the cold wind that was blowing.

#494 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Making all of those catalogs available is great service .

The 1950's Oberkochen Zeiss catalog shows the sanity then evident . Separate rubber protection pieces for the front and rear were available as an option, ff. WW II Kriegsmarine CZJ 7 x 50, rather than covering the whole body with rubber.

They had devoted considerable effort and to lightening the binoculars . To then cover them overall with heavy rubber was a later step backward. That rubber often turned into a sticky mess under tropical sun, hand sweat and oil,and salt water spray, in addition to adding weight.

Similar problems can be seen in the Fuji -R , vs. their non-R. I tried to supply MT or FMT, without the R. The available separate rubber pieces provided non-skid on a chart table, and some minor bump at the front or rear performance .

Consider the unneeded weight which comes with the now unavoidable standard rubber "armor" in several manufacturers' offerings.

Perhaps I am missing something. For example, are the overall coverings on current Fujifilm comparable in weight to what they would be with the previous, non-R offerings' body coverings ?
Is another factor a possible economy in production? By the way, nobody has answered my recent post about whether the parallelism/"alignment"/"collimation" adjustments for those newer models is via the prisms , or around the objective lenses?

#495 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

If the prisms are exposed but very firmly installed, how would you clean them inside the binocular without much streaking ?

Q-tips and Windex seem to streak. I tried tissues using Q-tips as holders and it's a bit better. I didn't want to try acetone as it could smear the dark paint inside and then I'd really be in trouble.

Maybe it's just skill that I need to hone ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

#496 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Jae, you need to remove the prism co clean it properly.
If you remove it mark which direction it was fitted, and a pencil line down the side of the prism and across the face of the prism seat. I use a commercial window cleaner and cotton cloth, it leaves no streaking. A pair of latex gloves with prevent finger prints.
The prisms in some binoculars are fitted so tight in the prism shelf it is a real struggle to get them back into position (Nikon E above). Also remember to mark the position of the objective so it is tightened to the same point on assembly. Do one prism at a time and check alignment.

#497 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi Simon,

I totally agree with you that I should remove the prisms.

But I'm staring at a 10x50 Zeiss Oberkochen and can see how tightly they put these together, along with glue on the screws and to the prism assembly so it attaches to the body that I'm not sure I can muster up the courage at this point so I'm hesitating.

I just may have to do it...

#498 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

With that binocular I would have it done by a pro. That binocular deserves a proper collimation setup to the BillC standard.

#499 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Agree - I'll have to send it out after I put it back together to at least appreciate how good it is after cleaning some of the worst film off the prisms.

Nicolas Christa is near by me but he's a Swift guy, I wonder if there is a Zeiss expert in the states.

#500 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

PM Bill, Corry is another possibility.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics