Photo

Anyone tried Theli for stacking on Linux?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

I´m going to do a presentation about a standard workflow in Theli at CEDIC in Linz/Austria at the beginning of March. I really will try hard to do a full presentation in english for my Youtube Channel as well. So stay tuned. CS Frank

cool ! Theli needs that. Will it explain workflow for both a dslr and ccd user ? and what to do in case of errors ? Like when this happens ->

Attached Files

#27 frasax

frasax

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cologne,Germany

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hi,

well those workflows are not that much different, it doesn´t really matter if you´re using a CCD or DSLR.

In your case the astrometry went wrong, of course i will explain this.

You´re from the Netherlands? So maybe you speak a little german maybe? If so you could try my german video tutorials. www.youtube.com/astrophotocologne

CS Frank

#28 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitney Point, NY

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

For anyone still following this and possible having dual monitor support issues with Ubuntu 11.10 and higher, I resolved those issues with Nvidia drivers. They weren't compatible for some reason and had to go back to older drivers until recently Nvidia brought out the latest, which I am now using. I upgraded to 12.04 and all went to @*#&, there's a LOT of hardware compatibility issues and bug reports which oddly won't be resolved :crazy:
I am now on Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon with not a single issue and so much less headache not having Unity. And being based on Ubuntu, everything I've installed from Ubuntu has went really smooth.

I've been looking for some good software to use, my camera should be here next week, along with the snow clouds. I will give Theli a try too, I can't afford to spend much more money to get software right now lol.

#29 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Not quite sure how to even install Theli. Running Ubuntu 12.04 currently. I got DSS to install under WINE using winetricks. Haven't stacked anything yet to test it out though.

Really interested in possibly giving Theli a try, looks interesting and worth a shot.

#30 frasax

frasax

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hello,

i´ve helped a new user during his first steps over the last couple of days, and i found out that Theli works most stable under Ubuntu 10.04 for some reasons i don´t know yet. For now i would suggest to everyone to install it under Ubuntu 10.04 Lycid Lynx. (For just trying it out you can install it as a virtual Machine on MacOS or Windows).

Be a bit more patient, i´m right now working on english Video Tutorials. They are published after my Workshop i´ll do at the Central European Deepsky Imaging Conference on 1st of March.

So stay tuned:-)

CS Frank

#31 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

• Loc: On the edge of the desert

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thank you! :)

dave

#32 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

For anyone still following this and possible having dual monitor support issues with Ubuntu 11.10 and higher, I resolved those issues with Nvidia drivers. They weren't compatible for some reason and had to go back to older drivers until recently Nvidia brought out the latest, which I am now using. I upgraded to 12.04 and all went to @*#&, there's a LOT of hardware compatibility issues and bug reports which oddly won't be resolved :crazy:
I am now on Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon with not a single issue and so much less headache not having Unity. And being based on Ubuntu, everything I've installed from Ubuntu has went really smooth.

I've been looking for some good software to use, my camera should be here next week, along with the snow clouds. I will give Theli a try too, I can't afford to spend much more money to get software right now lol.

This piques my interest. I've been tempted to switch distros for a while now.

dave

#33 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

I tried Mint some time ago but the returned back to Unbuntu. I have 2 Ubuntu 12.04 computers and they work just fine.
If you dont like Unity, just run Xfce.

Going back to Theli: I did try it but had too many problems with plate solving. Too bad Theli does not allow to stack just arbitrary images as DSS and other stacking software allows.
So I am back to DSS.

Alex

#34 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

If you dont like Unity, just run Xfce.
Alex

I don't, and I'm running Gnome3 :) Which is fine except for some glitchiness in Compiz.

dave

#35 frasax

frasax

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Hi Alex,

I did try it but had too many problems with plate solving

So could you explain a bit more detailed about your problems ? The Plate solving is a step which is more or less a bit tricky here and there. But it is so powerful that getting trough this progress is worth it!

CS Frank

#36 frasax

frasax

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hi everyone,

my Theli Tutorials are now online on Youtube:

Astronomical Image Data Reduction with Theli Part I
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ISaHkW0GBgg

Astronomical Image Data Reduction with Theli Part II
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1BEnNSqPJh0

Astronomical Image Data Reduction with Theli Part III
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ih400HqRaYQ

How to install Linux and Theli on your Computer
http://www.astrophot...ogne.de/astroph ... lation.pdf

Some more Infos in the CCD or DSLR Section of the Forum.

CS Frank

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics