Intelligent reptilian life forms on earth?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

To be fair, the rock-eating organisms of caverns like Carlsbad, and even those that live deeper in the crust, DO get exposed to water. There is lots of liquid water entrapped in rock minerals and moving through pore spaces. That's one of the main reasons mineral deposits are able to form.

As for humans living in zero degree environments -- I'm not sure how they do it either. It's WAY too cold for me!

#27 Tim A.

Tim A.

Apollo

• Loc: 40 30'N 105 3'W

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Before the KT and/or other too-high hurdles came along, it seems entirely possible to me that some lineage of dinosaurs might have already made the leap to making fire, hunting with simple snares, and so on. By now there would be no trace of that intelligence, save perhaps some communal nesting grounds in protected environs (hmmm....).

Suppose the age of mammals and the age of dinosaurs had unspooled in reverse order. If primitive hominids had succumbed to an extinction event like the dinosaurs', to be later supplanted by truly intelligent and technological reptiles, they'd be asking, "Given time, do you think any of those ancient mammals might have evolved into a species like us? What a strange thought!"

#28 ColoHank

ColoHank

Vanguard

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

Dinosaurs in one form or another existed for more than 130 million years. If they had the potential to develop a knack for abstract reasoning, what were they waiting for?

#29 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

I cannot remember the name of the specie, but Carl Sagan, in his book "Dragons of Eden" wrote about a theropod dinosaur with a large brain case for its type, that he speculated may have been a contender, but it died out with the Chixilub thing.

Since reading that, i have caught bits about it being apparently a cooperative breeder, had bino vision, and perhaps an opposable middle claw and dew claw.. who knows, maybe it couda been a contender

#30 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

I think it was the velociraptor, or a closely related form that Sagan was referring to.  I remember seeing artist concept pictures of a scaly, reptilian, big-eyed, 3-fingered, vaguely humanoid creature that was postulated to be a plausible descendant, had things worked out other than they did.

We've learned a lot about dinosaurs, particularly theropods and raptors, since those days.  We now know that the entire family was feathered, and shared closer affinities with birds than with other dinosaur groups.  And if you lump birds in with the clade, then Sagan wasn't all that far off.  Some bird species, specifically crows and ravens, and some members of the parrot family, have evolved remarkably high levels of intelligence.  Some would probably pass the "self-awareness" test, and can handle surprisingly sophisticated mental models.

#31 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

• Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

You would think so... However I am sure they were busy eating other dinosaurs...  Plus the top predators would walk into tar pits, quick sand or be ambushed by other dinosaurs... :imawake:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/69830

#32 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

I think it was the velociraptor, or a closely related form that Sagan was referring to.  ...

Looked it up, 

Stenonychosaurus inaequalis, one of the Troodons

#33 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• Loc: SE MN

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

I used to imaging this as a child. That the dinosaurs actually did have a species that evolved intelligence and actually left earth millions of years before the last extinction. It was a lot of fun imagining their ancestors coming back and explaining they actually lived here when the dinosaurs did. They would show film and actual data on the creatures preserved in their society for millions of years. Naturally they would be way more evolved and technologically advanced than humans. It was a fun fantasy. I even imagined they lived on mars for a time. I miss my imagination. I am not suggesting this happened you understand.

#34 scopethis

scopethis

Cosmos

• Loc: Kingman, Ks

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

someday we shall find a cave where dinosaurs drew pictures of humans on the wall.....

#35 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

I used to imaging this as a child. That the dinosaurs actually did have a species that evolved intelligence and actually left earth millions of years before the last extinction. It was a lot of fun imagining their ancestors coming back and explaining they actually lived here when the dinosaurs did. They would show film and actual data on the creatures preserved in their society for millions of years. Naturally they would be way more evolved and technologically advanced than humans. It was a fun fantasy. I even imagined they lived on mars for a time. I miss my imagination. I am not suggesting this happened you understand.

That is a very cool story. I see a movie in it....

#36 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• Loc: SE MN

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

That is a very cool story. I see a movie in it....

I should start writing the screen play right away then.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics