• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ennis

Ennis

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Outer Limits

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

I'm wanting a binoviewer for use in my EdgeHD 8. Can someone compare, for me, the Mark V Baader binoviewer to the Tele Vue BinoVue? I'm sure they're both good units, but is there really any good reason to pay the higher price for the Mark V?

Thank you.

E.

#2 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

I'm wanting a binoviewer for use in my EdgeHD 8. Can someone compare, for me, the Mark V Baader binoviewer to the Tele Vue BinoVue? I'm sure they're both good units, but is there really any good reason to pay the higher price for the Mark V?

I hate to add to your confusion, but don't forget to add the Denkmeier "Denk II" into your comparison.

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

The MarkV has diopter adjustment on both eyepiece holders and require 30mm less back focus. It also has the largest adapter selection in the whole industry.

My eyes are slightly different and I need to adjust the focus for them individually. This is more critical at lower power. For this reason alone I cannot recommend the TeleVue bino.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#4 Ennis

Ennis

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Outer Limits

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

"The Mark V ... requires 30mm less back focus." Where do you get this information?

Thank you.

E.

#5 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

"The Mark V ... requires 30mm less back focus." Where do you get this information?

Thank you.

Photographic memory! Or almost so, for things that I've read. :grin:

Baader's manual for the glasspath correctors state that the Mark V bino needs 111mm back focus with no GPC or prism diagonal attached. In an old "Astronomy" review the TeleVue bino was found to need 140mm back focus, sans diagonal or corrector. The rest is arithmetics.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#6 mountain monk

mountain monk

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thomas,

Do you have the Mark V? I thought you had the Maxbright. Does the same arithmetic hold for both? Do both adjust individually? Thanks for your comment on the BinoVue--I've been leaning in that direction, now I will lean the other direction.

Dark skies.

Jack

#7 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:32 AM

Hi Jack

I have the Maxbright, but as I want to have the Mark V sometime in the future, I sort of collect information and data on it, in case it should be useful.

The Mark V and the Maxbrights share many common traits and the Maxbrights are a smaller and less expensive version of the Mark V, in many ways. The prisms are made and collimated with the same accuracy, only smaller, etc., according to Baader Planetarium. The Maxbrights have slightly shorter back focus requirement at 100mm, VS 111mm for the Mark V.

The Maxbrights have individual diopter adjustment. And as a industry first, the eyepiece holders can be user adjusted to align them with the light beams, for collimation. I have done this, and while a tricky affair, it works well.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#8 mountain monk

mountain monk

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Thanks, Thomas. I have never even seen a binoviewer or looked through one, so it is sometimes difficult to follow all the material here, especially the comparisons.

Dark skies.

Jack

#9 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

For your Edge HD I think you would be very happy with the Maxbrights!

#10 jonheradas

jonheradas

Lift Off

• Loc: Toronto, Ont. Canada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Televue Binovues can be adjusted for diopter on eithrer eye by advancing the EP as much as needed mm or fractions thereof in the compression ring holder... great optics I would need a side by side comparison to differentiate and grade each...

#11 JohnMurphyRN

JohnMurphyRN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Near St Louis

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Televue Binovues can be adjusted for diopter on eithrer eye by advancing the EP as much as needed mm or fractions thereof in the compression ring holder...

Which can be an irritation if you frequently change the EPs in the BV. I just leave my 19 Pans in mine and I don't need individual eye adjustment anyway so it's a double nonissue for me.

#12 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

You are lucky.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics