AutoStakkert! 2

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#176 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

• Loc: WA, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

One trick I did to remove all the edge APs is to raise the Min Bright. Thx.

#177 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

So, now we might be getting somewhere. For all of you wanting to test out an alpha version(!) of AutoStakkert!2 which has some cool new features, keep reading.

I performed a little trick in AutoStakkert!2 by adding support for FFmpeg, which in turn can read pretty much any video file you throw at it. It is a trick, because it converts these files to something AutoStakkert!2 can read.

It does this completely automatically, so there is no user interaction required.

After running (and closing) AutoStakkert!2 once, in the INI file you will find the following line somewhere under [input]:
FFmpegFiles=mov mpg mpeg mkv mp4 wmv avi

This means it will automatically convert mov, mpg, mpeg, mkv, mp4 and wmv files to a readable AVI. If you open an AVI file that it can't read on its own, AS!2 will automatically convert it (it quietely tries to read it before doing any conversion). Again, no interaction is needed. If you don't want AS!2 to convert any of these files (e.g. compressed avis), simply remove the extension from the FFmpegFiles line.

!This is no excuse to start using compressed video for your recordings. Lossy compression is bad! If you have the option to record uncompressed video (or perhaps lossless compressed video, if you really want to), then you should keep doing that, as that will give you better results!

When compressing:
- It will keep both the original file AND add an extra file with the added extension '.avi'. So if the original file was named 'Jupiter.mov' the new file will be named 'Jupiter.mov.avi'.
- The '.avi' file is probably huge. You can throw it away manually if you want to (after it is not open in AS!2 anymore), and only keep the original for storage purposes. However, that means that the next time AS!2 opens the unreadable file it has to convert it again (which takes some time).
- The file is huge for a reason: it is uncompressed. You DO NOT want to perform lossy compression on a file that was already compressed before. Sometimes software will first transform a .mov into a compressed .avi, and then you need virtual dub to transform it into an uncompressed avi for AS!2 to be able to read it. That first step of performing lossy compression on an already compressed file means that the quality will be (much) lower than the .mov file directly transformed to an uncompressed .avi file.
- Whenever you tell AutoStakkert!2 to either open the original 'Jupiter.mov' when there already is a 'Jupiter.mov.avi' it will not convert the file again, but simply open the '.avi'
- If you try to open both files, it will be smart and just open the '.avi'
- If you convert an unreadable .avi because it was compressed using a codec AS!2 didn't know about, it will create an '.avi.avi' file. Say you try to open Jupiter.avi which was encoded with the xvid codec, then it will create the file Jupiter.avi.avi which is uncompressed and can be read by AS!2.
- and you guessed it: if you open both the Jupiter.avi.avi and Jupiter.avi file, it will be smart and only open Jupiter.avi.avi.
- Conversion is done BEFORE batch processing in AS!2. So if you open 10 files it will convert them all!
- Having avi in the FFmpegFiles list means it will check each and every AVI file you throw at it. This might a) make things rather slow and b) if there are invalid files it will try to convert them no matter how 'bad' they are. This might not be what you want, so remove 'avi' from FFmpegFiles if you want to keep things the way they were.

Conversion is done using the command line tool of FFmpeg. You will see a window pop up when it is working on converting the file. FFmpeg supports LOADS of file formats, more than I added in the FFmpegFiles list. If you need more files, just add the extension to the list. ffmpeg.exe is rather big (because it is a standalone tool that supports MANY codecs), so if you are not interested in any of what I just wrote, please just download the smaller zip file. You could also download a separate windows .exe version of FFmpeg if you want, it should probably work just fine. The version of FFmpeg I included is from January 2013.

Whenever I said 'will' anywhere above I really do mean 'should'. The software is ALPHA, which means it is not stable, hardly tested and I mess with features a lot. If you are not interested in any of the (many) features implemented so far, please do stay away from the alpha/beta software. If however you are interested and want to give it a go, I ask you that you report back on any problems you might encounter. That way I can try and fix things (and again, this is alpha, try to be patient).

And finally the download link:
http://www.astrokraa...are/latest.html
(browse trough the list of changes to get an idea of what I changed since 2.1.0.5, the latest official stable release).

Good night,

#178 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Link does not seem to work for me Emil.

#179 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Congratulations Freddy, you just found the first bug. The link to the download page contained a typo ;)

#180 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Will try it Emil, and a big thanks for putting this all together again for us demanding imagers..

#181 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Works great for me Emil, but I just used my 'normal' Avi's had never a problem with loading my FireCapture Avi's into AS!2, did a 1000 and 2000 stack with 3 X drizzle, and no problems..

#182 star51

star51

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ogallala, Ne.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Having trouble saving when finished. Where ever it is saving it I cant find it. Have put a name in the Prefix box do the stacking and close out the program but the file is now where to be found just the original. What am I not doing right. Tks in advance for the help.

#183 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

By default, AS!2 creates a subdirectory below the AVI, named something like "AS_p60_Multi", indicating 60% were stacked in multi AP mode. There should be one (or two) resulting files in that directory.

Grant

#184 moxican

moxican

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, ON

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

The new version 2.3 is awesome! It is still a beta but works nice and it offers features that are pretty neat. I specially like that I am not forced to use one of the already set ROI, with simply dragging the mouse on the screen I can select any size I want. Great job Emil.
Also the support for the ASI120MC camera is also very nice which was not worked out in the previous versions.

#185 MrMxyzptlk

MrMxyzptlk

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

Did the 2.3 eliminate the black box error?

#186 moxican

moxican

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Sorry, I am not familiar with the black box error. What is it?

#187 MrMxyzptlk

MrMxyzptlk

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

In some cases after stacking a black box appears in the picture. I don't think it is a video file problem, I'm using a DMK21AU04AS camera with ICCapture or FireCapture, and the planet imagined or the surface (Sun or Moon) does not drift too much to no drifting at all, but still after stacking the black box appears. I have attached a black boxed stack

Attached Files

#188 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

The new version 2.3 is awesome! It is still a beta but works nice and it offers features that are pretty neat. I specially like that I am not forced to use one of the already set ROI, with simply dragging the mouse on the screen I can select any size I want. Great job Emil.
Also the support for the ASI120MC camera is also very nice which was not worked out in the previous versions.

Gusztav, I believe you are mixing things up here and are actually talking about FireCapture which is a product of Torsten Edelmann! Thank him!

Regarding that black box: I need more information, settings, screenshots, preferably a video and exact instructions on how to reproduce the problem, otherwise I have no idea what to do here. So please help me help you (I always wanted to say that ;) ). I have never seen this problem myself either..

#189 MrMxyzptlk

MrMxyzptlk

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

I will try to find a video, I deleted most of my files last week. Maybe I got some on my laptop, I will search it later and get back to you

#190 moxican

moxican

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

I am sorry if I've addressed my regards to the wrong place...
However I also wanted to express my appreciation for AS2 :)
About the black box problem... I have never encountered it before, and until about a week ago I was using a DBK21AU04. So I don't think I can be any help on that.

#191 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

There is a new beta version available: http://www.astrokraa...are/latest.html

Please let me know if you find any problems with it. It would be awesome if you could help me fix them too, by sending me instructions on how to replicate the problems!

Check the log for things that have changed.

#192 Mert

Mert

Skylab

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi Emil,

Just tried the latest/greatest version and it seems as if it is even faster then before :step:
I had some trial videos that showed up awfull after processing with strange curved lines etc.
Maybe just me, but after trying more things that went
away. :question:
Still a bit worried though however it is the 1 and only
program I use to stack planetary nowadays.
Big thanks to you for all your effort!!! :waytogo:

#193 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Mert. Curved lines sounds like unstable APs, most likely caused by image stabilization that didn't go too well. Was it a planetary video, or a video of the Moon/Sun?

If planet, then check if you selected planetary mode and browse through the frames (drag the frame slider around a bit from beginning to end) to see if the image stabilization works. The planet should be centered in all the frames. If it is moving around a lot, you should check if Dynamic threshold has been selected. If the planet is always centered, you probably need to use larger APs.

If Sun/Moon, select surface area and make sure the alignment anchor is on a good position (ctrl + click to set it around a stable location). Then after analysis, check the frames if they are more or less stabilized, all of them should pretty much overlap. If not, place the alignment anchor on a different region (perhaps make it bigger as well using the keys 1 to 9 after setting it) and try again. Only if the frames are stabilized should you proceed to the next step. And then again make sure the APs are not too small, but it is probably the first step that went wrong.

If it happens again, send me a screenshot with some instructions what you did, and we will figure out what to do about it!

#194 Mert

Mert

Skylab

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hi Emil,

It was none of your mentioned images, it was just the
camera on the table with some paper on the opening letting
through a little light.
This was the logfile from FC:
============================
Duration=4s
Frames captured=94
File type=AVI
Extended AVI mode=false
Compressed AVI=false
Binning=no
ROI=1280x960
FPS (during start of capture)=23
Shutter=15.09ms
WBlue=94
Gain=17
WRed=43
Gamma=50 (off)
Brightness=0
AutoExposure=off
USBTraffic=63
Histogramm(min)=22
Histogramm(max)=172
Histogramm=67%
Noise(avg.deviation)=n/a
AutoAlign=false
PreFilter=none
Limit=5000 Frames
Sensor temperature=29,8 °C / 85,6 °F
============================

I did some trials just to be sure the camera was working
again, because I had to reflash the camera ( ASI120MC ).
When processing, it seemed as if the resolution got
cropped or compressed somehow.
I tried yesterday with a widefield lens looking up and
all works fine, no strange lines!
Problems like this seem to be related with full resolution
of 1260x960 and do not show with smaller resolution like
the standard 640x480.
Tremendous application :waytogo:

Attached Files

#195 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Mert,

I think that strange stacking is due to variable brightness in the duration of the video. I would suggest selecting "variable transparency recovery" in the Advanced menu and/or checking "global" instead of "local" in the quality estimator.

#196 Mert

Mert

Skylab

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thanks zAmbonii, I'll try that as well.
As said before the problem didn't show up with the
wide-field images I tried, so likely it was just
some sort of situation where things go wrong.

#197 Gupise

Gupise

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Reggio Emilia, italy

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Really faster! Thanks

#198 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

A fellow CNer recommended AS!2 for me recently, and I just downloaded it to do some trial runs on recent AVI's. I keep getting this error when attempting to open my video files. This same file opens fine in Registax, but AS!2 doesn't appear to like it. :) Can someone help me out?

Posted Image

#199 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

I have found that the DV codec and even RGB32 won't work with AS!2. I have to convert them using Virtual Dub and then AS!2 can read it.

AS!2 works with RGB24 though.

If you download the big version of AS!2
http://www.astrokraa...are/latest.html
it comes with ffmpeg.exe which allows AS!2 to try to convert it. If you look at AutoStakkert.ini (open it with a text editor like Notepad or Word) and scroll to the bottom you will see a line you can edit to attempt even more file types to convert.

#200 rg55

rg55

Apollo

• Loc: western US

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Steve, is the extra effort worth it on, say, NI5 files?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics