NEAF anyone

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sterling, VA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

I have taken the leap and will be attending my first NEAF, staying at the Crowne Plaza.

#27 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

BTW, if your GPS routes you onto Spook Rock Road, decline the invitation. Get off the NYTW (I-87) at exit 148. Stay in the center lane (the right disappears just north of the interchange). Airmont Road becomes Highview after the curve. Stay on it to the traffic light at College Road.

I also recommend picking up I-80 to I-287, avoiding NYTW tolls if you were to come in from the north. Exit 148 (Airmont Rd) is the 1st exit after the merge with I-87.

You meant 14 B as in boy. Not 148 the exits don't go that high. There is a 14A and a 14 B exit. NY hasn't gone to mile-based exit numbers since highways in the NYC area have an exit:mile ratio >1

I80 is west to east so I think you meant coming from the west not from the north? Other than those two errors you gave good directions/tips :cool:

#28 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

• Loc: Brooker, FL

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

I have taken the leap and will be attending my first NEAF, staying at the Crowne Plaza.

Been a long time! You'll see my Barth motorhome in the parking lot.

#29 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Been a long time! You'll see my Barth motorhome in the parking lot.

Indeed it has. I presume you'll have the dogs along?

#30 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Rusty *always* has the dogs along....who do you think does the driving?? :smirk:

#31 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

I'll have two dogs; Casey will be there, but Maggie died in '10, and Nelson has come aboard.

#32 Gardner

Gardner

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

5th or 6th time going. Last year I stayed at the Crowne Plaza with a friend but we're doing the day trip thing this year again. I think about 12-15 folks from our club are going.

#33 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

As we all know...Boston MA is the center of the known universe (followed by Silicon Valley...although I'm told the country is slightly tilted so all the lose screws roll west)...so...I was wondering how many Bostonians make the trek to Suffern, NY...I think we're a fairly large group so wondered if others from our proud state could check in so I can get an idea how large we truly are...BTW this mis my 4th NEAF and get so excited I get that kid in the candy store feeling...there are NO telescope stores in Massachusetts (at least that I'm aware).

#34 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

As we all know...Boston MA is the center of the known universe (followed by Silicon Valley...although I'm told the country is slightly tilted so all the lose screws roll west)...so...I was wondering how many Bostonians make the trek to Suffern, NY...I think we're a fairly large group so wondered if others from our proud state could check in so I can get an idea how large we truly are...BTW this mis my 4th NEAF and get so excited I get that kid in the candy store feeling...there are NO telescope stores in Massachusetts (at least that I'm aware).

Not for hockey, eh? LETS GO CAPS!!! :grin:

#35 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I’m going – I think I’ve missed NEAF about 3 times since it started.

This year I’m going on Friday to help set up the Kopernik Observatory booth and will be staying the whole weekend. However, I’m just “widow shopping” this year, since I’ve declared 2012 as “a no new astro-gear year”….. other than some stuff they don’t sell at NEAF, like a tripod ladder with double steps for my 20-inch Dob.

#36 kreegan99

kreegan99

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Endwell, NY

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

I'll be there too George, and I will let you help me buy some stuff. Good luck with the setup today, and can't wait to get down there myself! Of course I'll be looking at big binos this year, along with a mount for them. Not sure how big yet. Hopefully I won't need a ladder to use them :roflmao:

#37 stmifx

stmifx

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

I am here as well. Almost ordered a TSA 102S but held myself back as I have my eye on a used one. I will probably buy a Vixen Polarie.

#38 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Can we chat somehow while you're on cam? Also is there going to b a walk thru???

#39 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Lenny, The chat is available, but I don't believe they are going to be able to do any walk throughs because of some internet (I believe) issues.

#40 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Someone came through with a mobile hotspot, so the webcast could go on. The walkabout problem is that Mike Loffland's laptop is not charging his battery, and none of ours has an IEEE 1394 input, necessary for the videocam.

The chat is somewhat abbreviated, as only one laptop is connected; usually we have 2 or 3, so it's a conspiracy, er, "collaboration".

Normally, we get questions that send me walking the floor to answer; today, none.

Anyway, some of the New Product highlights are:

Televue's autofocuser

Stellarvue's 50mm doublet APO. I think Vic did this on a dare, but this little guy ISN'T a joke - one doesn't make a helical-cut R&P focuser to make mirth. It's a miniature, crafted with the same skill and passion that Vic is known for.

Celestron's 10+mp OSC Nightscape CCD camera* and the miniature standalone autoguider. Noteworthy (IMHO) at Celestron is that Dan Mounsey ("Doctor D" of Woodland Hills fame), whose opinions and advice I truly respect, has joined the company.

Meade: Every item Meade brought is brand new (with the exception of the solar scopes). The LX80* is a "tower" mount, superficially resembling iOptron's, but packing in many more (and surprising!) features (Can your alt-az mount also do EQ?) The LX600 fork mount is available in several sizes.

(Here the author succumbs to visitors at STARV II, and will continue later...) :grin:

Later (1:25AM 4/29) the thread picks up...The Meade LX800 EQ mount. Both the LX600 and LX800 feature the StarLock ™ equipment. This includes both a wide-angle (for alignment) and narrow-angle (for autoguiding) chip with appropriate optics. The pair promises a new dimension in alignment and imaging. The LX800 has a couple of features I like; The Starlock and the correction of a quibble many of us ave with the tripod. The LX800 has 2 leg lock screws on each leg. Further, its claim of 1 arcsec tracking accuracy is attention-getting.

The Meade optics, I was told, were also new, but distracted by the new mount features, I didn't get into that.

iOptron had its existing mounts, but what coaught my eye (yanked in its direction by the legendary imager Tony Hallas) was the new i30 EQ mount*. This unassuming 20-25 lb capacity mount has incorporated, I'm told, the lessons learned from comments rendered by users of its prior mounts. It's fully autoguider-capable at the mount-level (not through the hand controller), and seems to be an imaging-capable mount of extraordinarily compact size.

* These three items are initial contestants for my modest selections for Best of NEAF 2012. But as Scarlett said, "Tomorrow's another day," and I have more patrolling to do...Korean mounts and OTAs, anyone?

#41 alrosm

alrosm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

As we all know...Boston MA is the center of the known universe (followed by Silicon Valley...although I'm told the country is slightly tilted so all the lose screws roll west).

:rofl2:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics