5 replies to this topic

#1 Hemlock

Hemlock

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Finger Lakes, New York

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Comet C/2012 C2 (Bruenjes)

I have to admit I daydream about discovering a comet.

Is there anyone on this board that is a serious comet hunter with just basic equipment?

Any close calls or good stories?

#2 bandhunter

bandhunter

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

I read a really cool article about amateur comet hunters, and it gave all kinds of tips. The main one being have a lot of patience and a lot of luck. I can't remember if it was a post on here or not. Do a google search, it was very interesting, and talked about some amateur comet hunters who had discovered more than one comet!

Daniel

#3 Hemlock

Hemlock

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

Yes - it seems like very tedious work, but if come up with a system that works with whatever equipment you have, I guess anything can happen - just stick with it!

I'll have to pick out a 2" EP and try my hand at hunting comets this Spring.

#4 Amar A. Sharma

Amar A. Sharma

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bangalore, India

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Comet C/2012 C2 (Bruenjes)

I have to admit I daydream about discovering a comet.

Is there anyone on this board that is a serious comet hunter with just basic equipment?

Any close calls or good stories?

I can address the 3 points:

1) And I have been feverishly day dreaming too, since 8 years now. My signature calls myself Comet Sanyasi (renouncee) penancing for the FIRST comet from Indian soil.

2) No equipment as such, except such a 25x100 IF Oberwerk and very little hours of visual scanning as a January 2012 resolution. But now I envision to start a small scale CCD survey with my SBIG ST-8XME with an equivalent of 8" f/5 on EQ6 Pro! Focusing more on the Southern skies we have access at our latitude of +12* North. And infinite determination of getting one.

3) Close calls and good stories, heck, yeah! October 2, 2006: 4 of us in an observing team were out to our observing site observing galaxies (in Leo at that moment). We were devouring galaxies and Saturn was right there. A redundant daily object, why observe it? We glanced it giving few seconds and moved on.

I returned home and signed in to the international yahoo comet forum. And viola! A new comet discovered beside Saturn !!! It turned to be a periodic comet P/2006 T1 (Levy). It has now been recovered and renamed as 255/P Levy.

Hear him reveal the story in his own interview hosted show. He confesses it was hard to confirm with his 16" Dob and veteran experience that is not a ghostly object, but a new comet beside Saturn was next to unreality.

http://www.letstalks...e.asp?year=2006

OR

http://www.letstalks...3.asp?year=2006

[Select the 5th radio talk from above, titled "11/28/06 : David Levy and Dean Koenig : Discovery of a Comet"]

That was OUR comet!!!! :tonofbricks: :flame: :bawling: :smashpc: :nonono: :mrevil:

Shigeki Murakami a notable comet hunter/discoverer of Japan has a far realistic, tragic story than us. He infact discovers it but was 3 hours 43 minutes late to submit to report to CBAT,IAU. Imagine him...

http://homepage3.nif...ry_C2006T1.html

#5 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

Check out the comet hunting info on Don Macholz' site:
http://thecomethunter.com/

#6 Hemlock

Hemlock

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

I forgot that I started this post... where does the time go?

Thanks for your replies. It's about time that I got the wheels turning on this dream of mine, and begin the research process. I saw this Comet episode of 'How the Universe Works' last night, and the fire has been re-lit!

Time for a new post.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics