CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Amateur Comet Discovery over the weekend

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hemlock

Hemlock

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Finger Lakes, New York

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Comet C/2012 C2 (Bruenjes)

I have to admit I daydream about discovering a comet.

Is there anyone on this board that is a serious comet hunter with just basic equipment?

Any close calls or good stories?

#2 bandhunter

bandhunter

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

I read a really cool article about amateur comet hunters, and it gave all kinds of tips. The main one being have a lot of patience and a lot of luck. I can't remember if it was a post on here or not. Do a google search, it was very interesting, and talked about some amateur comet hunters who had discovered more than one comet!

Daniel

#3 Hemlock

Hemlock

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

Yes - it seems like very tedious work, but if come up with a system that works with whatever equipment you have, I guess anything can happen - just stick with it!

I'll have to pick out a 2" EP and try my hand at hunting comets this Spring.

#4 Amar A. Sharma

Amar A. Sharma

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bangalore, India

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Comet C/2012 C2 (Bruenjes)

I have to admit I daydream about discovering a comet.

Is there anyone on this board that is a serious comet hunter with just basic equipment?

Any close calls or good stories?

I can address the 3 points:

1) And I have been feverishly day dreaming too, since 8 years now. My signature calls myself Comet Sanyasi (renouncee) penancing for the FIRST comet from Indian soil.

2) No equipment as such, except such a 25x100 IF Oberwerk and very little hours of visual scanning as a January 2012 resolution. But now I envision to start a small scale CCD survey with my SBIG ST-8XME with an equivalent of 8" f/5 on EQ6 Pro! Focusing more on the Southern skies we have access at our latitude of +12* North. And infinite determination of getting one.

3) Close calls and good stories, heck, yeah! October 2, 2006: 4 of us in an observing team were out to our observing site observing galaxies (in Leo at that moment). We were devouring galaxies and Saturn was right there. A redundant daily object, why observe it? We glanced it giving few seconds and moved on.

I returned home and signed in to the international yahoo comet forum. And viola! A new comet discovered beside Saturn !!! It turned to be a periodic comet P/2006 T1 (Levy). It has now been recovered and renamed as 255/P Levy.

Hear him reveal the story in his own interview hosted show. He confesses it was hard to confirm with his 16" Dob and veteran experience that is not a ghostly object, but a new comet beside Saturn was next to unreality.

http://www.letstalks...e.asp?year=2006

OR

http://www.letstalks...3.asp?year=2006

[Select the 5th radio talk from above, titled "11/28/06 : David Levy and Dean Koenig : Discovery of a Comet"]

That was OUR comet!!!! :tonofbricks: :flame: :bawling: :smashpc: :nonono: :mrevil:

Shigeki Murakami a notable comet hunter/discoverer of Japan has a far realistic, tragic story than us. He infact discovers it but was 3 hours 43 minutes late to submit to report to CBAT,IAU. Imagine him...

http://homepage3.nif...ry_C2006T1.html

#5 coopman

coopman

Soyuz

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

Check out the comet hunting info on Don Macholz' site:
http://thecomethunter.com/

#6 Hemlock

Hemlock

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

I forgot that I started this post... where does the time go?

Thanks for your replies. It's about time that I got the wheels turning on this dream of mine, and begin the research process. I saw this Comet episode of 'How the Universe Works' last night, and the fire has been re-lit!

Time for a new post.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics