Photo

CrawMach Focusers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Just wanted to say that we've been fightin to save precious light path travel for our build to keep good illumination, and our only choices seemed to be the 1.45" tall MoonLite CR @ $265 or the 2.5" tall Orion @ $179 (both with the dual-speed). Just found the CrawMach, which has also been reviewed here, and bein custom-made by a machinist/astronomer and only 1 5/8" tall, dual-speed @ $179, we're glad to have another option. Here's the review

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=2625

Forum members here also say great things. Just wanted to give him a bump, and others here a heads up. Sorry if it's common knowledge.

#2 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

I,ve read mixed reports about CrawMach focusers, the single speed seem to be very good however several purchasers of the two speed version seemed to find it less than ideal.
To be fair these may have been early teething problems and may have been put right.Myself I would go for the Moonlight, they have been around a long time and you can be assured of backup if you have a problem a few years down the road, JMTCW, Dave.

#3 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Thanks Junky,

I'll start researchin them tomorrow.

#4 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

• Loc: near New York

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

killdabuddha, PM sent to you; in short, I would recommend Crawmach, that you should look into it.

#5 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

I'll start researchin them tomorrow.

Is the "g" key broken on your keyboard? Lookin(g) over a lot of your posts seems to support this supposition. :grin:

#6 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

Yeah,

Figure if I do it enuf nobody'll notice. Is it workin?

#7 Gene7

Gene7

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mid Ohio, USA

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I have a Crawford Machine focuser, 2 inch, that weighs 1324. grams. Also have a Kineoptics HC-2 Helical Crayford 2 inch focuser that weighs only 173 grams. Nuff said. Cannot stand all of that weight. Gene

#8 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

I have a Crawford Machine focuser, 2 inch, that weighs 1324. grams. Also have a Kineoptics HC-2 Helical Crayford 2 inch focuser that weighs only 173 grams. Nuff said. Cannot stand all of that weight. Gene

We looked at these early on and even tried to find a way to incorporate them into the design, but we can't use them. The only helical we coulda used from the tube woulda been the non-rotating Borg type because we have a bino-build that requires star diagonals. Because of the stars we gotta keep focuser height down as much as possible, etc. Thanks

#9 kenfoland

kenfoland

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Good 'Ol USA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

I bought a Edmund Scientific Voyager 6001 (the one with the alt-az fork mount) from a second hand store for $5! Believe it or not, it is in great shape with perfect optics, including the RKE15 eyepiece that came with it. It was missing the original finder, but I wasn't complaining! I had never heard of this scope prior to buying it but was pleased with my purchase after researching it. I was even more pleased with views it produces. It really is quite impressive. So, I wanted to put this scope to use. However, I wasn't pleased with the original rack-n-pinion focuser. I contacted several focuser manufacturers, including moonlite and was not able to find a replacement for it; until I came across www.crawmach.com. The voyager 6001 has a focuser with a 65mm X .90mm male thread that is cemented into the OTA. And the lens cell on the front has the same thread mounting. With the liberal application of heat to the outside of the OTA it will unscrew. And, the original paint is so good that it never even showed it. Dan Crawford at crawmach was able to supply me with an excellent Crayford-style focuser for 1.25" eyepieces that perfectly screws into my OTA and locks in place. Now I can use this scope visually, as a guidescope, or even as an imaging scope. I am very pleased.

#10 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

Thanks kenfoland.

We're thinkin that we may not need the dual speed (strictly visual, probly not a lotta planetary, and f/6 so sum depth of focus), but were more concerned about the height (to minimize light path travel) and whether we'd get away with his low profile support-wise. Whether we'd need the standard size to support the star diagonal/large EP combo (35mm Titan II ED). But Moonlite certainly gets away with it, and that with all kinds of AP equipment hangin off them. I'm gonna tell Dan to make it the low-profile and maybe forgo the fine-focuser.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics