• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zoeff

Zoeff

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Haarlem, Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

(6 months ago I made a similar thread when this website was still under development, back then it was just a concept)

This hobby being quite technical, I expected there to be one or two big websites that everybody goes to and share information but to my surprise I found just one...this forum. And as good as it is for personal assistance, sharing experiences and that community feel, it seems that there is a lot of gospel and myth floating around here. The search function isn't all that sophisticated either. That said, there are plenty of very knowledgeable people around that know a lot about specific area of amateur astronomy.

The idea of telescopedia.com is to have all of that knowledge in one place, readily accessible with everything reviewed and in the proper context relative to other pieces of information.

A few people have already asked me what the problem is of wikipedia. The answer is simple - Wikipedia is a source of information from an outside perspective, and not a practical document. The guidelines themselves specifically state this as well.

I've registered .com and .org, not sure which one should be used. I don't think it'll ever be commercial as the costs shouldn't be that high (it's only text and some pictures after all). So .org is probably going to be the final address.

Are there any graphic artists around that might be willing to create an astronomy based skin/theme for MediaWiki? Also, anyone that has some MediaWiki experience is more than welcome to help by approving comments and such. :)

#2 Hemlock

Hemlock

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Finger Lakes, New York

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

I remember your post back a month or so ago. I almost emailed you but I was spending a lot of time creating my own internet project.

Anyway, I might be able to give you a hand. I do graphics. Shoot me a PM with the template specs, or whatever info I would need to get started.

#3 finderman2  Happy Birthday!

finderman2

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NW Connecticut

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

I would be more than glad to help, my experience is mainly in web design and front-end development, I've not had a large amount of experience with MediaWiki, but I don't think it should be to challenging. Just send me a PM with your email address and some details and we can go from there.

Can't wait to hear!

#4 Jawaid I. Abbasi

Jawaid I. Abbasi

Vanguard

• Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Look at my site and grab the contents and coding as you needed. If you are unable to grab coding then email me and I will send you the specific coding of your needs from my site.

#5 Zoeff

Zoeff

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

I should probably add that anyone willing to write an article or two is more than welcome... :)

#6 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

I would be more than happy to write an article on astronomical sketching if you would like...I've gained some experience in that field.

#7 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

Hi Gus, just noticed You're in the Netherlands.
Maybe Telescopedia needs a section on Observatories, I would be happy to help out...
:imawake: :goodjob:

#8 Zoeff

Zoeff

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Everyone has permissions to create a new page afaik. :)

#9 bruckner222

bruckner222

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: 5 miles west of Grants Pass, Oregon

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

Is your site down? Tried to access it in IE and in Chrome and nada??

#10 Zoeff

Zoeff

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

The domain expired, I've registered it again but not yet redirected.

Here's a temporary link: http://telescopedia....x.php/Main_Page

#11 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

An idea of photos I could provide on astronomical observatories: http://www.flickr.co...s/72473941@N03/
:imawake:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics