Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Brinkmann 9-LED Flashlight Review

By Richard Freeman.

#2 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

Flashlights with red LEDs are much more available now, and prices have dropped accordingly. They are great for astronomy, being very compact, durable, and having such low power requirements. If the only drawback to this one is having to cycle through the different lights just put it up to your hand to cover the light, then cycle it until you see the red LEDs making your skin glow. You can tell the difference.

I have one that has two separate switches for red and white light. I still have to use the light-pressed-to-the-palm trick to determine which light is on. The white light is great for policing the area when everyone is done to make sure all equipment is packed up.

I searched the web and found that pilots also use red lights, and there are plenty of aviation supply businesses that carry a tremendous variety of red and combination lights.

Thanks for the heads up on this useful and inexpensive option. I have three red lights in my astro tool box, but this one may be a nice addition.

Ed D

#3 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

I have a mini mag flashlight I have used for years with a cover but a couple of years ago I found a replacement Red LED insert that is designed for the mini mag and now I use less energy and have a pure red light. I purchased the kit from Nite Ize. Thanks for the review.

#4 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Kansas

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Saw these for sale in my local Home Depot yesterday. $3.50 for two! That's right, less than $2 each and batteries are included. Couldn't resist - had to buy. Thanks for the review - I would not have paid any attention at all to them were it not for your article. Thanks!!!

#5 tecmage

tecmage

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Glenview, IL

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I sometimes work with LEDs at work, and really wanted a red flashlight for observing. The opportunity to grab these was too much to pass up!

Wow Don, I need to visit my Home Depot and grab another pack.

#6 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Contrary to popular opinion, red light has a definite negative effect on your dark adaptation.

ANY light, red or whatever, will cause partial loss of deep dark adaptation.

Don Pensack (Starman1) has commented on this extensively.

This was brought home to me at the Golden State SP last year when a neighboring observer wrapped bright red lights around his tripod legs to keep people from bumping into his equipment.

Cast shadows for several feet.

:foreheadslap:

#7 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

A few months ago I bought a pkg of two of these primarily as a dog walking flashlight. A little too bright as is for star parties. Nice build, though. The green LED is a good touch for searching for dropped objects.

For Christmas I asked for and received a new Orion DualBeam. My old one was in poor condition after a dozen or so years of a lot of use. One of the white LEDs had either burned out or had a wiring failure.

Still, the Brinkman is a good value.

It still amazes me how inexpensive LED flashlights are today compared to just a few years ago.

#8 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

... A little too bright as is for star parties.

I also found it a little too bright. However, I then replaced one of the 3 AAA batteries with a length of aluminum rod cut to the size of an AAA battery. This dims the LEDs enough for me.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics