CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Vixen Space Eye 70m Alt-Azimuth Refractor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

• topic starter
  • Loc: 51°N (Belgium)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Vixen Space Eye 70m Alt-Azimuth Refractor

By Lawrence Carlino.

#2 mattyfatz

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

This Vixen review was great. I also enjoyed reading your review on the AT152 6" Achro. Thanks for putting these articles together for us.

#3 azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have Enjoyed this review and reviews in the past. You do have a gift in making clean comparisons and thorough well flowing reports. Ive enjoyed your 150mm cassegrain reviews, in one, comparing a Tak to a 6" Mak.

If its still around, a rerun of this pre-Christmas could save folks a lot of headache.

#4 Scott99

• Loc: New England

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Good to see more reviews from you Larry!

I give it a 10 out of 10 for the name - "Space Eye"

#5 astroneil

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

I read this review and thought this telescope might be worth a look. I picked up an older Skylux version(with German writing on the focuser) of this 'scope with very iffy optics but thought I'd take a chance with Vixen. Not on your nelly! The unit I received had (once again) unacceptable optics with noticeable spherical aberration and astigmatism; cheap yes, cheerful definitely not. If you want to introduce someone to the night sky, this is not a telescope I would recommend. It would likely put them off for good. A SkyWatcher ST-80 is Way Better IMO, or much better still, an ergonomic 6 inch f/8 Dob.

Vixen ought to know better than market this telescope for beginners. Award winning? How so?

It's like the story of Tasco all over again....

Neil. :bawling:

#6 Starlon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: desert, USA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Well - I have the 50mm version. And the very same alt/az mount as the 70mm in the review. The 50mm has good optics, and I took the ota off & installed a dovetail for use on a Vixen Mini Porta mount. I looked at Vixen ota's and selected this:

Now, that telescope is an entirely different proposition. It is a big step up from the toy-like 50mm & 70mm 'Space Eye'scopes. The Vixen A70Lf 70mm f/12.9 at 900mm FL for $139 it is a real performer. Especially when you opt for the package deal that includes the Vixen Mini Porta Mount for only $130 extra. Or - if you already have a mount.. Amazon has the same deal. It is easy to grab this scope and have a look out back. Or as a 'take with' scope.

#7 Ruimteman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:00 AM

In Tokyo in department stores this mount was always broken from thousands of people fiddling with it while the Mini Porta seems indestructible.

#8 oldtimer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

Last year I rescued a Meade 70mm 700mm from a Goodwill store. The first thing I did was trash the alt-az mount. Next I removed the baffles to allow full use of the 70mm. I mounted it up on an EQ1 and it performs remakebly well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics