Why not a Intes/Intes Micro Forum

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guilherme1

Guilherme1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Why not a Intes/Intes Micro specific instruments Forum? Or a Rusian Maksutovs Forum (Intes/Intes Micro/Santel/Mirage/Lomo). I'm asking for a such specific forum, but I cannot contact the administrator, I give that suggestion hereminitrators. I'm remebering the usefull forum we can also have for Russian Maks.

Best Regards

#2 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Looking at the Forum Index, I see that the "Telescope Specific Forums" are related to products by our sponsor.

#3 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

Looking at the Forum Index, I see that the "Telescope Specific Forums" are related to products by our sponsor.

There's no connection.

When Cloudy Nights was starting up, I volunteered to moderate a Questar forum since I was already moderating the Questar forum on Yahoo Groups. Alistair - who owned CN before Astronomics - said "Sure!" and the CN Questar forum was born. I wrote some of the "Q-Tips" entries that used to stick at the top. But unfortunately I was unable to keep up both forums and had to give up my duties here, and soon let my membership lapse as well. I returned a few years later and have stayed. There is some common membership between the forum here and my forum on Yahoo Groups. Each has its advantages.

The Questar is sufficiently unique and subject to hostile and bemused commentary from other scope owners that I think it should have its own forum. The big Russian scopes can hold their own among the other Cats and Cassegrains, so there is less need for a separate forum, but if you think you can make a case, go for it.

#4 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

I was just noting an observation, nothing more. I joined the group on Russian Scopes at the other site awhile back, but there was little activity, actually very little over the past three years, so I withdrew. Cloudy Nights provided more than enough information on the Intes Scopes; we have an Alter M500. I think Cloudy nights is a wonderful site and the format is great. I have no axe to grind, life is good.

#5 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

Oh I'm not grinding any axes either, just explaining how it is we have a Questar forum - and tooting my own horn a tiny bit. :grin:

If by "the other site" you mean AM, yeah, I seldom drop in there because the forum activity is low and the interesting stuff essentially zero. CN is where it's at for forums, AM is the place for buying and selling.

Best way to generate some interest in Intes is to post in the Cats and Casses forum singing its praises, the way we do here about our Questars. I'll bet most people have forgotten about the Intes since it hasn't been much discussed in recent years. People are probably confused about Intes vs. Intes Micro - as I am. I couldn't tell you where to find one, or what the model line is, or what the advantages of the scope are. You have an opportunity to let people know what they're missing, if you're in the mood to evangelize.

#6 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Larry,

My dad once said... "A little knowledge, is no knowledge at all". I've owned only six telescopes during my lifetime, now a seventh in what has up until reciently been a go it alone hobby; so, i'll have to defer to those more knowledgeable. Perhaps some day when my hair turns white I will evangelize, if Cloudy Nights permit it; I know somewhere I have a doctor of divinity degree from the ULC, which I got for donating a dollar about 40 years ago. :lol:

Cheers!

#7 Brian L

Brian L

Viking 1

• Loc: The garden paradise of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Count me in, comrade. My LOMO mak is a Russian bear that can hold its own against a Q7. Might not be pretty to look at, but...

#8 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

The feedback forum is the place to discuss changes to the site.
Brian

#9 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

People are probably confused about Intes vs. Intes Micro - as I am.

Just a name change they had to undergo at the time when something was changing in their incorporation status, most likely a purely legal requirement when they outgrew the original incorporation form. I am not an Intes history buff, but this seems pretty obvious from what I did read on their website, although they do not go into details.

These are very cool scopes, certainly up there with the best, and regardless of the performance I like their old-school professional appearance. Pity they do not go hard after the US market, so the only one I was able to lay my hands on was a strange "new, limited-stock, sold as used" one from Astronomics.

#10 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

You can't get the Russian scopes new in CONUSA anymore, can you? Teton telescopes has been put out of business by APM Germany. Got a MN56 just to see and was blown away by the optical quality. Now have a MN86. They are just so good but Teton just didn't sell many scopes. Guess we could be like the refractor forum, patting ourselves on the back for our good fortune to own one of these.

#11 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

You can't get the Russian scopes new in CONUSA anymore, can you? Teton telescopes has been put out of business by APM Germany.

I strongly suspect that the "limited stock, no warranty" bunch that Astronomics were selling (one of which I got) were from the liquidation of Teton.

#12 Brian L

Brian L

Viking 1

• Loc: The garden paradise of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Same is true of LOMO optics. They didn't have much of a footprint in North America to begin with, but neither of their U.S. dealers is carrying any of LOMO's astro products. I think they can't compete or are unwilling to compete with the glut of Chinese made scopes- which are good enough to satisfy the needs of most amateur astronomers. Like Questar, there are too few that can appreciate (or have need for) the superb optics Lomo, Intes, and Questar offer.

#13 Les

Les

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Superb optics? It was my ownership of an early model Intes-Micro M603 that steered me towards buying a Questar. Mediocre optics was the description that the dealer sent me when I returned it for service. Neither was it fun having the focuser seize up constantly in cold weather or getting my hands greasy from the "bear" grease that ran out of the finder scope focuser.

#14 SATMAN

SATMAN

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ 39.7 lat., -74.3 long

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

I don't know about that, my 95 Lomo Astele can give my Questar 3.5 a run for its money , I had it outside at 20 degrees F and the focuser worked fine!
Maybe I was just lucky. :grin:

#15 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

It is my understanding that the early Intes scopes did have problems with the optics and other working parts. Teton became the USA supplier and did a major QC check on every incoming scope and returned the bad ones. Intes then started to send the best scopes to Teton and the quality was among the very best. I was sad to see Teton go out of business.

Bill

#16 Les

Les

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Glad you got a good one. Just recounting my experience with a 6" I-M scope.

#17 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

Just turn the Questar forum into ALL MAKSUTOV'S...

#18 JohnH

JohnH

Vanguard

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

They are a niche scope like the Questar but at least the Q is still made

#19 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

John, I may be wrong but I believe Intes Micro are still made and sold in considerable numbers (as far as specialized optics goes) throughout Europe... It is only the North American market that is underserved by the distribution. My bet is that worldwide new sales of Intes Micro are at least several-fold higher than those of Questar, probably more than ten times. In other words, those Intes Micro models that are comparable to Questar (the portable models for visual observation) are considerably "less niche" than Questar. Such particularly specialized Intes Micro models as the very fast Mak-Newt astrographs (f/3, I believe, were made or at least offered)and large-aperture Mak-Casses (12" and up) are another matter.

#20 JohnH

JohnH

Vanguard

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

As an owner of both a 6" MN 61 Intes Micro and an 8" M809 f/10 Intes Micro Mak/Cass, I found the supply of of new ones so spotty that for all intents and purposes, one should consider them to be an instrument that is no longer made.

I have looked at a number of them and the most recent one I've seen is a 7" f/6 made back in 1996. It is going to replace my MN 61 which is up for sale. You can get larger custom sizes, but there are other people who make these instrument if you desire them and have the pocket book to back up this desire.

#21 rmel66

rmel66

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Intes telescopes are available in North America here:

http://www.stellaroptical.com/

#22 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

IM website still lists Astronomics as their exclusive US dealer...

#23 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

Astronomics did become an Intes-Micro dealer a few years ago (after Teton gave it up). They imported a dozen scopes and had them on display at NEAF in 2011, IIRC.

Then they learned that I-M will only ship their scopes in wooden containers and the heavy weight drove up the shipping costs too much. So Mike sold off his inventory and hasn't ordered any more.

I would love to see a forum devoted to Russian optics. My 8" STF-Mirage Mak can hold its own with anything in its size, but I get tired of telling people they have to go to Moscow to get one. :p

Cheers,

Ron

Attached Files

#24 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

There are just too few Russkies out there, and people are too interested in 'brand names' and not optical quality. Then there is the money factor- these scopes were expensive when new. Of the 3 I've had, got em all used at about 1/2 price of new. Then resold them for what I paid for them.

The Russian scopes taught me that Quality Optics is really what counts in a scope, especially a reflector. All my scopes that contain a mirror are now 1/10 wave or better.

#25 planetmalc

planetmalc

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

I have the best of both worlds: my Q7 was VERY secondhand and horribly dirty inside, so while I was trying to find someone in the UK to clean it, I acquired a 7" F10 Russian MCT, tapped a suitable hole into its mounting plate and fitted it to the Q7's forkmount -- lovely!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics