What scope do you prefer for outreach?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#76 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

The XT10 I mentioned above has a new observing buddy. I just added an Orion XT4.5 piggyback. It's pictured in the Reflectors forum (Messing Around...) and in my equipment photos in the galleries at the bottom of the forums page. I will be able to put the digital EP in one focuser and let the humans look in the other one at the same time.

#77 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

The XT10 I mentioned above has a new observing buddy. I just added an Orion XT4.5 piggyback. It's pictured in the Reflectors forum (Messing Around...) and in my equipment photos in the galleries at the bottom of the forums page. I will be able to put the digital EP in one focuser and let the humans look in the other one at the same time.

Ahh,

So THAT'S how yer gonna use it?

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

Brilliant. Whatever the case, it's sure to attract a lotta attention. I'd certainly cross the street for that.

#78 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

Would you cross the street for this one? Same base, different scope. It's a glass-filtered C5. Whole rig was on an EQ table for the May 20 partial eclipse. About 200 people crossed the street, so to speak.
Also pictured: mylar-filtered camcorder, PST with Meade electronic EP running a TC/VCR for crowd viewing and recording.

Attached Files

#79 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Brilliant. And yes. Think we're gonna start providing donuts as I am electronically challenged. Very nice.

#80 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

I use my 10-inch F/4.5 Dob for outreach, it allows children to look into the eyepiece with at most a step stool, adults can look into the eyepiece while seated. It's powerful enough to show some DSO's from a light polluted area, and the digital setting circles make locating objects for folks a lot easier too. The best point of my 10-inch is the very sharp optics, I wow people with views of Saturn and the moon at 300X. It's size and construction also serves as an example to the public that anyone with some effort can build a telescope just as good as mine.

Taras

#81 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

It's size and construction also serves as an example to the public that anyone with some effort can build a telescope just as good as mine.

Taras

Pic please? :drool5:

(Went to yer blog...Yer 6" Cherry Dob is SO beautiful, but yeah, I see what you mean about yer 10." Simple and elegant, and so compact! I would definitely be inspired to believe that even I could have a telescope. Congrats on yer blog, BTW. I've bookmarked it. Thanks.)

So much great stuff in this thread...

#82 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the thumbs up, I was using it last night to look at Jupiter before going to bed. Here is a picture of my 10-inch after I modified the base to accept the same handles I use to roll my 15-inch into and out of the house. My 15-inch truss tube Dob is next to it.

Taras

Attached Files

#83 omahaastro

omahaastro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, NE

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Posted Image

I usually take my 18", just because, it's generally the largest scope present (and quite frankly, the easiest scope for me to transport/setup), and gives folks the best chance to see some faint fuzzies in a little more detail. It's
a little more 'hands on', since I have to track manually, but the responses I get are worth the extra effort. :)

Now, if the Moon is well past first quarter, perhaps not the greatest viewing site... I'll take my SCT and focus on lunar/planetary targets. When on the Moon, I offer up my hand controller, let kids 'pan' across the surface. They get a real kick out of that.

NOW... if I'm running late, I'll sometimes grab my 8" Cave OTA and attach it to a Dob base I retrofitted it to.

By the way, I'm not one of these people who pulls out the cheap eyepieces for the public star party. The general public appreciates the views through the expensive glass, just as much as I do. Eye lash/finger smudges are easy enough to clean off.

#84 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

Oooo... I'd love to see an 18" at our outreach events!

#85 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Oooo... I'd love to see an 18" at our outreach events!

Here's my granddaughter Karina using my 18" at the Grand Canyon Star Party, where it is often the smallest among the dozen or so at that end of the lot. Luckily, Paul Lorenz set up his 16" behind mine so mine wouldn't feel so tiny among the eight or ten 22-24"

Attached Files

#86 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

I use the same telescope for outreach as I do for my primary viewing--a 12.5 inch Portaball.

#87 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Many telescopes appeared in a local stargazing camp last week. I had my little 4” Mak on a special platform for viewing by those riding on a wheel chair. They were thrilled in looking at the Sun during daytime and the Moon and Jupiter at night.

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

Attached Files

#88 tedbnh

tedbnh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Can you please provide some close-up views of your adapted mount? Thanks!

#89 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Herewith is a close-up view of this platform, which has been deployed on many occasions for use at star parties for the handicapped.
The platform is made up from a few pieces of wood that I have lying around. In fact it can be just a single piece of wood of about 5 feet long of cross section of about 3” x 4” which should be strong enough to support the weight of the eq. mount, ota, and counterweight at one end and the balance weight at the other end without undue vibration when in use.
The tripod is from a Celestron CG5-GT eq. mount with 2” stainless steel legs.
The wood beam is bolted onto the top plate of the tripod.
The eq. mount is fixed at one end of the beam through a hole with a long M10 bolt (10 mm metric size). In my case, 2 pc. 11 lb weight is placed at the other for balance. The eq. mount is to be placed adjacent to two legs and the balance weight is "on top" of the single leg at the other end. With this orientation the wheelchair is able to go under the wood beam without colliding with the two tripod legs when viewing the sky object.
At night time, I place small LED light at the lower part of each of the two tripod legs so that the person in wheelchair can avoid colliding with the two tripod legs.
Some of those on wheel chair have very restricted body movements and for which, besides rotating the diagonal, I use long extension tubes in front of the eyepiece to bring the eyepiece closer to their eye. For ota, I use SCT or MAK with 4” or 5” aperture.

Attached Files

#90 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

The platform is folded up for transportation and next to it is the carrying bag.

Attached Files

#91 prestonrich

prestonrich

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Washington DC Mayland suburbs

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

When I go on summer vacations w/the grandkids, often to dark sky locations, I will bring my BIPH w/a simple 135mm f/2 camera lens and a green laser pointer. I start w/astronomy teaching sessions inside to build wonder then take them out for the viewing session. SagA is always a treat. Then we'll do solar during the day w/beforehand briefings. Those kids are now all either science majors or science scholars. The love of science is infectious.

#92 Doug Reilly

Doug Reilly

Viking 1

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

I use whatever I'm most confortable with...as long as you're fluid with it, it will do just fine. And as long as you can get people to the eyepiece. I was doing outreach with an UTI-8 this fall, and ran into a new situation, a portly retiree whose belly kept pushing the scope out of the way before he could look through the eyepiece.

I made a dobstaff 10" f4.5 so I didn't have to have kids on the trapeze, but found it killed the knees on some elderly observers. Went to a 10" f7, great views, needed a stepladder but has worked well for all but the littlest.

I've used 6" newts and 4" refractors on a half-hitch mount. And now a 4" Vixen fluorite on a Giro III. I'm in the process of building an 8" f6 Strock-style folding dob for my bicycle astronomy project. That, I hope, is a good happy medium.

Tracking or no tracking, I don't mind, though I do appreciate DSCs. Sometimes M81 and M82 decide to be difficult, but only when I have people standing waiting! The DSCs also allow me to effortlessly find planets like Uranus and Neptune, which people get a kick out of seeing. I do too.

For me the biggest issue isn't aperture or optical quality or tracking or not, but ergonomics. What can people most comfortably look through. There is no one size fits all unfortunately.

A two-step folding ladder and a Starmaster observing chair, which is more like a portable railinged platform, are good to have around.

#93 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

+1
My Celestron NexStar 6se is a real croud pleaser.
The Go-To works well and the optics are very good, actually AMAZINGLY good when you think of the cost of the scope.
I usually bring 2-3 scopes with a friend or 2
Bringing my old Celestron C8 and showing what can be bought on the used market for $395.00.- $500.00 is a great way to
get people started
So is the old RV6 which can be found for as little as $200.00!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics