Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Xagyl Communications 1.25" 5-position Filter Wheel and LRGB Filters

By Christopher Madson.

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

I've had this for about 3 months now. The only update I'd give is on it's sturdiness! It worked through all the cold weather we've had in SD; the only issue I experienced was on an exceptionally cold night. @ about hour 6, the filter wheel experienced numerous fails because the software was timing out before the poor motor could the wheel. It was about -5F that night.

The other thing I ran into was the USB cable "cover" for one of the ends came off. Dan offered to send me a new one; however it clamped back together and I put some tape around it to make sure it wouldn't happen again.

Otherwise, I'm still extremely happy with this filter wheel. Good price, good service! Thanks again Dan.

#3 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Sounds like good gear. I wonder if there are adapters to put this in front of a baader diagonal. I think their website was not in the review. Ill recheck though.

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Website is @ http://www.xagyl.com...&cat=328&page=1

#5 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

thanks

#6 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

A couple questions...

Does it include an LRGB filter set or not? The CN review gives the impression filters are included but the retail descriptions don't really say so one way or the other. I would prefer that it didn't, already have enough filters.

Does it come with a standalone control program that DOESN'T need ASCOM? Tried ASCOM once and didn't like it, don't need it for anything else. Not gonna install it again just to spin a filter wheel.

#7 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Ok think I've figured it out. It comes either way, without or with filters for a higher price. And I see separate downloads for USB drivers and ASCOM drivers plus a firmware download. I assume that means ASCOM is not 'required' to operate it.

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

You can control it without ASCOM.

#9 CalAstro

CalAstro

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Comanche, OK USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm a bit confused as to the filters used in the USA. Are they the 0.5 or 0.6 filters? Which manufacturers make which filters with different threads sizes? Is there a table somewhere?

#10 CalAstro

CalAstro

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Comanche, OK USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

Has the filter wheel been tested with ASCOM drivers on a linux system?

#11 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clara, California

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Unfortunately, ASCOM drivers are Windows only. They're not going to work with Linux. Generally stuff that interfaces with hardware is not going to be cross platform, as the drivers for each are apparently too different to make this easy for software developers. There's a project on Linux called INDI that's trying to be the ASCOM for that platform, but the hardware support is not what it is on Windows. I can't say if they support this particular piece of hardware yet, but you might google it.

#12 Michael Morris

Michael Morris

• Loc: Worcestershire, UK

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

I have one of Xagyl's very early models of this wheel which worked great to begin with. However, it has now stopped working. My guess is that it's a problem with Windows updates. Xagyl response to my problem has been poor with a comment along the lines of 'oh you've got one of the really early ones, I'll get back to you' - no reply after 3 months so It's starting to feel a bit like they don't want to support this older model. I'll try them again and see if I get a more helpful response.

Edited by Michael Morris, 21 October 2014 - 10:50 AM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics