• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 G Blandin

G Blandin

Vendor (equatorial platforms)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm also thinking about doing these retrofit kits with a trade-in option. It wouldn't be a full refund, but would offset the cost for sure. As long as I can then resell the parts returned at a discounted price it would work out. I'll let you know what I come up with.

#27 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

What exactly has to be changed to support a higher or lower altitude beyond what shimming can accomplish? I would have thought just the curved part or am I missing something? I can see where it would be advantageous to be able to swap that out and cost effective. Lets say you live in Indiana but you go to Chiefland or the WSP in the keys or both for that matter every year.....Not going to be doing that with shimming :)

#28 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

What exactly has to be changed to support a higher or lower altitude beyond what shimming can accomplish? I would have thought just the curved part or am I missing something?

The easiest way to do this is to replace the upper arm assembly, but you're right it's basically the curved pieces in the back, but also the angles in the front of the upper arm assembly. I'm planning on having a few of these for my platform for when I travel. So far I've been shimming and last year at OSP it was a 6 degree shim which is too much really.

#29 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

Ahhh now that you mention it, looking at the pics I can see what you mean....Nice that the design allows for changing those parts out easily. Well as you know I am on the list for one....It it works as good as it looks it will be a great platform :) I will likely be intrested getting the parts to support another location at some point.....and I agree, shimming to 6 degrees would be pusing the envelope :)

What exactly has to be changed to support a higher or lower altitude beyond what shimming can accomplish? I would have thought just the curved part or am I missing something?

The easiest way to do this is to replace the upper arm assembly, but you're right it's basically the curved pieces in the back, but also the angles in the front of the upper arm assembly. I'm planning on having a few of these for my platform for when I travel. So far I've been shimming and last year at OSP it was a 6 degree shim which is too much really.

#30 BrendanF

BrendanF

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

I am interested in a platform so I can do reasonable integrations with my Mallincam in all areas of the sky. However, I have a goto system on my dob (a Starmaster) which uses the round base board edge as a driving surface for the azimuth drive(the drive gear sticks down from the rocker box), and thus cannot be removed. Additionally, some clearance is needed below and around the ground board.

Do you think some sort alternate mounting would be possible?

When do you expect your website to go live?

Thanks.

#31 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

There are people who have disabled goto systems with platform drives, I go observing with one of them. The modifications would depend on your system. For some it's just a matter of disconnecting everything from the rocker and setting it on top of the platform. The platform bearing surface is also adaptable. For example, I have a solid aluminum surface on my 16" and 25". So I remove the teflon pads and place 3 small roller bearing assemblies in place of them. This adds another inch of height, but is very smooth (I actually need to put a drag brake on it because it moves too easily) How much additional clearance would you need? An inch or 2 would be easy, but would add a little extra height of course. Anyway, I'm not familiar with your particular set up, but I might be able to help if you could e-mail some pics to admin@blandintechnicalsolutions.com I do have a website, but it's for my other business which is medical equipment. I'll be selling these out of the same company and adding pages to my site soon.

#32 Shneor

Shneor

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hi Gregg,
Nice to see you on CN! Best of luck on your business!

Clears,

#33 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Everyone, thanks for the interest and comments!

I will be starting a production run next week which will include all orders received by March 31, 2012 at the introductory prices quoted. Until I get my web site up, I've attached an order form with the platform specs for those interested. If you want to be included in this production run, please send in your order before March 31, 2012. I will send an order form to anyone who has previously contacted me by e-mail or PM.

Attached Files

#34 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

I got an email from Gregg yesterday stating he had finished the frame for mine and was hoping to catch a clear spot in the weather to test it out, then it would be off to the anodizer. It appears mine will be the 1st off the line in this 1st production run. I am looking forward to using it.

I recently caught a deal on Craigslist for one that works for my 12.5" for $100 but it rolls over and plays dead if it sees my 20" :)

Due to the size and weight of my Obsession 20 I ordered the "heavy" version....

#35 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

For anyone who is going to TSP, you have an oppotunity to try a platform free for one night. I'm sending a heavy duty platform to Alvin Huey who will be there. The platform will be setup with several pad distances to accommodate most scope sizes so if you want a free trial for one night at TSP, please contact Alvin Huey at alvin.huey@att.net and make arrangements with him.

#36 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Here's a picture of one of the heavy duty platforms I just completed for the current production run.

Attached Files

#37 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

That looks familiar :)

#38 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Here's a picture of the 2 models side by side to compare. I just weighed the Heavy Duty Model and it weighs 17 pounds.

Attached Files

#39 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Its a fact....I weighed my heavy model this past sunday on a super accurate industrial digital scale....17.8 lbs

With my 170 lb 20" on it I really can feel no difference between with it and without it.....Weather has not allowed me to test further other than it does track and is very stable.

#40 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

I've built my first 2 heavy duty production platforms with a new feature to make resetting the platform easier.(picture shown) There is a lever that is lowered to reset the platform which reduces the drive wheel friction. I just delivered one to Alvin Huey and he will be using it soon and posting pictures.

Attached Files

#41 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

I've just shipped my second heavy duty production platform with a new feature to make resetting the platform easier. The platforms now have a lever which when lowered, reduces the friction on the drive wheel. Alvin Huey has received one and will be using it soon and posting pictures. Here's a picture of the first one being tested with my 10" home made dob and a close-up of the reset lever.

Attached Files

#42 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Here's the close-up of the reset lever.

Attached Files

#43 sslcm56

sslcm56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montgomery, Al.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Ok, I use a HALO setting circle/leveling base. The dob base is 22" accros that would put the setting circle base at about 25 1/4". I could always cut off the feet and attach the two I guess. Is there anything that can be done for me?

#44 sslcm56

sslcm56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montgomery, Al.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Ok, I use a HALO setting circle/leveling base. The dob base is 22" accros that would put the setting circle base at about 25 1/4". I could always cut off the feet and attach the two I guess. Is there anything that can be done for me?

#45 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greater Sacramento region

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

I've updated my website to include current information to support my friend Gregg.

http://www.faintfuzz...ervingAids.html

Scroll to the bottom.

#46 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

The EQT-200 has been redesigned with an internal motor which is quieter and has more torque than the previous version. The platform on the left is original version and the one on the right is the new version. There are no external cables on the EQT-200. I've also added a reset lever which makes resetting the platform easier. The reset lever will be a standard feature on both the EQT-120(medium duty) and EQT-200(heavy duty) platforms.

Attached Files

#47 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Here's a picture of the new version by itself.

Attached Files

#48 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Very pleasing to my eyes!

#49 Gord

Gord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hi Gregg, Alvin,

These are very beautiful looking platforms! A simple, clean elegance to them.

Hope you guys don't mind and that this isn't too off topic, but ever since you showed the first picture, it looked very familiar. Long ago I found a neat asterism in M31 that looked like an arrow (or maybe a spaceship with some imagination :lol:), and now I'd say it also looks like your platform. This platform to help see the stars, is actually *in* the stars! See the attached (annotated) image.

Observing notes on it, from my light polluted backyard I find it takes the 8" to be able to pick it out. The stars are probably easier to see in the eyepiece than in images due to the cameras picking up so much more.

Again, great work on these and I just wanted to share this with you.

Clear skies!

Attached Files

#50 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

Just like to thank all of my customers for their support. Clear skies and happy tracking!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics