• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 BrendanF

BrendanF

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Would it be possible to upgrade an older version to the newer version? Are the modifications limited to just that one piece, such that one could disassemble the platform and just send that segment back for upgrade and/or replacement?

I have one of the early ones (heavy duty version), and the motor noise is the most objectionable part of it, so a quieter one would be a plus, if it could be done at a reasonable cost. The reset lever seems nice also.

Thanks

#52 G Blandin

G Blandin

Vendor (equatorial platforms)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

Yes the platform can be modified to the newest version and I have already done this for another customer. The new platforms have a quieter motor and the reset lever. If you are interested, please send me an e-mail or PM and I can go over the details with you.

#53 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

Does this track in both axis? How long till it reaches a stop?

#54 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

It's a single axis although I have plans to do 2 axis in the future. It tracks for 1 hour.

#55 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

Gregg, can the smaller platform upgraded as well? 36 observing sessions and 120+ resets later mine still works as well as it did new.

#56 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

It's a single axis although I have plans to do 2 axis in the future. It tracks for 1 hour.

iF WE LIVE UP NORTH LIKE 42-45 DEG n, WOULD THE TILT BE TOO EXCESSIVE TO KEEP THE DOB BASE, ON THE SYSTEM?

#57 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:35 AM

The platform stays level in the north-south plane, regardless of the latitude. It tilts a maximum of plus and minus 7.5 degrees from the center only in the RA axis as it tracks. So when it is reset, it is tilted at 7.5 degrees with the high side to the west. When the one hour tracking cycle is complete, it is tilted 7.5 degrees with the high side to the east. It's an equatorial mount that basically always stays level.

#58 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

Gregg, can the smaller platform upgraded as well? 36 observing sessions and 120+ resets later mine still works as well as it did new.

Yes, the smaller platforms can be upgraded with a different motor and the reset lever. The heavy duty models can be upgraded with either an internal or external motor, but the medium duty can only be upgraded with the same style external mount motor because the tubing is not large enough for the internal motor. But still, it's a quieter more powerful, motor.

#59 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

The platform stays level in the north-south plane, regardless of the latitude. It tilts a maximum of plus and minus 7.5 degrees from the center only in the RA axis as it tracks. So when it is reset, it is tilted at 7.5 degrees with the high side to the west. When the one hour tracking cycle is complete, it is tilted 7.5 degrees with the high side to the east. It's an equatorial mount that basically always stays level.

So it is not polar alligned, but still called an equitorial?

#60 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

It is polar aligned and does move in the equatorial plane, yet stays level in the north to south direction.

#61 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Here's a link to the updated Web Page:

http://www.faintfuzz...m/CrossBow.html

#62 G Blandin

G Blandin

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

Here's a picture of the EQT-200, newest version with internal motor, reset lever and bubble level. This one is for 37 degrees latitude.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics