CG4 tube extension?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, CA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

I've read on CN and other sites that Orion's SkyView Pro mount extension works on CG4 mounts, but I am unsure if its only the "omni" cg4 mounts with the steel tube legs or if it'll fit the all black CG4 models as well. I have the all black CG4 model with awesome wooden legs from Hands On Optics, and I wanted to possibly add the mount extension so I can leave the legs retracted and closer to ground while being able to view zenith without the scope hitting the legs.

So, my questions are:

1. Will the Orion SkyView Pro tube extension fit my CG4?
2. If it does fit, is it a true fit or does it require some "hacking"?
3. Is it even worth adding? e.g. Does adding the extension make the mount feel wobbly or flimsy? I plan on using this mount with 4" f/9 ED.

From the picture, I don't quite understand how the three holes on the bottom would fit my tripod. It seems it would be incompatible.

Thanks,

-James

#2 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Does adding the extension make the mount feel wobbly or flimsy?

Definately not for my cg4 with steel legs. I use it with the legs retracted as you mentioned. Rock solid.
I can not comment on the older version of cg4 or your tripod. If no other posts lead you in the right direction, and you require any measurements of the parts of the extension or pics, I can arrange that but not until tomorrow.

Eric

#3 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

Hello Eric,

That would actually be much appreciated. I will go ahead and take pictures of the mount separated from the tripod as well and post them on here to see if there's a difference between the two

-James

#4 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

Wow your up late! No i guess its me up late EDT. Will get at it later today.

Eric

#5 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:31 AM

I work from home and I'm a software developer/hacker. Staying up late kinda goes with the lifestyle. Besides, who wants to get up for work in the mornings when there's much better things to do like sleeping :lol:

Thanks!

-James

#6 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

This is the bottom part of the extension:

Posted Image

The raised part that sits in the tripod hub is 2 1/4 inches in diameter. The whole part is 4" in diameter. The raised part does not have to be a perfect fit as long as it fits inside the hub. The other concern is the size of the center bolt that will screw into this part. It needs to be an M10 sized bolt which is what the current CG4 is sized to accept, as well as the mount extension. It probably is but you may want to remove your center bolt and confirm somewhere that it is M10. If this bottom part fits and can be screwed in properly then you are set for the bottom. The tube part of the extension is then placed over the bottom part and secured with 3 of the 6 bolts that come with it holding it solidly in place.

This is the top part of the extension:

Posted Image

The mount sits in the recessed area which is just shy of 2 1/2" in diameter. It is held in place by the screw on the left. Again this screw is an M10. The bottom of my CG4 mount is 2 1/4" in diameter and fits fine. The extra space is not relevant. The top assembly with mount attached is then held in place on top of the extension with the other 3 bolts holding it solidly in place.

Eric

#7 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

I've read on CN and other sites that Orion's SkyView Pro mount extension works on CG4 mounts, but I am unsure if its only the "omni" cg4 mounts with the steel tube legs or if it'll fit the all black CG4 models as well. I have the all black CG4 model with awesome wooden legs from Hands On Optics, and I wanted to possibly add the mount extension so I can leave the legs retracted and closer to ground while being able to view zenith without the scope hitting the legs.

I've used the Orion extension on the CG-5, the Omni CG-4 and the old black CG-4. Fits fine on all of them.

#8 iceblaze

iceblaze

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

Hello Guys,

Thanks! OK, I see it now.. I ended up getting too busy to take pictures today but all of this really helps

Cheers,

-James

#9 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hate to revive an old thread, but the 102XLT has had a lot of new owners lately, and we've all noticed the crawling on our bellies on the ground. I'm 5'7", and with the tripod legs all the way down, how tall a pier do you use???????

#10 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

The mount extension talked about above is 16"

Eric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics