• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hi,

A very interesting phenomenon has been imaged on Mars. Look here for details. :cool:

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Yea, that's very interesting. Seeing them on a different planet is cool. I see them here, on planet earth, tonight.

#3 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

WOW, that is really interesting.

Ed D

#4 tigerroach

tigerroach

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Sweet!

Just waiting for the sun to go down... hopefully the high-altitude winds that destroyed the seeing from here last night will be gone.

#5 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

Here is a sketch of mars performed last night with a 203mm.
A yellow cloud spreading as shown and a cloud seen at the limb (high altitude).
May be some others catched the event.
Stanislas-Jean

Attached Files

#6 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

That is so cool. :cool:

Rich (RLTYS)

#7 ggalilei

ggalilei

Apollo

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Interesting image, and great observing skills. I'm just beginning to learn, I can only see the brightening of the western limb.
Are they carbon dioxide clouds?

#8 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

They are presently white clouds on the equator area made of materials coming from the thawing of the polar cap. These brightenings in fact are a mist (dust and hazze majorily) staying for the most at the limb and terminator. They are called white clouds.
Now recently was viewd a yellow cloud on noachis pandorae fretum area with an altitude cloud. This was first reported in US by MMr Parker Don and Mark Philips may be 2 days before, but not on the same area as shown on the sketch.
This is a big event that may be greater in activity with time.
Stanislas-Jean

#9 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

They are presently white clouds on the equator area made of materials coming from the thawing of the polar cap. These brightenings in fact are a mist (dust and hazze majorily) staying for the most at the limb and terminator. They are called white clouds.
Now recently was viewd a yellow cloud on noachis pandorae fretum area with an altitude cloud. This was first reported in US by MMr Parker Don and Mark Philips may be 2 days before, but not on the same area as shown on the sketch.
Stanislas-Jean

No, the clouds closer to the equator are mainly either morning hazes or orographic clouds that form as the martian atmosphere is forced upwards by high topographic features such as the martian volcanoes in Tharsis. Most of the brighter white clouds are orographic in nature with the more prominent ones forming over areas like Olympus Mons or the other Tharsis shields. The southern limb clouds currently are the polar hazes, but the ones over the equator are not. Clear skies to you.

#10 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Interesting image, and great observing skills. I'm just beginning to learn, I can only see the brightening of the western limb.
Are they carbon dioxide clouds?

Some may be, but others are high altitude water ice clouds. Clear skies to you.

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Stanislas,

A very nice set of sketches showing the Meridiani/Erythraeum/Acidalium albedo features as well as the multitude of clouds visible around the Martian disk.

Stanislas-Jean

This is the cloud that I referred to in my original post and provided the link to imagery by Wayne Jaeschke. Don Parker has an excellent image posted on the Yahoo Mars Observers website but I think you have to be a member of the group to view it (for those out there who would like to see it).

Some estimates put this cloud rising to an altitude of 250 km (160 miles). Some people liken it to a plume rather than a cloud (like a volcanic plume). There is some speculation that the origin of the cloud/plume could be the impact of a large body into the Martian surface. That's not fetched that far--there have been plenty of impacts on Mars in the past. :cool: Others feel that it is an illusion of lighting and imagery artifacts on the terminator.

#12 WayneJ

WayneJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Chester, PA

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi all,

Just an FYI that the phenomena on Mars was mentioned in a story on MSNBC today. Cloudy Nights was mentioned (with a link to this thread!)

Mysterious cloud spotted on Mars

Regards,

Wayne

#13 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

Velly Intalesting ! :shocked: I seen it on the 19th, but just figured it was some dark marking I didn't know about, as I am not familiar with the Martian markings and their names.

#14 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

I did a second observation of Mars yesterday night with the same scope and the 305mm to see if something change also.

1st thing, this appeared less conspiscious than the day before but what happened was this bright dot at the limb brighter than the yellow patch that was a stretched band appearnce in red color.

2nd thing, the bright dot at the limb involved me a confusion sothat some high altitude cloud was expected in the 200mm. Some glare effect due to the brightness of the dot at the limb. This was not seen at the 305mm at the same period time.

Globally what was seen yesterday was less strong than the day before, the overall size of the yellow patch less contrasty in intensity and size.
People at japanese CMO body said this could be more an aurorae than clouds itselves. Personnally I don't know but this is strange to see. I think globally this opposition more cloudy and hazzy with the cap thawing processus. May be something in relation.
The sketches of yesterday night here.
These last observations here doesnot put on question the observations above of the before yesterday night.

I am BAA member Mark, and CN forum participating, interresting here for some exchanges.
Stanislas-Jean

Attached Files

#15 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Very nice sketches Stanislas. I've had no luck seeing the projection with my 152mm refractor. Will try again tonight.

cm

#16 Shadowalker

Shadowalker

Apocaloptimist

• Loc: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, USA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hey, You guys got a mention on MSNBC. Good work!

http://cosmiclog.msn...spotted-on-mars

#17 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm still following the story on this cloud formation. Have they definitively put forth an explanation yet? And did you guys see anything new since? I've had a couple clear nights lately, but can't get the time to do any quality observing.

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics