Intelliscope Compatible Software

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 waynemia

waynemia

Vostok 1

• Loc: Springtown, TX

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

I want to get a software package that is compatible with the Orion Intelliscope. I have an XT10i. It came with a special edition of Starry Night. I am looking for a program that will display my scope position on-screen for use during an observation session. I am a complete novice, had the scope 2 weeks. The special edition has the interface to the scope. I am looking for something maybe a step up but maybe less than $200. The special edition is not too bad but I there are some things in SkyX, Stellarium, and Cartes du Ciel I like also.

Any ideas, opinions, or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne

#2 SteakFury

SteakFury

Sputnik

• Loc: Columbia, MD

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

I do not have an Intelliscope but won't Stellarium and CdC work if you install the ASCOM drivers? With Stellarium using StellariumScope works well for getting things set up and initiated.

I believe SkyX lists compatibility with the Intelliscope as well.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

ASCOM has an Intelliscope driver, so any ASCOM compatible program (Cartes du Ciel, for example) will work.

#4 yaroslav_s

yaroslav_s

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Kyiv, Ukraine

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Sky Safari Plus or Pro, Mac, iOS or Android versions.

#5 waynemia

waynemia

Vostok 1

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the input. I have updated the Orion Starry Night software and I am learning to use it better. I still don't have a connection cable though. This version does not allow me to set night vision or a lot of other features. I don't have anything that would work with Sky Safari.

#6 yaroslav_s

yaroslav_s

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Kyiv, Ukraine

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

In any case I suggest you to buy this
http://www.usconvert...products_id=228
and to get wireless bluetooth connection of Intelliscope COL with computer (or phone).
How to do it and lots of other useful information here: http://maxwell.fief....telliscope.html

#7 waynemia

waynemia

Vostok 1

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

In any case I suggest you to buy this
http://www.usconvert...products_id=228
and to get wireless bluetooth connection of Intelliscope COL with computer (or phone).
How to do it and lots of other useful information here: http://maxwell.fief....telliscope.html

Thank you for the links. I had thought about doing BT but I already have a USB adapter and maybe a laptop with a DB-9 RS-232 port on it. I have also been reading Mark De Smet's page. I need a cable and I just need to look and see if I have the parts to make one. I would not mind ordering one but I don't like the shipping cost. :o

#8 waynemia

waynemia

Vostok 1

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

So far, not impressed. :shrug: I installed a USB to RS-232 device and connected the Intelliscope to Starry Night Orion Special Edition 6.4 and ASCOM 6. Perhaps my expectations were incorrect. I thought the software would follow my scope around like a little puppy. I tried aligning the scope first as suggested by Orion and setup the ASCOM settings for my scope.

The update rate is pitifully slow. It takes several seconds for the screen to move after the scope is moved. I was expecting to be able to set the magnification to something similar to what I was using on the scope and then have the software help show the names of what I was looking at, photos, etc. So far, it ain't worth the effort. :tonofbricks:

I have not given up, yet. I will try again and use the Starry Night alignment and see if that is any better. My laptop is not a slouch so it should not be the source of the problems. :bawling:

#9 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

How about the Intelliscope's ID function? Does that help?

Do you own a smartphone? Could you install and use Sky Safari Plus or Pro? Even wirelessly, it'd be a smaller package to handle-- no cables or laptop!

#10 waynemia

waynemia

Vostok 1

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

How about the Intelliscope's ID function? Does that help?

Do you own a smartphone? Could you install and use Sky Safari Plus or Pro? Even wirelessly, it'd be a smaller package to handle-- no cables or laptop!

I have a Blackberry, nothing with an Apple logo.

It was working, although slowly, until I pressed a button on the controller. There was too much to see to try to realign it and try again last night. I suspect that the data flow is interrupted if you try to use the handheld while being connected to the RS-232 port. It takes several minutes to to the alignment in Starry Night. Orion said I should align the scope first but that did not seem to matter. At the end of the alignment in Starry Night, it showed the last star. As you move the scope there is a big lag between the movement and the screen update. It is not possible to use the screen to point at something as a result.

#11 knightware

knightware

Vendor (Knightware)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Waynemia,

I can offer some suggestions to try and identify the source of your problem:

1) Try to see whether the driver supports asynchronous communication with the mount. If it only supports synchronous communication, the driver waits for signals from the mount and this is likely causing some of your problem.

2) Have you tried different ASCOM compliant software in place of Starry Night? If another program is responsive, Starry Night is the culprit. If another program is slow, Starry Night is probably not the source of the issue.

3) Have you tried using Starry Night with the mount but not the hand controller? I don't have an Intelliscope mount so I don't know whether this is a reasonable test.

What you are trying to do is reasonable so I hope you can diagnose the problem.

#12 waynemia

waynemia

Vostok 1

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Phyllis. I used it last night. It will work if you don't use any buttons on the Intelliscope. It follows the scope but it takes several seconds to update. The communications comes from the handheld. The scope mount does not have RS-232 output on it. It is also async. I did try Cartes du Ciel briefly but had some problems. I may try it again. I tried Stellarium briefly as well. It is hard to spend the night fiddling with the software instead of looking at things. ;) It is hard to work on it during the day because it can't be aligned.

I really want the Intelliscope features to work also. It is a lot easier to find things using the Intelliscope than trying to point it on the laptop.

I have not given up though. :D

#13 waynemia

waynemia

Vostok 1

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Another frustrating night with the link to Starry Night. I am going to order another USB to RS-232 converter. I have an older one so maybe this will help it. I have reached out to Starry Night for help but they just posted my problem on a forum. :( Orion wants to help. I was chatting with them yesterday but lost the connection. :foreheadslap: I will wait for the new USB cable before trying again. It uses up a lot of viewing time.

#14 waynemia

waynemia

Vostok 1

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Another attempt at using the Intelliscope with Starry Night. I ordered a new USB to RS232 converter. This one is specified to work with Win7, 64bit. The response of the computer was better and smoother. IO did confirm that it does not work if you try to use the Intelliscope while connected to the computer. Whatever happens to the data to the computer does not recover. It loses the alignment. So if you are star hopping, the pc can follow you. You can also try to point the scope using the computer but that is just silly since the Intelliscope is much easier to use.

It seems that the link to a goto computer might be OK but using it for the Intelliscope just isn't worth it. If I could use the Intelliscope and have the computer follow me, that would be OK. I have attempted this about 10 or more times and the same thing happens.

I have not been able to get any input from the folks at Starry Night. I may try to see if there is anything at the company that sources the Intelliscope handheld.

#15 skysurfer

skysurfer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NL, N 52 E 6

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Software is for me not the question (Skysafari should work with it), but is there a decent USB => Wifi or Bluetooth converter which works with Skysafari ?

#16 Diver

Diver

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Intelliscope does not work with ascom 6.0 and from the extremely poor responses from Orion it may never. However, on the cd that came with the scope you will fin ascom 5 installation and drivers that will work.
I found updates to ascom 5a and 5.5 that will work on win7 also. Look up intelliscope drivers for win 7 online.

Hope this helps.

#17 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Stellarium (v 11.1) controls the Intelliscope very well. And you don't have to install any special drivers.

#18 KenSikes

KenSikes

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

I know this is an older post, but Earth Centered Universe works great with my son's 8" Intelescope. ECU has a built in driver for the Intelescope and avoids the troublesome Ascom drivers. I have also found problems with Ascom on my Atlas mount and use the ECU one for bettet accuracy.

Ken Sikes

#19 Tim D

Tim D

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I use SkySafari Plus on my Iphone 4s, in order to use with app with a XT10i or XT10g, you need to buy the SkySafari Skywire or Skyfi. For the Skywire, you connect it to your older Iphone 4S or below and then connect it to the RS-232 cable that came with the telescope that connects to the bottom of the Controller.
This is only for Apple products, Sorry, I didnt know you can run it from any laptop IOS/windows. I always thought that SkySafari was a Apple/Android App for portable devices.
If you go to SkySafari's website and look at the FAQ for Android Devices, they have a couple of answers about USB/Bluetooth connections, what works and does not work. It works great on my XT10g, it shows where my scope is pointed and moves with it as I select targets.
Tim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics