• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jsm174

jsm174

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hello.

Last week I purchased my first telescope, a SkyProdigy 130. So far I am happy with it. It does work as advertised. I set it up, waited for it to auto align, and when I selected Jupiter, it was right in the center of the eyepiece!

So I really wanted to use this scope with SkySafari+. I picked up a Celestron serial cable, a SkyFi (updated it to 2.3.1), and hoped I would be good to go. Unfortunately no luck. I manually telnet'd into the SkyFi hoping I could issue some commands that I found looking at the NexStar reference document. No communication whatsoever. Nothing being echo'd to telnet, etc.

I contacted Tim and Southern Stars and he said he's had reports from other users and to "stay tuned". So that's encouraging.

I wanted to do some more research, so today I hooked the scope directly to a PC and tried with Putty and Hyperterminal. Again, nothing. I did get a couple random bytes to appear when I turned the scope on, but after that, nothing.

I've poured through Celestron's site and I can't seem to find any firmware updates or much documentation on SkyProdigy/StarSense.

The only directory I could find was:

http://software.cele...nse&sortby=name

And it's empty.

I've looked all over the internet and even on this site, and it seems there is just very little information about SkyProdigy and StarSense.

I did put a ticket into Celestron last Monday, but I have yet to hear back.

I'm not sure if anyone has encountered this issue, but I thought it would be good to start a topic.

-- Jason

#2 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the CloudyNights Forums. I don't own a SkyProdigy scope, so I don't know how much help I give you. However, the StarSense is a serial cable and if you are using a serial-to-usb adapter ... that could be the source of your communication problems. Some serial-to-usb adapter brands will not work when connected to Celestron and Meade scopes. I use a Keyspan adapter and have had no problems communicating with my Meade and Celestron scopes. Good luck troubleshooting your problem ... it can be very frustrating!

Jim

#3 jsm174

jsm174

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

Hello and thank you!

Since my last post, I tried to rule out and troubleshoot as much as I could. I used an old laptop with XP and tried running the NSOL app. I did as many of the troubleshooting steps from http://www.nexstarsi...rolProblems.htm as I could. I tried two different USB to serial adapters. (Both adapters were able to update my SkyFi's firmware.) Unfortunately I could not get hold of a computer with a real serial port.

I had posted an email in Celestron's ticketing system early last week, and still had no reply, so yesterday I searched and found a phone number and called technical support directly.

The technician was extremely nice, and without even a pause, immediately said the SkyProdigy does not yet support serial control -- it's too new of a scope. They have no estimation on when or if it would get updated. Could be a year, etc. They even suggested maybe I could return the scope from where I bought it. (I don't want to do that.)

I tried to see if I could get the hand controller into firmware programming mode by pressing the Info and Back, and several other key combinations. Each of them resulted in an "HC Trap Exception", so who knows if it can even be updated.

Oh well, I'll keep hoping...

-- Jason

#4 jsm174

jsm174

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

One more update... Got an official response from the ticketing system:

Thank you for contacting Celestron Technical Services. Unfortunately, Celestron’s eSupport email system recently had an issue where some customer responses were not forwarded to Technical Support. We sincerely apologize for the delay in response time and service that this has caused. The issue has now been resolved and we are working on responding to all customer emails. Unfortunately the SkyProdigy software does not allow control with software. There are no current plans for this as of yet.

Thank you,

Celestron Technical Services

#5 SkyRemat

SkyRemat

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hi,
Just go and buy Celestron Hand Control (AZ) 93988, it works with skyprodigy(no star sense though) but you can use it with skysafari(chose nexstar se from the setup of the software) doing 1,2 or 3 star or sky align aligment.
thanx

#6 SEJ

SEJ

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Jason,
I just got a SkyProdigy 102 and am going to take it out for first light in about an hour.

I'm interested in getting a SkyFi as well and was wondering if you've had any luck getting the two to work together.
Thanks,
Eric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics