Celestron SkyQ Link

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#101 wrz0170

wrz0170

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bethlehem, Pa

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

Does anyone have Sky Safari wifi and SkyQ for comparison?

#102 park

park

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hangzhou, China

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

Does SkyQ work with SkySafari yet?

#103 wrz0170

wrz0170

Mariner 2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

I think Celestron has their own software for SkyQ. So I was wondering on the comparison between the two.

#104 wrz0170

wrz0170

Mariner 2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

I think Celestron has their own software for SkyQ. So I was wondering on the comparison between the two.

Well, I decided that for $4.99 (price of a beer), to try the SkyQ iPad App and compare with Sky Safari. I might just go ahead and get the wireless and give it a good go. Worse comes to worse, sell off one of them?

#105 park

park

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hangzhou, China

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

wrz0170,

That's very kind of you.

Look forward to your comparison review.

#106 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

One thing I did read a bit ago, was that you could not advance the time in the Cele app. It may seem trivial, but I use that function in Sky Safari quite a bit!

Just taking a cursory look around, i'd think that the Cele app may compare somewhat to the basic version of Sky Safari. I too would like to know if Sky Safari would work witht he Cele hardware.

Cheers!

Andy

#107 wrz0170

wrz0170

Mariner 2

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

One thing I did read a bit ago, was that you could not advance the time in the Cele app. It may seem trivial, but I use that function in Sky Safari quite a bit!

Just taking a cursory look around, i'd think that the Cele app may compare somewhat to the basic version of Sky Safari. I too would like to know if Sky Safari would work witht he Cele hardware.

Cheers!

Andy

Comparing it to basic Sky Safari is an excellent way of describing it. There are some things I like and things not crazy about.

One thing that separates SF is the very active participation of the developers on the Yahoo Forums. They take an interest and solicit ideas from their users for future updates. Big plus there.

I will be interested to see where Celestron takes their App

#108 katie

katie

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Maryland

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

... One thing that separates SF is the very active participation of the developers on the Yahoo Forums. They take an interest and solicit ideas from their users for future updates. Big plus there....

+1 on SF taking a participative interest.

Curious. Has Celestron ever taken an interactive role (i.e. user forum, enhancing a product based on that forum, direct discussion with users) for any product? I am not referring to their knowledgebase, but a true forum.

My experience is that they throw products over the wall and let the consumers (using self-preservation forums and web sites) work out the nuances. Some users occasionally post a 2nd hand account of "Here is what Celestron told me...", but a Celestron response is a no-show.

Hey, maybe I am wrong, and if I am please correct me.

#109 Mogster

Mogster

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Manchester, England

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

So does this Celestron WIFI module work with Sky Safari?

I'd like the option to still use SS on the iPad for visual sessions and maybe operate the scope from the PC during imaging. There's no PC version of SS.

#110 MarvinTheMartin

MarvinTheMartin

Sputnik

• Loc: Ohio 39*27'17.0" N 84*27'36.7" W

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Better Yet, can I get it to work with SB TheSkyX PRO? And this is an answer to the guy having all the issues on the first couple pages of this. If you just walk around your scope and use the eyepiece the only advantage you gain is a sky map to see in the sky where you are going. If your an Imager or Mallancam guy/gal then this is a big plus. I have my laptop in the garage along with a 27" view sonic getting it's feed from my HDMI port on the laptop. I can have 3 windows side by side on that thing and a planetarium on my laptop screen. This is awesome. Can't wait to get one.

#111 Gary Z

Gary Z

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

I've been using the SkyQ for a few months. Using the NexRemote to align can be a painful experience...especially in the back, but once it is aligned, it is quite fun.

#112 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

I'd posted to NexStar forum, but will summarize my experience with SkyQ Link (both the unit and App) after a couple of nights out on a 6/8SE:

* Unit is really nice and small
* No batteries required, direct plug in
* No need for the HC
* using iphone/ipad is intuitive
* Select *any* star on the screen to align
* modify and store HC parameter (backlash, goto directions, etc)
* The MAIN downside to the whole setup is the SkyQ app; it's usable and quite nice, but it is very unpolished. My main fear is that it's one of those s/w project that a company gets out the door to go along with a product, and as long as it works okay, there is absolutely NO incentive to improve on it at all. Some random pluses+ and minuses- follow:

+ all(?) scope parameters are accessible
+ really nice large direction keys on the 4 edges of the screen for slewing
+ pretty good audio guide, I hope they expand on it - at the very least they should merger the skyscout audio and info in the SkyQ
+ easy slew and speed change

- cannot replace alignment stars, only option is to align from start
- cluttered low-res map display; the 'smart label' which is suppose to hide certain labels until you zoom in does not work. Entire screen can be crammed with labels.
- stars to mag 7+ - that's it?
- general map display needs to be polished up
- distracting background images when selecting info on objects, ruins night vision.
- no generating user list for an observing session
- app should be ***free*** (as it is) it's almost useless as a standalone app (other than the audio info), and only serves to drive the SkyQ adapter ($99)
- please release an Android version as well!

#113 Lancem

Lancem

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hi Peter (or anyone else!) Any updates on your use of the Skyq app and the Skyq link wireless unit? I presently use SkySafari Plus connected to my CPC 1100 with the Skywire unit. I love SS for visual observing but I still use the scope hand controller for GoTo functions. I just find that this works better than using SS for GoTo - it seems more accurate with the GoTos from the HC. Also, I often lose my connection with the SkyWire for no apparent reason - the app just informs me that the connection is lost. If the wireless unit solves these issues I would purchase it. I like the idea of not needing the hand controller.

My only other concern is that I love SkySafari for creating observing lists and logging my observations at the scope. Would I be able to switch back and forth between SkySafari ( for logging and lists) and Skyq (for scope control) without losing my alignment or experiencing any other problem. I am referring to just switching between the apps on the ipad. I wouldn't need to connect the skywire for the logging and observing lists. The ipad would only be connected to the scope via the skyq wireless. If so, I think I might have the best of both worlds between the two apps.

#114 Jim Romanski

Jim Romanski

Vanguard

• Loc: Guilford, Connecticut

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Well I have not had as much luck with it as you.

I got my SkyQ Link a couple of months ago but the app was buggy and kept crashing. Celestron fixed it and the latest version doesn't crash.

I had only used it indoors to test for crashes but finally took it outside a few weeks ago to test. It did not crash on me and stayed connected the whole time. But I couldn't get it to align properly. I set it at the index marks and when I let it slew to the first alignment star it was way off. Same with the second star. After about 4 tries I finally had success letting the scope slew to Vega as the first alignment star. Not wanting to push it I had it go to Deneb. But to my surprise it turned the scope upside down and ended up bumping into the mount. So I never got a good alignment.

I did try turning the scope and the app off and on again a couple of times. Each time I did it told me that it had old alignment data and offered to use it if I wanted. Since I never got a good alignment I didn't elect to use it.

I'm using a Celestron CGEM DX mount and an iPhone 4S.

I finally got tired of messing with it and just manually found a few objects to look at before calling it a night.

I haven’t tried using it since then. I only have so much time to try and debug a gadget before I put it away for a bit. I guess I’m ready to give it another try soon.

#115 astronomy-shoppe.com

astronomy-shoppe.com

Vendor (astronomy-shoppe.com)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Plaistow, NH

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Well, we just got these in today and i am trying to set one up. I will post my findings

#116 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Works great for me, But I don't use the IOS app. I just use the PC software for a wireless connection to my mount with Nexremote. I am having an issue using the SkySync GPS module at the same time. I will post another topic about that issue. I do find, with the limited range, that a BlueTooth WiiSnap (Serial to Bluetooth from SerialIO) works just as well. I also have a SkyFi that works equally as well. I also never use the direct connect mode except for setup. I have the WiFi devices connect to my wireless network in the OB.

#117 jrs

jrs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Matthews, NC 28104

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

I just got one of these for Christmas, and I think that I got a dud.

I have it set up in "Direct Connect" mode, and am connecting to the wi-fi network that it creates (SkyQLink-0a).

When I run the skyq app on my iPad 2 (or iPhone 4s) and click the Connect to Telescope I get a "Connection Failed" screen. I verified that the switch is "up" on the dongle, and that the app is set to "direct connection" in the connection settings.

I am using version 2.0.8 of the app.

#118 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

you need to connect to the skyq wifi network via your table or pc..

#119 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

I find that the wifi module disconnects from my access point once in a while (AP is only 4ft away) which causes nexremote to lock up, then I loose my alignment... frustrating..

#120 jrs

jrs

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

you need to connect to the skyq wifi network via your table or pc..

Do you mean tablet? I tried with my iPad. Or are you saying that I need to use the nexstar software first?

#121 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Ya table.. sorry.. You go into general, then wifi then join the skyq network.

#122 jrs

jrs

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

That is the network that I am on (SkyQLink-0a, the one created by the skyQ).

I will try to call them tomorrow

#123 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

For some reason I cannot spell TABLET today!!!

You should be able to hold down the reset button on the side to reset it to factory defaults..

#124 jrs

jrs

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Well, I am not sure what happened. The telescope worked fine before I tried all of this, but now it does not. I don't know if the skyq was the culprit or not, but now my telescope doesn't even work.

Hand controller flashes "Initializing..." then goes blank. I tried all of the ports, same thing. I called support (a couple of times) and we tried to update the HC and motor control firmware. It *looked* like the hc was getting updated, but now I don't even know, since it didn't help anything. I tried the same COM port, and now I can't even update the firmware for either the HC or MC.

I now have a shipping label to send the whole mount back to celestron. I will NEVER get to use my new CCD (I know, unrelated, but still...)

#125 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Ouch!!

Usually an initializing then going blank means you have something plugged into the PC port on the mount..

Transmit data or no response on the HC usually means a reflash..

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics