Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1866 replies to this topic

#1076 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Holiday greetings! Y'all stay healthy, safe & happy. :)

Thank You

passing the same to all, as well!

#1077 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

16 down, only two left... *BLEEP* they had too many libations. Guess I'm stuck with them for the night. Just kidding, they're my folks. Why did we volunteer for this? Oh yeah, we love them!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

#1078 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

There's a new favorite in town. It's called, "Huckleberry Cheescake" and SweetAnne made it from berries we picked in September. :love:

Goodbye. I must now eat.

#1079 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

An article in the paper led to i/net search, which led me to AndroidLost.com. It hosts a free app that provides remote control of your cell phone in a variety of ways, should it become lost, stolen or simply out of sight under a couch seat cushion. Amazing! Check it out, for sure.

#1080 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Huckleberries = MMMMMMM

will it go against the forecast tonight???

Attached Files

#1081 svtdoug

svtdoug

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

Welcome Doug.

I see you're right down the road in Gig Harbor...cool.

Check us(Gold Mt Observing Center) out when you have the mind to.

Rob

Thanks for the welcome Rob. Very kind of you.

I did check out your Gold Mt website - very interesting! I've been looking for a site fairly close with darker skies and less trees (haven't we all :)) so you have my attention. How do I find out more?

Cheers,
Doug

#1082 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Well? did anyone get some sky time Saturday night before it clouded? I had enough to sort out some stuff, make some adjustments to a camera/scope platform and even catch 18 sub-exposures. I'd hoped to have been able to switch filters and make some color but it clouded...I tore down..then it rained(happily in that order). Tonights pretty hazy/foggy so it's a washout.

#1083 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I set up last night, came out after the 20 minute cool-down to find heavy fog, so no-go. Will try again tonight ;-)

#1084 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

#5535614 - 11/23/12 11:18 AM
There's a new favorite in town. It's called, "Huckleberry Cheescake" and SweetAnne made it from berries we picked in September.

Goodbye. I must now eat.

#5535626 - 11/23/12 11:22 AM
An article in the paper led to i/net search, which led me to AndroidLost.com. It hosts a free app that provides remote control of your cell phone in a variety of ways, should it become lost, stolen or simply out of sight under a couch seat cushion. Amazing! Check it out, for sure.

You really need to give the huckleberry cheesecake a little more than 3 minutes Mike. ;)

#1085 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

:shrug:

Whatsaguytodo?

#1086 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Welcome Doug.

I see you're right down the road in Gig Harbor...cool.

Check us(Gold Mt Observing Center) out when you have the mind to.

Rob

Thanks for the welcome Rob. Very kind of you.

I did check out your Gold Mt website - very interesting! I've been looking for a site fairly close with darker skies and less trees (haven't we all :)) so you have my attention. How do I find out more?

Cheers,
Doug

I'll tell you what you need to know Doug. We have been in operation since 2007. Opened to star gazers/astronomoers to enjoy dark skies(Mag 6+). Being as close as we are to the cities of Bremerton and Tacoma we do enjoy being in a bowl of sorts..tucked up against Gold Mtn. The light is blocked from Bremerton and Seattle and Tacoma is hidden by more huils and forest. I have a 25~30 degree horizon(designed that way)..anything below that is pretty yucky any way. I have my Observatory set up in the middle of my large clearing..next to my office.

Thanks for checking out my site....and if we can be of any help just let me know. We are entering the rainy season so clear days are few..but we do live in the rain shadow of the Olymics so we get more clear nights then most in the Puget Sound region.

Rob

#1087 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

Did Rob mention that he loves company, too? You haven't seen a refractor 'til you've seen his.

#1088 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

Whatever happened to Bill?

#1089 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Well, I'm sitting in my hotel room, looking east over the Gulf of Mexico, at 30* north, South Padre Island, TX. I've seen few stars here in our two nights, thanks the the nearly full moon in my face and high humidity (relative to home). One thing is immediately obvious, though, and that is the different locations of things. Orion at midnight is practically straight overhead. I wish I had a telescope for viewing the Moon or Jupiter.

Beach walks are interesting. Portugese Man of War jellyfish wash up on incoming tide, slowly pulsing their bladders. Don't touch the tentacles! Numerous fish, 4 - 16", swim and jump out of the low surf (highest waves maybe 3 ft.) right by the beach. Anne thinks they're speckled trout, which she says is an anadromous species which feeds on tiny crustaceans tossed up by the surf. The fish attract brown pelicans, which plunge straight down from 8 or 10 feet, pulling their wings back at the last moment for a hydrodynamic entry profile.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon, sitting on our balcony with binoculars, Audubon Guide to Birds of North America and my iPad with The Sibley eGuide to the Birds of North America. Among others I identified a pair of Aplomado Falcons which, IIRC, the Audubon book describes as "extremely rare."

Predicted high today, 80*. :smarty:

#1090 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I went birding on Padre many years ago to see Whooping Cranes. Calmly watched alligators but got spooked by javelinos while walking along some tall grass paths.

If you drive a car on the beaches, NEVER slow down or stop. I had to be winched back up to firm ground.

#1091 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

I need help. I can't stop shopping for binoculars. I guess it would be a worse problem if I had any money. They are so cool and a world class pair for less $ than a single mid-grade telescope eyepiece.

#1092 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Predicted high today, 80*. :smarty:

Thanks for that. :p

#1093 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

I need help. I can't stop shopping for binoculars.

Go get yourself some IS binos and be done with it. Ultimate Messier killer. Take 'em to OSP or even Goldendale and knock off the Messiers - bam! bam! bam!

#1094 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I anticipated your advice, Tom, took advantage of a sale and ordered a pair of Canon 12 X 36 IS. They were probably delivered to the office Thursday, while Anne, Mom & I were in the air. I can hardly wait to try them out, even at Goldendale!

I went birding on Padre many years ago to see Whooping Cranes. Calmly watched alligators but got spooked by javelinos while walking along some tall grass paths.

Today Mom stayed in the hotel while Anne & I went to the Birding Center. It's a complex of raised walkways -- much like at Nisqually -- built over salt marsh, tide flats and salt water, on the protected side of the island. We saw many kinds of ducks, egrets, cranes, terns, curlews, bitterns, pelicans, herons, tweety birds, Jackie's alligator, a couple of small sea turtles, and about a thousand fish (large & small). I'm really happy with some of the pictures I shot. I'll need to spend some time with bird book & photos, sorting out what I saw.

This all worked up an appetite. I asked a guy on the bus for a lunch recommendation and he sent us to Kelly's, an Irish pub. A couple of Guinesses and a Reuben put me right.

#1095 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Actually I am selling most of my standard binos because I acquired both the 10X and 12X Canon IS bins. I heartily recommend them - it's hard to understand how much they improve the views until you try them out. I can see the names of ships out in Puget Sound from my Whidbey house without the IS on but the wiggling makes reading the letters challenging. I switch on the IS and everything steadies, making the names much more apparent. Wonderful technology - like computers - as long as it works properly.

#1096 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

I had the IS 15x50's. Got rid of them. Aside from needing the money, I found them quite heavy and I didn't care for IS artifacts. Possibly a smaller pair would be better on all points.

#1097 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Stacy,

I agree on the 15X. Very large & bulky. But the 10X and newer 12X are pretty comfortable to hold.

#1098 sleepy

sleepy

9/11 Medic

• Loc: The Columbia Gorge/ OR

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Hey guys just checking in. I just officially retired from the FDNY! 16+yrs was just enough to get me under the wire after 9/11.
Finally I can enjoy the hobby here in the gorge a bit more...hope everyone is doing well. Will check back soon.

#1099 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Joe, it's good to hear from you! I've thought about you whenever news -- usually bad -- is generated at the mtn. I think it's been a tough period for your ranger family. Enjoy retirement!

#1100 sleepy

sleepy

9/11 Medic

• Loc: The Columbia Gorge/ OR

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Ohh Tx man, I'm grateful to be around and sharing astro related stuff.
I'm looking to do an "Intro to Astronomy" program at the college here so we can get some interest going since we have dark skies!
Talk to ya soon, Tx for the thoughts!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics