Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1866 replies to this topic

#1326 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

OK so I recently scouted out a possible spot not far from Enumclaw. There's a Sno-Park east of Greenwater on Hwy 410. Should be free of snow and people in the summer. Eastern and Southern vistas should be reasonable I am guessing. Anyone try out this spot?

I went a few days after Christmas and the place was thick with snow mobiles and the road was covered in ice. At least I found out it existed. A couple of my students suggested Greenwater as a possible location.

http://www.gonorthwe.../Greenwater.htm

Ajay

never spent much time down in that area. It may be worth a peek in warmer temps(when we seem to have better sky on this side :lol:)

#1327 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

There's a Sno-Park east of Greenwater on Hwy 410.

I think I know the place you're thinking of, Ajay. It would certainly have the advantage of less LP and some altitude (I'd guesstimate 1500'). The limitation would be poor horizons. The ridges above the White River are 6000' (and much higher toward The Mtn.), putting a guy in quite a hole. Not that there's nothing to look at overhead.

#1328 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Should I rub it in? Had completely clear skies until around 1am with clouds started coming in (from the PNW!) :lol: Had a fun night observing.

I'm surprised how little snow you have this year, Carol.

It's been a very mild winter here; only two blizzards. The last one dropped about 8"; but then the temps were in the high 40's, which got rid of the snow. I'm really enjoying this winter!

#1329 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

OK so I recently scouted out a possible spot not far from Enumclaw. There's a Sno-Park east of Greenwater on Hwy 410. Should be free of snow and people in the summer. Eastern and Southern vistas should be reasonable I am guessing. Anyone try out this spot?

I went a few days after Christmas and the place was thick with snow mobiles and the road was covered in ice. At least I found out it existed. A couple of my students suggested Greenwater as a possible location.

http://www.gonorthwe.../Greenwater.htm

Ajay

Still over two hours from my place Ajay :(

I could be in Eastern WA with less LP and generally better everything with the same travel time.

Stevens Pass is challenged as far as horizon goes, but is just over an hour from me and they have several parking lots that might make a nice spring/summer observing spot for us guys up north here (Robert, Sean, Myself and others)

Blue Mountain is even closer, but has great horizons. However it suffers from the Monroe light bubble, a terrible road and the random keg party. Still not too bad. If you have a 4WD.

47.958501, -121.702429

http://www.seattleas...bsbluemtn.shtml

#1330 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rainy WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

...This weekend might be clear near Yakima. Anyone interested in joining? I will probably image all night if weather cooperates.

Where do you go in Yakima?

I'm certainly interested in going somewhere at least this weekend. I don't want to miss the entire Winter season again. I do need decent southern exposure though, since i've got to view M93 in North Puppis.

#1331 rainycityastro

rainycityastro

Viking 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

If weather cooperates, it will to a campground in Yakima Canyon. It is roughly mid way between Ellensburg and Yakima.

All locations around there have excellent horizon visibility. There are a few passing cars on the road which can a mild nuisance though.

Orion is still up and spring galaxies are coming up. Nights are still nice and long!

#1332 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

• Loc: always cloudy, washington

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Everett area, I'm guessing. I can see where viewing would be curtailed having to drive that distance to get under some good skies. :(

missed it by about 7 miles. Marysville is where I live. It has started to seem more like north north Everett the last few years though.

#1333 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

:grin: I'm pretty familiar with the Seattle area, as we used to drive out to visit relatives living in the area.

#1334 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Western Washington should be where they send criminal astronomers for punishment.

Ha... good one Sean!

#1335 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

If weather cooperates, it will to a campground in Yakima Canyon. It is roughly mid way between Ellensburg and Yakima.

All locations around there have excellent horizon visibility.

Yakima Canyon is beautiful but I think the western horizon is obstructed. I guess it depends on which way the river is bending at your particular location.

#1336 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Well my primary goal is to view one object that's due south and only about 17 degrees above horizon at max. That's M93, my one remaining Messier object, that i wasn't able to see last winter, and i don't want to wait yet another whole year to see it. And i've only got a few weeks left to see it this winter. Arrggh!

#1337 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Ram, I'd be interested in knowing exactly which of several campgrounds on Canyon Road you use. I hadn't really thought of that area as a reasonably convenient, dark winter/early spring viewing location but it makes good sense. The road is generally 20' or more higher than the campgrounds, so I'd think headlights of cars wouldn't be much of a problem. If you care to post a couple of pictures I'd look at them with much interest!

#1338 rainycityastro

rainycityastro

Viking 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hi Mike,
There are a couple of campgrounds along the Yakima river that I dont recall the names of. I think one of them is Lumuma campground or something like that.

The area is pretty dark though oncoming headlights can be a bit annoying. There is also a goods train that goes through there at night. It is really loud and bright! But the train is just a brief interlude. I'll certainly take a few pictures and send out next time I'm there.

Most of my winter photographs from last year were taken there.

Here is one of my favorites:

Posted Image

http://www.flickr.co...157627136712042

#1339 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

...There are a couple of campgrounds along the Yakima river that I dont recall the names of. I think one of them is Lumuma campground or something like that.

The area is pretty dark though oncoming headlights can be a bit annoying. There is also a goods train that goes through there at night. It is really loud and bright! But the train is just a brief interlude. I'll certainly take a few pictures and send out next time I'm there.

According to Google Maps, we have Umtanum Creek Recreational Area at 46.855518,-120.483316. Was that the one?

Looks like a fair bit of hill action around it, but probably still some good sky exposure. According to Google Maps terrain view, the nearby hills go up about 600' or so, and are about 2000' away on average. So that probably gets us down to 15 degrees or so above horizon?

#1340 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm SORRY! :flower: I just committed to buy a 14" ultralight dob so the bad weather can be blamed on me! :shrug: :tonofbricks:

#1341 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Ram, lovely Markarian image! For some reason my eye was caught by several of the star chains. Really nice.

Jackie, wouldja just cut it out, pulleaze! :sumo:

#1342 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

I'm SORRY! :flower: I just committed to buy a 14" ultralight dob so the bad weather can be blamed on me! :shrug: :tonofbricks:

OH! YOU ARE in so much trouble !@#$% ... my first mobile (Imaging)outing in months planned for this weekend and you threw us all under the bus :lol:

#1343 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I'm headed to San Diego for a few days Sat, so I'm not concerned about the weather here (supposed to be another high with low clouds), but no chance to get out of town. I want to know about your new scope coming. What is it?

Brad

#1344 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

• Loc: always cloudy, washington

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Congrats Jackie.

#1345 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'm headed to San Diego for a few days Sat, so I'm not concerned about the weather here (supposed to be another high with low clouds), but no chance to get out of town. I want to know about your new scope coming. What is it?

Brad

I just committed to a Hubble Ultralight I got on AM. It is only 48 lbs and it collapses into small size for storage. The owner says you can carry it like a (50 lbs) suitcase. It comes with a "sandwiche" mirror which - according to vendor propaganda - cools so much faster than a standard mirror that no fan is required. It is open truss so I will use a shroud if needed. Basically, the very experienced owner says it puts up terrific views and is very portable. Sold me. I never imagined I could get such a large dob as such a reasonable weight. And it was pretty cheap!

The only hangup is paying for it. A few months ago, somebody got my family credit card number and charged a few items on it. We cancelled. Then last week, same thing on my personal credit card. Cancelled. Now I am waiting for the new credit card so I can add it to my PayPal account and complete the purchase. Luckily, the seller is understanding.

If things works as well as I hope, it will probably make my Uti surplus. But we shall see.

#1346 rainycityastro

rainycityastro

Viking 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

According to Google Maps, we have Umtanum Creek Recreational Area at 46.855518,-120.483316. Was that the one?

Looks like a fair bit of hill action around it, but probably still some good sky exposure. According to Google Maps terrain view, the nearby hills go up about 600' or so, and are about 2000' away on average. So that probably gets us down to 15 degrees or so above horizon?

I believe this is the one. If I recall correctly, the south was basically unobstructed. There is the canyon to the west but pretty good exposure still.

The weather for tomorrow is looking good so far. Clear Dark Sky is predicting decent transparency though not great. I think it is worth making the pilgrimage. :)

#1347 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

The new 14" sounds very interesting!

Jackie, I still think you could earn a few bucks and do a wonderful service by making your UTI available for rental. For instance, I'm hoping to go to the Southern Skies SP (Bolivia) the year after next, and I'd really like to take SweetAnne to the Winter Star Party but it's too far to drive.

#1348 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Mike,

Not speaking of you of course, but a) rental equipment really gets banged up quickly & soon shows all the hands it has been through, and b) I really could use the sale money if I don't need a scope. As long as I own it, I would certainly consider free loans to people I know on this forum. But remember, this is the longer focal length version that doesn't meet airline size restrictions like the shorter focal length Uti. It is lightweight but longer & without breakdown case. You would need the shorter focal length for Bolivia probably. What I like about the longer focal length is that paracorr becomes optional.

#1349 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I believe this is the one. If I recall correctly, the south was basically unobstructed. There is the canyon to the west but pretty good exposure still.
The weather for tomorrow is looking good so far. Clear Dark Sky is predicting decent transparency though not great. I think it is worth making the pilgrimage. :)

I think i'll risk a pilgrimage there too, Friday night. I think i've been there a couple times in the past, during the daytime.
At the moment, it certainly looks like better skies than locally. Looks like a 2-3 hour drive from Bothell, i guess.

#1350 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

No promises but it's looking > 50/50 that I'll wander over too. The fly in the ointment is that the truck is currently having some important work done that won't be finished until tomorrow afternoon, which means my headlights & I arrive well after dark. Sorry, if that's the way it sorts out.

I checked out the place on Google Earth. I like that it's toward the north end of the canyon -- well north of the bright Yakima valley -- and appears to have a pretty good southern exposure.

Forecasts for Yakima and Ellensburg predict no fog.

What you say, Jackie, makes perfect sense.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics