Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1866 replies to this topic

#1626 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

If you guys find somewhere you know of that is going to be clear, please post it.
as long at it is in Washington.

...as long as you go high enough. :question:

I think we can build one ourselves and maybe get SteveG to fly it for us? S.O.F.I.A.

#1627 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

There is no place in Washington forecasted for anything but rain or snow(depending on elevation). Table mountain is showing snow for the forecast. Moscow Idaho, Vantage Wa, Winthrop Wa, Western Wa... all shows rain or a chance of. X-p

:shocked:Not even Winthrop? lol

(chuckle) Nope, not even Winthrop :bawling:

...as long as you go high enough.

I think we can build one ourselves and maybe get SteveG to fly it for us? S.O.F.I.A.

Man that would have to be some autoguider system... and about that Polar Alignment? :grin:

#1628 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

• Loc: always cloudy, washington

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

2.7meter scope at highest possible altitude. Awesome. You had me at 2.7meter f1.6 primary. I read about that in s&t (i believe) a while back. They were discussing government funded astronomy projects. Maybe we could build one out of a Lear jet to save some millions. I am a little short after buying that last eyepiece.

#1629 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Looks like it'll be wet for a while.
Time to build something. :smash:

#1630 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Indeed....I've been building large sailing ship models as of late....most gratifying.

#1631 DarkSkys

DarkSkys

Viking 1

• Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern WA.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Indeed....I've been building large sailing ship models as of late....most gratifying.

I've been teaching myself Electronics. Last project was a Solar/Wind charge controller, now I'm building a PWM DC motor controller. It's alot of fun.

#1632 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

Rob, I haven't seen a post from you in a while. Glad you made it back. Do you have any pictures of the ships? Sounds pretty cool.

#1633 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Well, I haven't been building anything lately, but SweetAnne & I started our ukelele lessons Wednesday. And of course my miserable excuse for not building anything is sore fingertips. :grin:

I just got off the phone with Eric Webster (Webster telescopes.) I've been trying to correct a problem with the 'scope in which the ArgoNav doesn't recognize a signal from the altitude encoder. He has assembled a new cable with connectors at both ends for me to swap into the scope. I hope it gets here before Camp Delaney. :praying: And as previously, he won't take any bucks for his time and expense. He knows how to keep his customers happy, or at least this one.

Rob: Pix would be nice! I hope this finds you well.

#1634 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

I spend little time on these pages these days.....due to other interests and issues.

Thanks for the fine comments.

Here are images of a ship I'm working on.....1/96 scale Cutty Sark built in diorama form..getting her jury rigged rudder replaced. Images are found at my facebook page.

Rob

#1635 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Mike,

Which Webster do you have? I have been trying to snag a D14 for a while now, but I am just about to give up & have Dennis Steele of Dobstuff build me a Highe-type Dob. Obviously the customer service is great; how is the telescope? Does it have a Zambuto? I have probably seen your Dob but I only became aware of Webster very recently so I wouldn't have thought much about it at the time.

#1636 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Used websters are very rare. You might have a better chance if you opened up your search to different sizes or builders. The D model Websters have Zambuto mirrors. The C models have other (Lockwood?) mirrors. They are both excellent.
The D 18 is my dream scope. It weighs just a bit more than my 12" and has a nice Zambuto 18" primary. I just need to gather enough disposable income so that my wife says "that is a great idea". I don't see that happening...

#1637 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Sean, I am finding out that Websters are probably both rare & their owners want to hang on to them. My second choice is to get a 14" or 14.5" quartz mirror and have the Dob built around it. I would go with someone like Lockwood or Swayze or Fullum. I want to stay in the 14" range and keep the weight 50-60 pounds.

#1638 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Jackie, it's a 14.5" f/4.5, w/ Zambuto. I'm not sure about the following but I think that: I ordered it as a C-series but before the optics were ready Webster developed their D-series, and they incorporated all the D-stuff into my scope. At any rate, it includes a couple of somewhat unique features, per my wishes. I'm interested in nebulae, so it has a heated Moonlite filter slide; the slide couldn't be properly matched to the standard Feathertouch focuser so it also has a Moonlite focuser. It also is equipped with Stellarcat/ArgoNav; I decided that with my limited viewing opportunities I'd like spend more time looking *at* than looking *for* things, much as I enjoy starhopping.

I haven't been routinely browsing A/Mart or CN S & S for 2 or 3 years now, but when I used to do so I never saw a single used Webster for sale.

Sean, you could probably do well with an 18" but after much thought I decided that 14" - 15" was the most I wanted to deal with, single-handed. For me, it is about the optimum mix of aperture and size.

#1639 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

.....I'm interested in nebulae, so it has a heated Moonlite filter slide; the slide couldn't be properly matched to the standard Feathertouch focuser so it also has a Moonlite focuser.

I LOVE that feature!

#1640 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Yeah, me too!

#1641 svtdoug

svtdoug

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

Heading for Camp Delany on Wednesday, a day ahead of time. Will stay one night at the Sun River RV park or the State Park. Hope I can find a dark spot for the trailer. Wednesday night is looking the best forecast wise...

Hope to see some of you over there.

Doug

#1642 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm planning to head that direction Thursday. Although I'd prefer an unambiguous, solid forecast for "clear," I'll take the prediction for showers on the west side as an optimistic statement about the east side.

I'll be staying in a bunk house. This'll be my first trip to Camp D and I've been trying to make it out there for several years now, so I'm really looking forward to it.

#1643 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

The term "dream scope" most likely means "Sean will never own one". In reality, I couldn't pull off a d14 without a major battle at home and I am not into battling with my better half. I could pull off a mirror refigure and a scope build though.

#1644 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

I am in your situation Sean. As much as I want a Webster, it is not happening unless it is used. It is not worth getting my purse strings keeper irate. I can go only about half way to the cost of a new one I think. They are worth it I am sure, but just beyond what my wife considers acceptable for a "hobby" need.

#1645 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'm heading to Vegas tomorrow for a family trip (staying with relatives). I have my 8" dob there so I'll head out into the desert at least one night for some warm weather viewing.

You guys have fun at Delany. Maybe next year I can get to that one.

#1646 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

I hope the weather and other factors treat you well, Steve.

As much as I want a Webster, it is not happening unless it is used.

Used equipment is really *the* way to go. If for some reason you don't want to keep what you acquire you can sell it for about the same price, and if you limit your search area to near by you can do a careful, hands-on examination. I'm a believer. My Webster (bought new) was a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for me.

My replacement data connector for my altitude encoder arrived in the mail today, just in the nick of time before tomorrow's departure. Phew!

#1647 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Good luck on the weather Steve and hope you get some clear nights Mike! have fun. :)

#1648 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

That is great Mike. I hope that fixes the issue.

My company just started offering a stock option program so maybe in 3 years I could have dream scope money. I'll be able to purchase shares at last weeks price 3 years from now. If it goes up between now and then, it could be a significant (for me) amount. Pretty exciting.

#1649 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Wow, Who in Eastern Washington made a Huge Astro Purchase?

Attached Files

#1650 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Wow, Who in Eastern Washington made a Huge Astro Purchase?

:lol:Doesn't have to be a "big" purchase around here to screw up the weather.
Just thinking about buying something will bring in the clouds!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics