Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1866 replies to this topic

#1751 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

So, what the heck is going on? I looked outside and there was this blue colored background to the tops of the trees, a glowing ball of fire in the western sky. There seems to be less of those white puffy things...

EDIT: Oh was I dreaming? Must have been cause the sky's not looking so blue and the puffy white things seem to be rolling in again :confused:

#1752 sleepy

sleepy

9/11 Medic

• Loc: The Columbia Gorge/ OR

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hi, Joe, it's nice to hear from you!

Lost Lake looks reachable from Tacoma. What's the camping situation there? How are the horizons?

Camping is first come first served. I'll be put up for the night out there, and I'm sure I'll have room for a couple more tents. :)
Its all tree lined, but there is a great Southern sky view.
Here's a link to some photos.
http://www.flickrive...st Lake Resort/

#1753 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

If anyone knows where Lost Lake in Oregon is; I created a sky chart for its location:
http://cleardarksky....tLkORkey.html?1

I hope to throw a few star parties there this season, and will let you guys know via the outreach thread :)

Looks like a really beautiful place. Is there a clearing large enough for astro?

#1754 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hmmmm, Joe, I click on your photo link and the "Lost River" page reads, "No photos here."

#1755 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

This weather sucks. Might have to start looking at bugs and birds with my binos so they get some use. :(

#1756 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

:)I thought of setting up my Quantix tonight and go for some extended exposures to see if "it" can see stars through the clouds. It's sensitive enough, just might do it :grin:...Oh wait a minute, the moon will wash it out :bawling:

bugs and birds I guess :smirk:

#1757 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Maybe I'll go get my fishing license... gorge lake is calling to me...

#1758 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

I really miss this sky! Three weeks ago, I saw it for the first time this season...Come On Goldendale!

Attached Files

#1759 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

• Loc: Seattle, Washington

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Looking for some advice on pier building/plate fabrication in Seattle area. Here goes:

Hi,
the last of our major home remodel projects is a deck off side/front yard. Feels foolish to not pour a concrete telescope pier as part of the project. Wife doesn't want anything permanently blocking the center of the deck so I am planing to bring the pier up to the joists just below the decking, keeping complete isolation from the deck. Then I'll build an above deck pier to mate with the concrete pier thru a removable hatch. The upper pier is going to be removable with the aim of a quick 5 minute setup by placing it and ratcheting it down. I am going to try first with wood 6x6, maybe 4x4. My load is a 115mm refractor & DM-4 mount - maybe 15lbs fully outfitted for visual use only. Will switch to steel if this proves inadequate. Height will be somewhere around 46" inches (below deck concrete pier will be 8" diameter with 32" above grade and probably 24" or more below grade.

So I need to have metal plates made and drill/tapped appropriately, one for the top of the concrete, one for the bottom of the upper pier, and a pair for the top of upper pier to attach the mount head and allow for leveling.

I am thinking the lower two will be 8" or 10" square and need a thru bolt holes. Not sure on the upper two, smaller probably, maybe 7" or 6" as they need to not interfere with the OTA movement Again thru bolt holes and a center 3/8-16 post on the top plate to screw the DM-4 down on to.

Can anyone recommend a machine shop or individual that make these plates?
Thinking ahead if the wood doesn't work for the column, how about a somewhere to get a steel or aluminum column and welding/attaching of the plates top/bottom?

Also, if you have any advice to throw in - thanks,
Myles
:refractor: :tonofbricks:

#1760 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Myles,

This person advertises regularly on AMart. He is a Seattle machinist who likes astro projects. I have never used him personally but he advertises reasonable rates and a willingness to do any custom work you want, big or small.

http://www.savellepr...n.net/index.php

#1761 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

4 x 4's not really a good choice. They tend to twist and curl. For the top of the cement pier, just embed J-bolts in the cement. Then the base plate of your removable pier section can be attached with the nuts on the J-bolts. Then you're just planting the pier over the J-bolts and running the nuts down, not trying to line up the holes and fighting a cross thread in the steel plate. If over time the j-bolt gets dinged up, you can run a thread chaser over the threads and clean it up.

Just my two cents

#1762 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

4 x 4's not really a good choice. They tend to twist and curl.

Yup. Use metal or concrete. One of the reasons to set up a pier is so that you don't have to polar align every night and, if you have goto, star alignment/sync data can be saved. If you use wood and it warps, your polar alignment is likely to go off and you will need to keep tweaking it. Of course, I am thinking of the theoretical possibility, but given the 9 months of moisture west of the mountains that's a chance I personally would not take.

You can probably pick up material for a 6 inch tube for a reasonable price at onlinemetals.com. They have a pick up location in Seattle so you can go in and poke your head. They may have cheap sale prices on pre-cut lengths on some shelves at this location that are not advertised online.

Strength of hollow tube piers goes up more rapidly with diameter than with wall thickness. You might also ask round in the "domes forum". People who have experience with domes and piers hang out over there.

Ajay

#1763 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

Sean, your assessment of my last post of the western Veil Nebula was spot on. Here's a redo. Brighter filamentary nebula, less fuzz, more but smaller stars:

Posted Image
Large version on flickr.

Ajay

#1764 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

Can anyone recommend a machine shop or individual that make these plates?

Larry down at Monster Metals in Auburn is a good guy and does reasonably priced work.

http://www.monsterme...rg/contact.html

#1765 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks Tom. That's a handy link.

Ajay

#1766 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

So, on the forecast of mostly clear...I drove to Eastern Washington. I thought, I should go see how it looks up on Table Mountain. I'd heard that the road was open. Well, it's sort of open, but there is a gate(closed gate)right at the top about 3/4 of a mile before the end of pavement. I was going to hang there and try some shots of M106 but clouds started to move through.

I decided to head to my old reliable spot down at Vantage. By the time I reached Ryegrass Summit it started to look like imaging just wasn't meant to be(although I hadn't given up yet)

This wasn't even supposed to happen last night. Spaceweather said sunday or maybe monday... So I pulled to the side of I-90 about halfway down the grade to Vantage and shot this(hand held-it shows :p) out the drivers side window.

Attached Files

#1767 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Friday and Saturday here at GOMOC were outstanding.....clear seeing and light breezes.

I rebuilt my closing motor in the OB..so the roof moves on much faster. I love my OB.

Rob

#1768 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hello Rob

Been a while since I've seen any posts from you. As you can see ^ Friday wasn't a good night for me (for imaging the sky) Tonight is looking promising enough that I got my mount assembled in the front yard.

Attached Files

#1769 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Robert,
I was out in EWA also last night and setup at the Umtanum recreation area in the Yakima Canyon. I got some usable data on M106 even tho around 2am the wind really picked up and ruined most of my subsequent subs.
Where is your spot in Vantage? I haven't found a good spot down there yet.

I wonder if you can get to table mountain from the Blewett pass side. I've done it a few times with my Jeep, very rough road tho.

Andy

#1770 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hello Rob

Been a while since I've seen any posts from you. As you can see ^ Friday wasn't a good night for me (for imaging the sky) Tonight is looking promising enough that I got my mount assembled in the front yard.

Yeah.....I've been building a lot of ship models lately.....so I've been on another track.
Clear as a bell here tonight.......partly cloudy today..but currently..it's awesome for viewing.

Rob

#1771 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

I just get off at the Vantage exit and drive south a ways. Just before the road turns to the right near the state park there are a couple nice spots along the east side of that road. I've been going there for years. Although a car or truck drives by once in a while, I've never lost a sub to them. The west is more obscured that north east or south. And it does get windy at times.

I was driving my CRX so wasn't really very adventurous(allthough I'm not above driving it to Slate Peak :lol:).

North was a bit of a problem on Friday night :thinking:

Attached Files

#1772 sleepy

sleepy

9/11 Medic

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

Nice!

#1773 sleepy

sleepy

9/11 Medic

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

k.... is everyone still in Goldendale?

#1774 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

k.... is everyone still in Goldendale?

:lol: Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm home...

#1775 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

There is a great deal on a Takahashi FS-60C Fluorite doublet APO in the Seattle area Craigslist along with a couple of Nagler Eps. Not an imaging scope as its f/8, so I'll pass, but it will make a great grab and go for some of you visually oriented folks.

Ajay

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics