Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7

• Please log in to reply
1278 replies to this topic

#776 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

• Loc: Brooker, FL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Looks like we might have to keep a close eye on dem Texans (Notes from Santana's journal):grin:.

#777 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Scott, didn't we know about this a long time ago?

#778 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

I recently started started to do a review of my new ES24mm ep, and the topic of what 2 inch eps I used, I thought back to the last chance star party where I used my first 2 inch eps, and decided to go back to the thread, and relive it.naturally that far back, is in the archives now, but still available.
Reliving that time was awesome.....but a little disturbing.
I was mortified to look back at what I looked like then, lol.
And Scott I still have the 30 mm GSO, and also the the 2 inch diagonal Mike sent my way along with the 42 mm GSO.
Those two were the foundation for my love of wide field eps.

Attached Files

#779 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: South Side of the Sky

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Scott, didn't we know about this a long time ago?

That's why I'm built like Lou Ferrigno, don't cha know. :roflmao:

#780 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: South Side of the Sky

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

I remember that 30. Those 2" GSOs are really pretty great for the price.

Di has some pricier EPs in her case which work better with Stella's short F but the last few years I've pretty much just used my Measde Series 5000 Plossl kit. I got the whole thing with the case for like $300. They work great with the longer Fs of Leviathon and the 12" LX.

5000 kit

#781 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Awwww....my mail lady brought me a care package from Rianstein and his lovely wife, Betsy. Oh my gosh, this is so sweet! Dove milk chocolate, raspberry dark chocolate M&M's (to die for!), and Twizzlers (strawberry, of course!). Rick and Betsy, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. :grouphug:

Attached Files

#782 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Gee, how did they know the way to your heart? :lol:

How very nice, from nice people to a nice lady! :bow:

#783 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

• Loc: Upper Mid West

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

We just made a wild guess on what might make you smile. Sounds like we came close. :grin:

Enjoy!

#784 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Wow, what a score! That was really nice of them :)

#785 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

It sure was AZ!

Rick, you and Betsy were right on the mark! I hid the candy in my bedroom, right next to the bed so no one will sneak in and get it. ;)

#786 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

• Loc: Upper Mid West

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Aye, you're a shrewd one you are. :D

#787 edosaurusrex

edosaurusrex

Messenger

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

I went out last night on a dry run (practice with no expectations) to start my "Photograph the Sky" project. I want to take 10deg x 15deg pictures centered at cleverly picked RA's and Dec's and limit the magnitude to 8.5 "Sky Atlas 2000.0". I'll file the pics a la RA and Dec but also stitch, using the available digital image processing softwares, the more conspicuous constellations. So there'll be a reason to get out and observe/photograph and stuff for rainy days as well.
First lesson learned: Get there BEFORE sundown
Second lesson learned: Don't forget the film!
Third lesson learned: Make sure the power port in the car doesn't require the ignition to be on to avoid the stupid "dinging key in the ignition warning"

All in all it went pretty well considering I did most of the alignment in the dark instead of between Civil and Nautical twilights.

I then went on with my other project of learning the Herschel 400 I by heart. The Cetus, Fornax, and Aquarius stuff is getting pretty easy now so I'm venturing to new constellations. I had a brain toot on NGC772.

Fourth lesson learned: Don't be so proud that you don't bring a star atlas.

It was clear until the Moon came up, the air was windy and wiggly and it didn't get below 66F. Location was N32.9258 W99.2332.

I had the place to myself so I was able to play some background music. Free's "Fire and Water" album and "Magician's Birthday" by Uriah Heep were just a few of the selections. I don't play music if there are others around but if I'm alone I noticed the "noise" keeps the coyotes away.

#788 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

I had the place to myself so I was able to play some background music. Free's "Fire and Water" album and "Magician's Birthday" by Uriah Heep were just a few of the selections.

Excellent selection, sir! :bow:

#789 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

Well Elekta got her first light , with me at the ep at least. there's a street light , stadium style outside my door , so only parts of the sky could be looked at.
The Andromeda galaxy was chosen as it was in the spot where the light couldn't get into the upper cage.
The atmosphere was lousy, wind blowing, but Elekta stood her ground and delivered.Later I looked at the Orion nebula, then back over to the double cluster, yeah Elekta destroyed the double cluster, lol.

This was one of those some good news ,some bad news nights.
I had originally planned to take her to a local remote control airplane club fields, and the weather forecast was good.But it clouded up badly, and I would have bet it was gonna rain so the scope stayed in the house.
Around 9 or so I was stepping out side to cool down from doing house work, and hey it was clear as a bell,grrrrrrrr, naturally.
Jupiter was rising, and would have been my main target, but you couldn't see it in the telescope for the light.
it was 78 degrees in the house, 50 degrees outside, so the mirror was warm, now when Jason sold elekta to me , he threw in a small brick battery, it was charged , he hooked it up and showed me how the three fans work,last night it was dead as a door nail.As noted above the atmosphere was so so, so a combination of bad atmosphere, and a hot mirror gave me bloated images. I'm so glad I'm older and wise enough to realize that, 30 years ago, the scope would have been junk, hehehehehehehehehehe.
I will need to find a small trickle charger for this battery ,apparently it discharges while setting.
I spent a few days playing with the truss tube locations, and finally set on what I believed was the best configuration, I was very happy to see , that after tearing down , carrying, and rebuild, the collimation was spot on.
It took me 12 minutes to set her up, and this was my first time, alone and in the dark, a good three or four minutes of that was fumbling with the shrouds Velcro attachment.
under eight to tear down.
The focuser will take some getting used to, its a helical focuser, with slide option, loosen the screw and the whole tube slides out, tighten it and use the helical function to fine tune.Several times I forgot to tighten the screw that holds the ep, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't tweek in, and once forgot to tighten the slide lock, and as I pulled the ep, freaked out when the whole thing slid out at me.
The new 24mm ep, was good, but in the conditions last night ,I found the knight Owl 30mm a better match for the conditions.
This thing moves so easy I was moving the whole scope with out hardly any effort, I almost forgot there was this mammoth scope below me.
The scope optically performed flawlessly, the problems above were all mostly mine, minus the atmosphere.The Andromeda galaxy was to die for, and about two thirds of a field of view to the left was a very dim whisp, not sure if it was one of the three you should see , or if it was another galaxy I've never seen before, haven't checked.
Overall, very promising, Ill need to get better at my game,lol.

NOTE TO SELF: remove mirror box cover ,before you put on the shroud.
anyways there it is, three objects, that's poor I know, a series of mistakes by myself, a so so atmosphere.But enjoyable.

to do list:
find a step stool with wide treads
find a trickle charger for the battery
Motivate earlier so the poor scope can get away from the stadium light
Find a observing chair.

#790 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Ed and Andy, Great reports! Sounds like a typical observing session with little mistakes along the way. Important thing is that you guys got out to look.

#791 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

wow, just checked the price on observing chairs :bigshock: :shrug: , guess Ill just put up with the aching back , lol :smirk:

#792 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Without an observing chair, your back will ache much worse, Andy!

There are plans where you can build your own, very inexpensively; just google for the plans. I have a home-made one, made for me by a wonderful member & his son.

#793 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

wonder how much they would want for one???

#794 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Andy, this was a gift among friends. Their lives are very busy now, and haven't even been on CN for sometime now, because of this.

There are many DIY plans for different observing chairs, ranging from the simpliest, to the more elaborate. I'm sure you can find something that would be easy to build & would work well with your new scope. Can't think of the name now; but there's even a "bench" that can be uprighted for higher seating; that's very easy to build. Maybe someone here knows the name of it.

#795 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Attached Files

#796 AstroRick

AstroRick

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Mmmmm!

Clear skies and big drumsticks!!

Rick Burke

#797 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! :D

#798 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hey stupid question here, yeah from me, go figure, anywhooo, does nay one remember the beots coffee cups? specifically the one with the moon in the photo to the left?
Id like to know if the web site is still selling them, or may be able too, a link would be appreciated.
I took mine to my daughters, and she stole it, ok I let her keep it,any ways it got broken in the dish washer, and Id like to buy her another one send it to her for christmas.

Just a link is all Im asking, lol.

#799 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Well, Casey, Nelson, and I spent Thanksgiving at Nick and Donna Cagle and Nick's mother Violet (with #2 son Tim, Michelle and their younger Munchkin Lily, whom Scott and Diane would have met had they come to NEAF 2012) and Michelle's parents Doug and Enola Gay (I'm not making that up!). Tim smoked a 25 lb. turkey for about 18 hrs., and we had a great dinner. Tonight, Tim did creative things with leftovers, and we fed well again. #1 son Darryl, an OTR trucker with Stevens, was able to stop by, so we had a great time!

#800 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

Hey stupid question here, yeah from me, go figure, anywhooo, does nay one remember the beots coffee cups? specifically the one with the moon in the photo to the left?
Id like to know if the web site is still selling them, or may be able too, a link would be appreciated.

I just checked, and BEOTS products from the last year we used Cafepress are still available. Includes a couple of coffee mugs, but probably not the one you show there.

http://www.cafepress.com/beots

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics