Optic Wave Laboratories

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 RixWorx

RixWorx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

I have been trying to get in contact with Optic Wave Laboratories to send a mirror in for recoating and first received no call back from my message now when called it rolls to a generic cell phone message box.

Are they still in business? I don't want to send a mirror until I know they are still there.

Thanks!
Rick

#2 jg3

jg3

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: near Auburn, CA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'm local to OWL, and gone there in person a few times now. Once, there was nobody in the front to help me. Everybody was in back, busy working with the noisy machinery.

Somebody said if you want something to get done, talk to someone who is busy. They haven't always answered my phone or e-mail messages right away either.

#3 polaraligned

polaraligned

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

I highly recommend Nova Optics for coatings. Steve is great to deal with and he is also a professional optician. I always get a timely response and courteous service.

#4 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Did you leave a message?

I had 3 8" mirrors recoated by OWL recently and he did them and sent them back quickly. He just posted an update to his half-off sale ad, too. So the price is right as well.

-Tim.

#5 Bill Kocken

Bill Kocken

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Coon Rapids, MN

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

I sent in a 16" mirror for refiguring and recoating in Mid December. I had it back in about 5 weeks. He replied promptly to all of my e-mails ( except once ) and answered the phone promptly on the one occasion when I called.

No problems for me at all.

#6 RixWorx

RixWorx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the responses, I left a message and sent an email. I have heard nothing back.

Very Frustrating!

#7 Paul Drufva

Paul Drufva

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I too have e-mailed a few times, but got no response. Cary did answer the phone both times I called, a few months ago.

#8 Noisykids

Noisykids

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

i emailed him recently and got a prompt reply.

#9 FlorinAndrei

FlorinAndrei

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

I emailed Cary a few weeks ago and got a prompt reply.

Maybe he's on vacation now?

#10 RixWorx

RixWorx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

could someone PM me the email address you used? Maybe it's better than the generic one on the website.

#11 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

That's the only one that I know of. Good luck with that.

#12 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Keep trying. During exceptionally busy times the proprietor of a small business may be difficult to reach. Rest assured that they want your business and you will be well treated when you establish first contact with them. I would not expect an invite to dinner, although anything is possible in the amazing age of the computer.

#13 polaraligned

polaraligned

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Rest assured that they want your business and you will be well treated when you establish first contact with them.

Funny. I own a small business and If I treated customers like that they would promptly go elsewhere.

#14 coinboy1

coinboy1

Messenger

• Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

I just received my mirror back from OWL this a couple days ago. I had OWL test and recoat my mirror in about 3 weeks. They had great communication but I imagine they have busy periods. Cary is an excellent guy to deal with. I had great experiences with them. -Tony

#15 Redstone2

Redstone2

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: AL, US

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm boxing an 8 f5.3 and secondary at this time for Cary to strip and recoat.
He responded within hours when I inquired about his coating and testing service.

#16 Brian L

Brian L

Viking 1

• Loc: The garden paradise of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

He responded within hours when I inquired about his coating and testing service.

That's funny....I was unable to get a response from Cary over the last two weeks over a problem I had with his work. He said he was too busy with problems in his machine shop to deal with it... I'm glad you were able to get a quick response.

PM me if you are interested in a factual- although less complimentary testimonial of OWL's work

#17 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

If you've been unhappy with the work OWL did many of us would like to hear about it. TOS says stick to facts and it should be no sweat with the mods.

#18 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

I will 2nd that....have a mirror I was planning to get checked and recoated....Would very much like to hear the bad as well as the good.

#19 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

If you've been unhappy with the work OWL did many of us would like to hear about it. TOS says stick to facts and it should be no sweat with the mods.

You've got to be joking. He did start a thread in Cats & Casses
which was "moved off of this forum for now for review by the CN moderator staff"
several days ago, then started a thread in equipment asking if there were
other forums where bad experiences with vendors could be discussed openly,
which was moved to CN feedback by a moderator, then locked as being
inappropriate for the forum the moderator moved it to. Can you say Catch-22?

#20 Noisykids

Noisykids

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

this cat fighting is kind of bumming me out. i have a mirror i want to have recoated and have been in touch with OWL.
i work in a very customer service oriented job and there are some customers one just can't please. i've been known to make a boo-boo once in a while. on the other hand, i have lots of repeat customers who are pleased with what i do.
so what is the truth here? i've read the thread about the alleged missing circlip or whatever it was. this is all confusing to a newcomer here who basically wants to trust people.

#21 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

this is all confusing to a newcomer here who basically wants to trust people.

Trust, but verify.
-- Ronald Reagan

#22 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

I've used OWL for mirror coating and he does a decent job at a very reasonable price. Lately, I've been using Majestic, which is much closer to me (Va-NJ). If I was having a mirror refigured I would use Steve Swayze who I know and trust, and who uses null testing rather than foucault.

JimC

#23 John Jarosz

John Jarosz

Astro Gearhead

• Loc: Fairfax, Iowa

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

I've used Cary before he renamed the company OWL

I've also used Spectrum in Florida and feel Paul did an excellent job on my 8" Cass. Highly recommended.

John

#24 RixWorx

RixWorx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

this cat fighting is kind of bumming me out. i have a mirror i want to have recoated and have been in touch with OWL.
i work in a very customer service oriented job and there are some customers one just can't please. i've been known to make a boo-boo once in a while. on the other hand, i have lots of repeat customers who are pleased with what i do.
so what is the truth here? i've read the thread about the alleged missing circlip or whatever it was. this is all confusing to a newcomer here who basically wants to trust people.

The truth regarding this thread from the guy who asked the original question is; I have received no response from anyone at OWL from either my phone message or my email.

That's the whole story right there. I can not comment on anything else because I have been unable to go any further.

Rick

#25 Mister T.

Mister T.

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Noisykids,

In the last year or so I've had Cary deal with three mirrors. I've ALWAYS found his work to be FIRST RATE, and his communication to be excellent.

True, he sometimes has busy periods where he doesn't get back to you immediately, but he DOES get back to you.

I'm seriously thinking about making the plunge on a classic telescope that will surely need refurbishing; Cary is MY MAIN MAN on possibly refiguring, and definitely recoating, the mirror.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics