18 replies to this topic

#1 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

We finished this last week and we're very excited to get this up to NEAF at the end of the month and have it in the kids' raffle. This is an 8" F/4.5 designed in the same vein as our Solid Tube Series (STS) scopes, but is essentially the rebirth of a red tube Coulter OTA that was donated to us in hopes we could give it a better home.

We had the Coulter OTA in our shop for the last few years and never had the opportunity to do anything with it until this passed Winter when we made the time to finally dust it off and devise a plan. I had some surplus STS components in the shop from our initial run last Spring that weren't going to any use either, so with the addition of a new aluminum tube we were able to mount the original Coulter optics (primary and secondary mirrors) into a tube assembly that is more portable and will allow the primary mirror to reach ambient temperature in a reasonable amount of time versus the stock Coulter mirror cell which essentially "entombed" the mirror in the tube.

We also had both mirrors recoated by Majestic Optical Coatings before they were remounted into the new OTA. The standard aluminum coatings (91%) over coated with SiO, were donated to this build by Jeff Decker, owner of Majestic Optical.

Attached is a picture of me with the scope to give a sense of size of the scope. It's really short for me, but will be perfect for the munchkin that wins it in the raffle! :jump: More pictures are available in our DropBox Gallery for it:

http://www.dropbox.c...nscope?h=649a49

And thanks to Alan Traino for suggesting this scope for the KIDS raffle instead of the regular raffle! :grin:

Clear skies,

Attached Files

#2 Gone caving

Gone caving

Vendor (Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Underground... really

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Now that's ASTRONOMY OUTREACH!!!

Rob + Heather, Thank you for your amazing telescope! The kid's will be so excited..Just a wonderful thought by both of you. :bow:

#3 Boot

Boot

wildly diverse musical tastes

• Loc: The Outernet

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Great idea, Rob.

Ahem... Shouldn't you be wearing your best Teeter-Tee (shirt)?

;)
Joseph

#4 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Rob,

How are the optics in that scope?

#5 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Nice little scope...looks kind of like the legendary Starmaster Oak Classic.

Rob, how are the optics on this little gem? Coulter mirrors can be quite variable.

#6 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Can't wait. I home my son wins!

#7 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys! We've had this scope out a couple nights for testing and while it's no Zambuto, it's also not a dog. Images are sharp to roughly 150x and contrast is nice. This scope will certainly make a newbie in the hobby very happy, but a critical eye will be able to tell this isn't a premium optic. But worst case scenario, whoever wins the scope, if their parents so choose, can have this mirror refigured and pay far less for that service than they would for the entire scope with a premium mirror from the start. So no matter what, someone is making out well with this deal. :grin:

As for the Teeter Tee-shirts...they're coming in Friday, just in time for NEAF. Don't you worry, I'll be wearing mine there. :p

Take care,

#8 Boot

Boot

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

:waytogo:

#9 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

So what time is the raffle? According to my calculations I bought enough tickets to win 63.7% of the prizes including the RV, the Boat and of course the Teeter's Kids telescope..

Just kidding, but I'm still excited! :roflmao:

#10 Boot

Boot

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

So... you may end up w/ a 5.096" scope? ;)

#11 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

• Loc: Clarks Summit, PA

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

So what time is the raffle? According to my calculations I bought enough tickets to win 63.7% of the prizes including the RV, the Boat and of course the Teeter's Kids telescope..

Hey Adam,

Carol took the 10 inch f/4.9 scope. I lost my seat I the car ride home!
Not kidding.

#12 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

:lol: I love the movie you reference.... :grin:

#13 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

I didn't think anyone would pick up on it. I could quote that movie all day long. Now I have to see if I can rent it.

And a quote...
Jordan: [showing Mitch and Chris their fake ID badges] How do these look?
Chris Knight: [holding Mitch's ID] Terrible - mine looks like him and his looks like me.

#14 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hey Adam,

Carol took the 10 inch f/4.9 scope. I lost my seat I the car ride home!
Not kidding.

That is great! Was that in the regular raffle? I put all my eggs in the kids raffle basket.

#15 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

I didn't think anyone would pick up on it. I could quote that movie all day long. Now I have to see if I can rent it.

And a quote...
Jordan: [showing Mitch and Chris their fake ID badges] How do these look?
Chris Knight: [holding Mitch's ID] Terrible - mine looks like him and his looks like me.

Ha! I love the young Val Kilmer in that movie. I don't have quite the memory to quote at will, but I can recognize many quotes. I have the movie on my Tivo from when it was on one of the premium movie channels a couple of years ago, so I can watch when I want. :grin: I may need to again, now. :lol:

And, before I continue the hijack too much longer (bad moderator!), that scope turned out really nice, Rob, and that was a great thing you did to put in the kids' raffle! I walked by y'all's booth a few times, but you were always so busy that I didn't want to stop and disrupt anything. :)

#16 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys! The raffle went off without a hitch on Sunday at NEAF around 4:30pm. We did the raffle in our booth and I pulled the winning ticket.

The telescope went to Paul and Deborah from Suffern, NY, who put only two tickets into the raffle for their two granddaughters (in attendance on Saturday but not Sunday during the raffle). The winning ticket belonged to their 6 year old granddaughter Alyssa and the telescope will be stored at their second home under the dark skies of the Adirondacks in NY State.

Congrats to Alyssa, Deborah and Paul!

Attached Files

#17 Boot

Boot

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Hey! That looks like the famous Teeter's Tee you're wearin'. :waytogo:

#18 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

Congrats to the winners! Good thing they were locals. Nobody lost their seat home for the Teeters.

On a side note, I watched Real Genius last night. Love that movie!

#19 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

Continuing the side note (sorry, Rob :) and hey, I like that t-shirt! Cool-looking and bright too!), I didn't watch it last night but at your nudging, Adam, I just started it now (I'm at home today). Wheeeee!

I do need to spend some time at your booth next year, Rob, drooling over your scopes. It's just so hard for me to leave the CN webcam, my devoted viewers get so despondent.... :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics