• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 back2class

back2class

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern VA

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Just wondering. Was just offered on at this price with base, tripod and a few extras. Looks like new. Has some electronics though I don't think GOTO. Anyhow...pull the trigger? I've been working on building a 12" dob, but if I can play with this for now and sell it for what I have into it or a profit I will grab it.
Thanks

#2 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• Loc: Bedminster,NJ USA

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

If it is a LX-200 it should be GoTo. Even the Classic was GoTo. If it is the EMC then it is a classic.
I would think that that would be a fair price for a Classic & a good price on the newer model.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

If it's an LX200 then it has (or had) goto. If there's no goto then it's defective, has missing parts, or is an older, non goto model. In any of those cases the price is WAY high.

$1300 might be OK for a perfectly functional 10" LX200; I saw one offered by a dealer for that price recently. Of course, if there's a problem the dealer would be there to help solve it. Your seller may not be so helpful, which is why dealers generally charge more for used gear than individuals.

Don't look for a profit, though. That's the high end of the price range for this model, which went out of production ten years ago and relies on some electronic components no longer available. Meade won't (can't) service the mount. Even if it's perfect now, you'll take a bath if it ever breaks.

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

a good price on the newer model.

Sure - it'd be a great deal on a later model (GPS, R, ACF).

#5 back2class

back2class

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

a good price on the newer model.

Sure - it'd be a great deal on a later model (GPS, R, ACF).

Is there any way to tell? It looks exactly like this one on ebay but with tripod. No wedge. Electronics are all there...just assumed it was not goto, but I guess it is.

http://www.ebay.com/...1#ht_499wt_1140

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Is there any way to tell? It looks exactly like this one on ebay but with tripod. No wedge. Electronics are all there...just assumed it was not goto, but I guess it is.

The nameplate will say either LX200, LX200GPS, LX200R, or LX200ACF and that will tell you which it is. Other differences are that there will be two knobs on the rear instead of one on any of the newer models (the second knob is the focus lock). Better make sure the electronics work properly in any case.

#7 back2class

back2class

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Well, still waiting on that info...but it has only one knob. So as this is older and I don't need it, then sounds like a I should pass.

#8 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Here's a few good reasons why you should take a pass on this telescope...

Meade no longer supports this telescope and has not supported it for years (Thanks, Meade!!). If you buy it and it should require repair or parts in the near future (and it will), you will be "up the creek without a paddle". Since parts are no longer available from Meade, you will need to rely on a few people for repair of these scopes...people who will be using salvaged parts for the repair and who will be quite liberal with the numbers on the repair bill.

I've owned many LX200's since they were introduced in the early 90's and I still own a 10" today. They are wonderful telescopes but a repair bill these days is something you do not want to deal with. If you should buy one, buy it with the understanding that if the electronics should go south, you will simply defork the OTA and use it on a GEM. With this in mind, $1,300 for a 10" is just too much, in my opinion. You need to buy it at a price closer to the value of an older and used 10" OTA alone. Remember, you may get as little as a month of use out of it or maybe as much as a year or two if you're lucky. I think you should keep looking for your dream scope.

#9 Jb32828

Jb32828

Messenger

• Loc: Orlando, FL USA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Al is giving some great advice here.

I found one a couple years ago at 600.00. That was a good deal. And right on queue, the mount died about 7 weeks after I bought it. Deforked it and put it on a GEM. Later sold the OTA (which had som really good optics btw) along with some accessories that I had purchased seperately (Meade 2" diagonal, focal reducer, dovetail plate, bhatibov mask, dew heater and Bobs Knobs) for like 625.00. So I didnt take a huge hit on the purchase and got some good use out of it.

#10 back2class

back2class

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

I want to thank you all for the great advice. Skipped the expensive one and while on vacation found a Craigslist add for another 10" Meade just like it. Paid $400 with wedge, tripod, and some cheap Meade MA eyepieces. This one is a little older. early 80's I think. Not GOTO, but some small electrical controler. All look in great shape. Now I need to decide if I am going to keep this or finish building the 12" dobsonian................. I will try and post some pics when I get home.

#11 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

Meade no longer supports this telescope and has not supported it for years

Would the 8" Meade LX90 EMC have this same problem? One is for sale locally for $400.

What exactly is the problem? I've heard of Meade repairing only items that are shipped to its factory, making the cost prohibitive; has the problem become simply no parts exist, so there is no hope of repair?

#12 tejasdragon

tejasdragon

Messenger

• Loc: Garland, Texas

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

When I had my 8" LX90gps Meade was taking as long as
6 and 7 months to do warrenty work on them and that
is a long time to wait, this tells me that something
is wrong with them, to have so many being fixed that
there is such a back log. Do not know what the back
log is now for factory service work, but I doubt that there
management has changed its attitude toward a good product
these days, look at the LX800 fiasco. But for me at this
time I would stay far away from any meade mount.

And yes I am a disgrutled ex-meade owner and will
be for a long time.

Henry

#13 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

You could make an offer for less money. Or, you could ask the seller why he or she believes the telescope is worth the high end of the spectrum in price.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics