S&T now availible on the iPad

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

S&T is now available in your iPad free to print subscribers, or as a stand-alone digital subscription ($37.99). Single issues can also be purchased.
Paid digital-only and print subscribers who have signed up for digital access through our website (PCD subscriber services), will have access to the iPad edition by using the login information they set-up for their digital access and are currently using to view their desktop version.
Paid, print subscribers who have not yet signed up for digital access, would need to do so first on our site and then they will have access (via their password created) to the iPad edition as well.

#2 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Android?

Thanks

Guylain

#3 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

I am glad that S&T is available for the IPad. But, there are as many Android users as IPad. I hope S&T will become available for Androids--soonest! :rainbow:

#4 swalker

swalker

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Gene, not really Apple has 55% of the tablet market. You aren't phrasing the comparison properly. Android is an entire platform, while iPad is a specific device.

Regardless, one platform at a time.

#5 mlanglois

mlanglois

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newton, MA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

I just downloaded the app and activated the digital part of my subscription. However I'm having some problems getting the magazine to display. The issues just seem to download perpetually. I've left the iPad active to try and download an issue and it has been going on all night without success. Who might I contact for support, S&T or the developer?

Michael

#6 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Gene, not really Apple has 55% of the tablet market. You aren't phrasing the comparison properly. Android is an entire platform, while iPad is a specific device.

Regardless, one platform at a time.

Technically true--but a major astronomy magazine such as Sky and Telescope should have issued them for both IPad and Android at the same time, or close to it. The Android market is huge. Your main competition--Astronomy Magazine did just that. If you couldn't offer S&T to both platforms at the same time, you should have stated that the Android App will soon follow. Its not good marketing and public relations to alienate the large market of Android users.

#7 peleuba

peleuba

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern PA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

I just downloaded the app and activated the digital part of my subscription.

What app? I cannot find an S/T reader app anywhere... I have to view it through the browser on my IPAD. Is there app that lets you view the magazine natively? Or must you view it in the Safari browser on the IPAD?

Thanks.

#8 peleuba

peleuba

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern PA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

What app? I cannot find an S/T reader app anywhere...

Not in a habbit of replying to my own posts, I did find the app within the ITunes app store.

#9 CarterB

CarterB

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Thanks! It took me a while to figure out how to enable digital subscription from my print subscription. PCD means nothing to me. From main S&T website click renew subscription. Enter your code from your magazine and then you'll see the option.

Also in the app, it was not clear where to login. You have to click an issue and you are given the login prompt.

Finally, other than the Kindle Fire, there are no viable Android tablets right now.

#10 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

I received an email yesterday that my June digital edition was ready. I was reading it on my 3gs iPhone. I clicked the link, and voila, there it was running perfectly in my browser. But then I see that I can have it auto-imported into any of the book apps on my iPhone, so I choose iBookstore and with 1 click, voila, there it is in my iBookstore reader. Now that is a real reader. It displays beautifully and works perfectly. I can just double tap to make all of the small print easily readable. The photos are gporgeous, so are the ads. And, I have the option to view it in pdf format. Now we're cooking with grease! Now that we can be rid of that silly app you used to require to be used to read the digital edition, I feel that you really have something to be proud of.

Best of all, my hard copy edition came today, just one day later, and I live in Israel. Congratulations. You have hit a home run!!

/Ira
P.S. Oh...and the icing on the cake is that now it is stored in iBookstore's shelves in perpetuity, just like any other book. I no longer have to run around the house screaming at my wife about where she misplaced the magazine. :)

#11 swalker

swalker

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

Glad it seems they are working the kinks out. I say they because we don't produce the digital version here in the office at all, so when there are problems, it takes us just as long as everyone else to troubleshoot with the vendor.

#12 Dr. Megabyte

Dr. Megabyte

Mariner 2

• Loc: Winchester, VA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Kindle Fire Edition next? (hopeful!)

#13 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Im confused....I just signed up for a yearly subscription THROUGH the IPad......and downloaded the last couple of issues....but I can't read them because I need a subscription???. I've already paid through the iPad App....-do I seriously have to head over to S&T and pay for a second print subscription???

#14 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Surveyor 1

• Loc: STL

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Mark:

It's not an easy path to find but you can download as a pdf. I bring it onto my computer as a pdf and then move to my fire.
I think you click the download button and on the next page you have a pdf option.

Jim
Jim

#15 mlanglois

mlanglois

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newton, MA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm in the same boat as Rob. I've got my paper subscription and I was fine with getting the digital issues until the latest update. Now the app wants me to authenticate repeatedly, every time saying I don't have a subscription. Frustrating to say the least.

Michael

#16 dbowlin

dbowlin

Ranger 4

• Loc: Littleton, Colorado

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

I am having same problem as Michael. I have the first iPad, if that makes a difference?
dbowlin

#17 Cathal

Cathal

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ireland, land of mist and cloud..

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

Just upgraded my iOS on my iPhone4, and the S&T app migrated to the 'Newsstand'. Works fine here to read the most recent and the back issues as well.

Nice job, and thanks! :)

#18 helpwanted

helpwanted

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

Same problem (iPad 2), worked on Friday, Saturday I was told I don't have a subscription... But I do, and yes, I am signed up for digital.

#19 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

I seem to only be able to read the newest issue. The back issues want me to subscribe. I just don't get it. Do I need the paper subscription in order to see the back issues? That wouldn't make sense. I am using the first version of the iPad by the way.

#20 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Ok, how do you download the latest edition into Newsstand? It appears that the latest S&T app update removed the separate app and transferred everything to Newsstand.

JohnD

#21 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:07 AM

The latest on getting S&T Digital Version on an iPad:
-----------------------------------------------------

After many trials and tribulations, here are the methods to get the digital versions down to your iPad.

There are two options:

1. Using the Nxtbook Nxtstand iPad app.

Instructions for installing the app (from S&T):
-----------------------------------------------

a. Go to the App Store and download Nxtbook Nxtstand.

b. When it has loaded…..tap on the Nxtbook icon.

c. When it opens … across the bottom tap on the catalog button.

d. At the top you will find a search bar and enter the magazine title. Or click on the "S" in the alpha list along the right-hand edge of the screen and find Sky & Telescope in the magazines displayed.

e. Tap on the magazine you want. It will pop up "Read", or "Download" option. Tap on "Download".

f. It may ask to authenticate…… tap yes.

g. It may ask for permission to push……. tap yes.

h. Tap on your library button. It is located to the left of your catalog button.

i. You will see your magazine in your library…tap on it….

j. A "Read" / "Update" / "Delete" option appears. Select "Read". If you are not already logged in, it will bring up a sign in screen.

j. Sign in (if necessary) with email address and password.

k. The issue should be viewable.

NOTE: Never log out from Nxtbook/Nxtstand. Otherwise if you try to read issues offline, it will ask to authenticate and since you are offline you will be unable to get access to the issue.

2. Using Safari

a. Log into the digital issue of S&T

b. Select the issue you want to read

c. Click the .PDF icon. It should download the issue.

d. Select what app you want to use to read the issue. If you have iBooks installed, that should be one of the options.

e. The issue should be available to read at any time.

JohnD

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics