17mm Hyperion VS 17.3mm Delos

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Good stuff Darren!

I am re-vamping my eyepieces! I may pick up a 10mm XW and 17mm Hyperion. I need the 17mm to fill a gap I have been missing for a while!

The 17mm Hyperion + O-III and Ultrablock will do well for M-42 when it comes around again, and the 10mm XW will be a workhorse for a lot of things!

As long as the 17mm Hyperion has a sharp field stop, I would be willing to put up with less than perfect edges.

Let me know how it comes along!

Cheers,

#27 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

I had a chance to briefly use the 17mm Hyperion last night with the 12 inch f/4.9 with a paracorr 2 and saw very nice on axis images and the images towards the edge did degrade somewhat but not to much. I will have to compare with more detail with other eyepieces in a faster scope next week but considering the cost I'm very happy with the eyepiece.

I also noticed that the field stop is pretty sharp and with the comfortable eye relief the observing experience is quite pleasant. I look forward to more views with it soon.

#28 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

The 17mm Hyperion works very well for me in an ƒ10 SCT. Using a 2" diagonal, the Hyperions sit deep and actually shorten the ƒ-ratio a bit. With this diagonal the SCT is probably operating closer to ƒ11 with most EPs. At ƒ6, the edge performance falls off somewhat. I have no direct experience but I'd guess that the Delos would be better in faster scopes.

#29 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

I had a chance to use the 17mm last night with my f/4.4 with paracorr and was happy with the off axis performance. Stars stayed pretty sharp to the edge but I didn't do any deep sky viewing with my limited time I had. I suspect it is a good alternative to the Delos but still wanna do more comparisons soon.

#30 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

• Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

I had a chance to use the 17mm last night with my f/4.4 with paracorr and was happy with the off axis performance. Stars stayed pretty sharp to the edge but I didn't do any deep sky viewing with my limited time I had. I suspect it is a good alternative to the Delos but still wanna do more comparisons soon.

Darren,

Any update on this one since then?

George

#31 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:52 AM

If it's like the other Hyperion/Stratus eyepieces, look for the edge sharpness as well as a "bright edge." In my experience the Hyperion/Stratus's are not evenly illuminated across the field and are pretty messy off-axis in a fast scope.

Jon

#32 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

If it's like the other Hyperion/Stratus eyepieces, look for the edge sharpness as well as a "bright edge." In my experience the Hyperion/Stratus's are not evenly illuminated across the field and are pretty messy off-axis in a fast scope.

Jon

The fast scope tolerance is a notorious minefield when it comes to non-premium wide field eyepieces. However, at f/6.3, my 8mm,10mm,13mm and 21mm Hyps work beautifully without any visible edge aberrations.Premium performance at a down to earth price :grin:

I addition, unlike some comments I've heard over the years regarding their field stop, my Hyperions have a sharp field stop and an evenly illuminated field.It must be the F/6.3 which happens to be more forgiving than the f/5 and f/4 scopes IMO. :hmmmm:

#33 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Bottom line in a fast scope for both, (I have tried both):

17.3mm Delos: Needs a Paracorr, has the best transmission out of all.
17mm Hyperion: Not suitable in a fast scope and has edge of field brightening.

Alternative which I am getting soon myself: 17mm Vixen LVW: Excellent in a fast scope with only very minor edge coma and good transmission.

Cheers,

#34 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Post deleted by george tatsis

#35 ohioalfa64

ohioalfa64

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio (NW)

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Let us know how the 17mm Vixen LVW compares here Markus.

#36 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

If you get the chance, also compare it to a 17 Nagler. I owned one for years, but recently sold it because a 17 did not match up that well with a 12.5 inch, F5 Dob. The 17 Nagler often shows up on people's favorite eyepiece lists. It has 17mm of eye relief, enough for viewing with glasses. A 14 Delos fits in better for my viewing preferences on my telescope.

#37 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

Markus

Excellent choice! Make sure you keep us posted though!
However, I get the feeling that you should have posted it on the Radian 18mm thread,right?

George

I was all set on trading my 22mm LVW for a 17mm LVW or an 18mm Radian. I was convinced by a few people, (Erik Wilcox), Jason, (Chopin), and (Mike B). to keep the 22mm LVW and not trade it off !!! Jason actually said he would drive up to my house and slap me if I did...LOL! Figuratively speaking of course!!! :roflmao:

So I decided to keep the 22mm LVW as I would regret trading it off for a 17mm Vixen LVW, so I am now saving up to get the 17mm LVW instead and have both the 22mm LVW and 17mm LVW in my aresenal !!! I bet the 18mm Radian is a really nice EP tho ! I still want to try one out anyways for fun!

Let us know how the 17mm Vixen LVW compares here Markus.

Will do, when I get one, LOL!

Cheers,

#38 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:26 AM

I think it's about time we went back to the initial topic.

17mm Hyperion VS 17.3mm Delos

Not many replies here.I get the feeling that the owners of Hyp are pretty happy with what they've got, and see no reason for an upgrade. :waytogo:

Why should they after all, especially if their scopes are f/6+.Have no experience with the 17mm, but the 8mm,10mm,13mm and 21mm Hyperions worked good enough for me to make me sell the XWs last year.

No additional detail, or gain in general was visible with the more expensive, wide- field oculars used in the comparison, which included the corresponding fls of both the Delos and the Ethos.The FOV of the Ethos was impressive though. :bow:

George

#39 ohioalfa64

ohioalfa64

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio (NW)

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

I understand this is being shanghai'ed. I am interested in the 17mm wide view eyepieces out there, which are priced from average to expensive. I like TV eyepieces, but am not wedded to them or others. An acceptable Vixen LVW version causes me no embarrassment to use it. Similarly a Hyp, is equally acceptable. I just want to learn from others here on the plus/minus of the choices.

#40 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

I understand this is being shanghai'ed. I am interested in the 17mm wide view eyepieces out there, which are priced from average to expensive. I like TV eyepieces, but am not wedded to them or others. An acceptable Vixen LVW version causes me no embarrassment to use it. Similarly a Hyp, is equally acceptable. I just want to learn from others here on the plus/minus of the choices.

For the Hyperion vs Delos, I think the main differences are going to be in edge correction, edge of field brightening or field brightness, and transmission. I'm sure in the first 2, the Delos would have a nice-sized advantage and for the 3rd, would also be in the lead, but that would be more subtle.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics