• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

We have talked about putting a one day NEAF like convention in Norman. I know there are plenty of people that can't make the trip to New York and would like to see what manufacturers have to offer as well as great speakers. I am just trying to find out the actual interest in this.

I would always shoot for an October date.

We have a facility here.

The airport is literally 18 minutes away. If you have a private plane of some sort there is a small local airport two minutes away. The facility is attached to a hotel and the whole thing is 1/2 a mile off I-35.

Any interest?

#2 darkman

darkman

Man In Black

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Count me in.

#3 mish

mish

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: West of Astronomics

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

I think it would be great!

One suggestion, though -- if you're looking at an October date and there's a Saturday in the mix, just be sure that Stoops' Troops are playing on the road, or finding lodging could prove interesting.

#4 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

Either a bye week or away game. I was hoping for a bye so the locals would still be local and not glued to the tube.

#5 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

I expect you would get major turnout from the astro clubs here in Oklahoma and north Texas. You might also consider an overnight bus trip or caravan out to CRO as part of the event? I expect the OKc club would be pleased to host it.

#6 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

My interest varies with the vacation time I've burned through out the year. But I'd be keen on attending. Certainly closer than NEAF!

#7 Mike Foreman

Mike Foreman

Messenger

• Loc: Texas

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Im there :jump:

#8 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Depending on my class schedule, I might not be able to make it. But it would be a good excuse to come visit Mom and, if you schedule it for a bye week, I won't have to suffer through her making me watch the Sooners.

EDIT: Of course, these anecdotal bits don't really help. I'd guess there is enough interest in the area around you to make it worthwhile. It seems like an awful lot of folks in the region are into astronomy.

#9 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Mike..

I live in the Kansas City area and would probably come down as it is about a 300 mile drive.

Bill

#10 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

It would depend on business if I could make it, but one thing to remember is that the Advanced Imaging Conference is always held in later October or early November.

David

#11 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Maybe we can combine the two.

#12 exparrot

exparrot

Explorer 1

• Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

What a great idea! An easy drive for me, so count me in.

#13 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yeah I might be interested if it weren't in "tornado alley"! :shocked: So ya' think it would be safer in October?? :smirk: Mike

#14 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

The season should be over in the next few weeks.

#15 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Viking 1

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

I would make every effort to be there. You probably know this better than I do but if you do have the event heavy promotion in the DFW area would likely get a very positive response. Lots of astronomers (and native Okies) in the area who would jump at a mini-NEAF just a few hours drive away.
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

#16 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

I was going to just post a mem-pic ... just organize it and take my money! :D

MikeB, great suggestion on the CRO tie-in!

#17 Trever

Trever

Gemini

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

Better there than in NY. I can at least drive there in a reasonable amount of time.

#18 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

I would be interested if you could get enough vendors/manufacturers there to have a good turnout (probably a minimum of 40 booths for a startup). However, you should try to land somewhere between NEAF and PATS. As you know, vendors are tight on convention money these days have to pick and choose where they want to go, even the big guys, so being too close to the other two general astro events would hurt the vendor turn out, especially on a new show.

One other thing I would recommend is running the show more like PATS where it is mostly a convension for vendors to show off their wares than NEAF which is more like a giant store on wheels that is dominated by a few large retailers just trying to sell stuff as poeple come in the door and drain them before they even get to the true vendor booths in the back (this can also be addressed by how the booths are organized). I can go to a retail store anytime I want, I can't meet a vendor/manufacturer that often.

Overall, as a vendor I think it would be nice to have something in the middle of the country rather that on both ends.

#19 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'd go just to see the new digs!

#20 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Well Oklahoma in the summer is not something I would want to invite most people. We were over 100 for around 50 straight days last year. October is great weather and really fits the best between all the other events IMO.

#21 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Well Oklahoma in the summer is not something I would want to invite most people. We were over 100 for around 50 straight days last year. October is great weather and really fits the best between all the other events IMO.

But PATS is September 22-23 this year and a month or less between the two would probably hurt you with the vendors. An indoor convention is not that big a deal for the weather, although mid winter with snow might not be that great. I would rather brave the heat. I would think that June would be the best time. A few months after NEAF and a few months before PATS.

#22 belgrade

belgrade

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, TX

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

I agree with EFT. But count me in for sure no matter when - as long as it's on Saturday or Sunday.

#23 Tarzanrock

Tarzanrock

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Mr. Thomas makes a very valid point well worth considering -- especially for those on the West Coast.

#24 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Another good thing about June or July is that most kids are out of school so you might get more paricipation from non-local people who can bring the entire family. You can also take advantage of more people being able to plan to come during summer vacation season. We could use a lot more kids at these events. Too many of us old guys and not enough young blood. My 15 year old daughter is my convention assistant and I have to take her out of school to go to PATS and NEAF. She loves doing it but hates missing school.

#25 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

A. The chance of getting it done this year is slim to none.
B. While I appreciate the input about PATS, knowing of other events in the Summer on the west coast, it doesn't really work for me to have it in the Summer. Also, indoor or not, if it is hot the chance of getting locals out is pretty slim. Going outside for even a few minutes results in discomfort during the summer here.
C. We would try to work a tie-in with Okie Tex star party which is in October as well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics