Photo

Should I get A Celestron Cg5 Mount or Meade LX-80?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Edsan91

Edsan91

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

I want to use it for Visual, Planetary, And in the near future, Imaging! For Now I am using a total Manual mount and just using the DEC and RA knobs on the C8 fork mount and I think its time for an Upgrade. I am looking for something in the $500 to $1000 dollar range! The mount is for a Celestron C8 Classic orange tube. Also what kind of dovetail would I need for the classic orange tube? I am not too knowledgeable on the types of dovetails etc. So Inform me :)I know the meade Lx-80 is fairly new and if anyone has it, how well has it performed? I want to do High resolution planetary imaging so I want it to be super stable. Other Mounts I would consider are The meade LX-75,iOptron - SmartStar-PR GEM w/ Tripod, Orion atlas EQ g So out of all those 5 Which would you recommend? And it what order from the best performing the the least? Thanks very much for reading my Post! And I hope you respond and help me decide and choose. My eyes are on the Meade Lx-80 because it is new and it is 3 in one! German Eq, Alt az, and dual OTA. I think its the first one at that price that has done it. Oh and one more thing! I will mount a canon t2i dslr possibly, a Star Guider in the future, mostly imaging equipment but very light. And I will use A computer to track the stars etc Stellerium and "The sky Software" So It be great if those mounts worked with those programs.

#2 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Definately too soon for anyone to be able to answer that question.....No one has one as yet.....

#3 ghataa

ghataa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

Too soon to answer but there is A LOT of info on the advantages/disadvantages of the CG-5 with a C8.

George

#4 Edsan91

Edsan91

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

I see! I was actually looking around on the forums and I figured that maybe it has not been released yet. I don't know hmmm But when would it be released? Otherwise between the CG5 and all the others I mentioned besides the Lx-80 which mount would be Great?

#5 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I'm no expert here, and certainly not on imaging, but I have owned a couple CG-5's including my current ASGT. And have owned Meade gear, both pre- and post-Mexico move.

My 2cents-
The CG-5 is a mature platform that's established, well known, and has plenty of support (and spare parts). The new Meade mounts??? The design sure does look nice and I especially like the GEM to alt/az versatility but with Meade gear right now, and especially something just now hitting the market and barely out of Beta (sts)...

edit - I also much prefer the Nexstar software to Autostar.

#6 Edsan91

Edsan91

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Thank you very much for your input! I need as much information as possible to learn and decide on what to choose. It sounds like the CG-5 is a great place to start, I haven't owned A computerized Eq mount yet but it sounds like the Cg-5 is good. Have you ever had any issues with the CG5? I have heard several people that have owned a cg5 that later on it has given them issues with the gears etc. And I agree with you about the versatility! It just has so many useful points on the Meade Lx-80 but I haven't seen how it performs. And really?? Comparing the two, Nexstar to Autostar what are the pros and cons of both?

#7 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

The differences between the handsets? Easiest way I know to tell you is go to the respective websites and download the instruction manuals for each handset. They both have a menu tree of the layout and logic path for how to get to each command. For the Nexstar, I like it best because it puts most commands for items you'd want, such as type of object to view, as a top-level command vs the Autostar's tendency to have to go down through the menu tree to find things. And maybe it's just me, but I find the CG-5/Nexstar easier to connect to and drive from SkyTools, and better pointing and tracking accuracy than any of the Meades I've ever owned.

I've not run into trouble with the CG-5's gears, other than having to readjust the RA motor for proper gear mesh with the drive shaft only once after an entire year of heavy use, mostly in quite cold weather, which I suspect caused the motor to loosen from its bracket.

I'd briefly considered an iOptron, but I don't know anything about the "xxx-Towers" to make any recommendation; the one I was considering was the iEQ-45; I had been considering that along with a Losmandy GM8 (sans Gemini), but ultimately went with another CG-5 since I really couldn't justify the larger mounts.

#8 Edsan91

Edsan91

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Yes the handsets, I will be sure to check out those websites you mention. I see I see, Since you mention that the CG5 is better and tracking accuracy I am getting more interested in the mount. I look for Accuracy, reliability, and convenience, so then maybe it was just unlucky people who have had issues.

I don't know much about iOpton either but it looks alright. It looks like the Cg5 is a solid performer! Have you taken any video or Astrographs with the Cg5? If so can you share them please? :)

#9 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Sorry I'm visual only imaging bores me.

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Should you get an LX80? It looks nice...but... How is the tracking? Pointing? How stable? No one knows, yet. Period. ;)

#11 Edsan91

Edsan91

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hmmm Yea LOL I don't know how well it performs yet but I will have to wait. And nice website! I think once I have come across it while searching google images! That's awesome that you replied to this post :D. I am reading your blog and website! So how has the CG5 performed for you? Those images look great!

#12 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

I would recommend the CG-5 over the LXD-75 or iOptron SmartStar-PR and like everyone else said the LX-80 *looks* good but we just do not know yet how it is in reality.

BUT - You mentioned Imaging in your future and also the Atlas EQ-G. The Atlas EQ-G (or Skywatcher EQ6 or Celestron CGEM) are quite a large step in capabilities for a mount to be used for imaging. The Atlas/EQ6/CGEM may be more expensive and physically heavier then the CG-5 but if with long-exposure imaging in your plans THOSE are the mounts I would recommend.

#13 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

I agree with Falcon and the rest of the friends. :)

#14 chemman

chemman

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

So I broke my GEM mount over the past weekend and am in the market for a new mount with a bit of urgency. I started looking around on Monday and ran across the LX80. Since computer control and imaging are in the future for the mount the LX80 seemed like a good option. The problem was that "nobody knows for sure" when I will have it sitting in my yard. Well yesterday I was calling around and it appears that Meade shipped some out on Monday to fill back orders. Has anyone checked their doorstep to to see if UPS tossed one over the front gate and into their yard?

#15 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

I wish my Gemini II had the Nexstar software....

#16 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

So I broke my GEM mount over the past weekend and am in the market for a new mount with a bit of urgency. I started looking around on Monday and ran across the LX80. Since computer control and imaging are in the future for the mount the LX80 seemed like a good option. The problem was that "nobody knows for sure" when I will have it sitting in my yard. Well yesterday I was calling around and it appears that Meade shipped some out on Monday to fill back orders. Has anyone checked their doorstep to to see if UPS tossed one over the front gate and into their yard?

OPT says in stock for some scope + mount combinations. The mount alone seems to be still on pre-order status. I received an email notification from them yesterday. See the link below:
http://www.optcorp.c...=1-600-603-1928

Ajay

#17 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

I own and use both Meade and Celestron HC'ers... and while I actually prefer the Celestron for its ease of use. I'm not about to knock the Meade HC

The Meade is just fine AFTER you get used to using it...and it also has some "handy" functions that are useful ..

Bottom line.. the HC is a non issue..Come-on-Man I know we all learned how to program a VCR at one point in our life... LOL

Bob G

#18 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Aurora

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Great question! This is my question now too. I am soon purchasing a mallincam and wanted a true EQ mount, but like alt-az options too. Just don't have enough info on the LX-80 yet. Not to mention the vendors forum announced a price hike happening soon on the LX-80 because of unforeseen production cots being too high. I think it was mentioned tat the LX- 80 by itself was going up some $200 soon.

I've yet to see any user reviews, so I think a stable Celestron CG5 might be what I'll buy. I mainly wanted the LX-80 because I've never used a GEM and I'm a little intimidated by it, but I think I just need to jump in and get over that one.

Edit - just checked again in vendors forum. $200 price increase May1st. Not gonna get my tax money in on time for that, so it makes the CG5 more appealing now.

#19 belgrade

belgrade

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, TX

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

If the LX-80 happens to work (close to) as advertised it's clearly a better option than the CG5. Especially for the price now in effect, not necessarily the one effective 5/1/12. But... at this point no one knows whether it will perform satisfactorily so I'd say, between these two monts, at this moment in time the CG5 would a sure bet.

#20 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I was in the market for a GOTO mounting, my search is on hold right now.
iOptrons looked interesting but got confused by their website and there are more models for sale than the website lists . .
I am curious about the Kson mounts but there are no first hand experiences on this site.
so, same as the OP, it is not clear what to buy.

Wishing there is a website with a spreadsheet for all the mounts . . . . hint hint :-)

#21 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

From the specs on the MEADE website, is the tracking accuracy of the LX-80 likely to be better than the CG-5?

I think one advantage of the CG-5 is Celestron's polar alignment routine. Frankly, wonder why Meade has not yet figured out a similar routine?

Alfredo

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics