• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Vegas|13Five

Vegas|13Five

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

After a few months of battling internally on a lightweight mount with decent capacity i finally settled on the IEQ30. Will be carrying my VMC200L with autoguider and camera (should be under 18lb of gear fully loaded); lets see how it does, UPS shows it arriving Friday...! :question:

#2 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

After a few months of battling internally on a lightweight mount with decent capacity i finally settled on the IEQ30. Will be carrying my VMC200L with autoguider and camera (should be under 18lb of gear fully loaded); lets see how it does, UPS shows it arriving Friday...! :question:

would enjoy hearing about it and seeing pics with the scope mounted. I'm giving serious consideration to the iEQ30 for use with my FSQ-106. -Tim

#3 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Can't wait for the report - seriously considering this mount for my two current scopes at 15lbs each or a new one that will be more like 10lbs.

#4 Vegas|13Five

Vegas|13Five

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Will get pictures posted as soon as it shows; hope to get out to Mt. Charleston with it this weekend if weather allows. The (only) beautifull thing about vegas; clear skies almost every day... :cool:

#5 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Mine arrived yesterday...unfortunately, it came in three boxes with TWO mount heads and no pier. We're getting it straightened out. Looks cool, though.

Paul

#6 igluck

igluck

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

Also looking forward to hearing how it does. I almost bought one at NEAF this past weekend, but decided to let you all be the beta testers, err, I mean lucky first users. :)

#7 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

Mine arrived yesterday...unfortunately, it came in three boxes with TWO mount heads and no pier. We're getting it straightened out. Looks cool, though. Paul

I wonder who the lucky person is that's getting two piers and NO mount head :grin:

#8 Vegas|13Five

Vegas|13Five

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

This would be just my luck; I went with standard tripod so maybe just straight forwad enough for the fellas in shipping... :foreheadslap:

#9 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

Vegas - they were being nice and rushing it to me (while people were away at NEAF) and there was a quick mix-up at the LA Port. They've already got the pier coming out and I have my return UPS label ready to go.

Everyone's been really great all through this and the buying stage. They always answer my questions very quickly, etc.

Paul

#10 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

looks like good gear to me. I look forward to vibration testing by purchasers. Anything quieter than the CG5 sounds good to me.

#11 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Looking at the pictures on ioptron's website, the ieq30 does NOT appear to use the same 4 knobbed clutch design that caused problems in the ieg45. But I can't see a clutch lever in the pictures. I'd like to know how the ieq30 clutch works if one of the new owners could report that back. Thanks in advance!...John

#12 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Looking at the pictures on ioptron's website, the ieq30 does NOT appear to use the same 4 knobbed clutch design that caused problems in the ieg45. But I can't see a clutch lever in the pictures. I'd like to know how the ieq30 clutch works if one of the new owners could report that back. Thanks in advance!...John

John, It's a single lever design, on the opposite side of the axis that shows in the pics you mentioned. Someone posted a Thread here in Mounts category with a link to a NEAF video of the iEQ30, it shows the clutch in action. Look for thread called iEQ30. -Tim

#13 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Pier arrived Tuesday...but a particular bolt was missing (one was supposed to be taken off the iEQ30 tripod, but I didn't order it with a tripod) - as the new pier works with either the 45 or 30 (just change bolts). The bolt allows for fine alt/az corrections. It's in the mail now.

The clutch system is easy and lays out well against the hand. Setup is quick. I did an inside-the-house test to hear the motors...fairly quiet. I'll get a db reading on another day (I want that bolt!).

So far, with a few hiccups in getting everything gathered in one place, it's nice.

Paul

#14 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Thanks Tim!

John, It's a single lever design, on the opposite side of the axis that shows in the pics you mentioned. Someone posted a Thread here in Mounts category with a link to a NEAF video of the iEQ30, it shows the clutch in action. Look for thread called iEQ30. -Tim

#15 Pedestal

Pedestal

Skylab

• Loc: Smoggy Bottom, Baytown,Texas

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

I ordered one yesterday, I sure hope it arrives in time to get it sorted out before the transit. I plan to mount my 80mm WO triplet and camera on it.

#16 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

I wonder if I can order the mount without a tripod. I already have both tripods and the pier. Don't need another one!

#17 PeterWar

PeterWar

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

This thread looks promising, can't wait to see the first pics and get more reports.

I'm interested to buy it, although ieq30 looks expensive as it's almost the price of ieq45.

#18 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

This thread looks promising, can't wait to see the first pics and get more reports.

I'm interested to buy it, although ieq30 looks expensive as it's almost the price of ieq45.

If you are like me, then you'll pay extra for the reduced weight it has.

I was looking at the LX-80 and saw the total weight and dismissed it. Don't want my setup to be a chore. The ieq45 is pretty light too. I'm also considering that one, but this 30 really looks like the ticket for me.

#19 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

By the way, took it out for a quick (three hour run) with a friend's Mallincam on a Simon-Boren 6" PowerNewt. Quick polar align (still haven't gotten the missing screw yet for fine alt/az adjustment). Go-to's were all on the chip (granted, it's an F/2.8) and damping times on the pier were under a second. I tapped the foot of the pier, the mid-section of the pier, and the mount head. All the same under 1 second damp.

Someone in another discussion suggested a tennis ball on a string (or something) to be able to quantify the force used when measuring damping. No way I'm throwin' a tennis ball at my scope, even if it's for the good of science!

Paul
So far, so good.

#20 Pedestal

Pedestal

Skylab

• Loc: Smoggy Bottom, Baytown,Texas

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Oop! Posted in wrong thread!

#21 Vegas|13Five

Vegas|13Five

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Well after my first week of ownership I'm not sure what I think; first night out I noticed significant backlash along the RA access, wasn't sure what my expectations should be so moved on with setup and alignment. After a few hours of unsuccessful attempts on night one I gave up. Night two, last night, setup tripod and mount in my back yard for another attempt. Went to mount my tube with gear, just about had it mounted and the mount starts free-spinning along the RA access as I have one hand on my scope (clutch fully locked); just about dropped the scope :( I immediately removed the scope and moved the mount back in the house to figure out what was going on. Pulled the plastic cover off the RA motor to find that (5) of the allen head screws securing the motor plate to the mount, and the motor to the plate were completely loose, not even finger tight :foreheadslap: I tightened all the loose screws and found that about 90% of the back lash was gone. I did notice that there are now chatter marks on the teeth of the worm gear from slippage. I'm not sure what to think about this situation, or whether there will be any imaging issues with the slightly damaged worm gear?? I'm pretty new to all this, but have tried to take my time and purchase decent, quality equipment... Any thoughts????

#22 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

... Pulled the plastic cover off the RA motor to find that (5) of the allen head screws securing the motor plate to the mount, and the motor to the plate were completely loose, not even finger tight :foreheadslap: I tightened all the loose screws and found that about 90% of the back lash was gone. I did notice that there are now chatter marks on the teeth of the worm gear from slippage. I'm not sure what to think about this situation, or whether there will be any imaging issues with the slightly damaged worm gear?? I'm pretty new to all this, but have tried to take my time and purchase decent, quality equipment... Any thoughts????

Thought one...if you can see/feel marks on the worm gear teeth it will wreak havoc for DSO imaging.

Thought two...those marks were caused by improper assembly of your mount. I'd send it back ASAP. Even if you do not image, these marks have severely hurt your resale price should you ever want to sell your mount....John

#23 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Well after my first week of ownership I'm not sure what I think; first night out I noticed significant backlash along the RA access, wasn't sure what my expectations should be so moved on with setup and alignment. After a few hours of unsuccessful attempts on night one I gave up. Night two, last night, setup tripod and mount in my back yard for another attempt. Went to mount my tube with gear, just about had it mounted and the mount starts free-spinning along the RA access as I have one hand on my scope (clutch fully locked); just about dropped the scope :( I immediately removed the scope and moved the mount back in the house to figure out what was going on. Pulled the plastic cover off the RA motor to find that (5) of the allen head screws securing the motor plate to the mount, and the motor to the plate were completely loose, not even finger tight :foreheadslap: I tightened all the loose screws and found that about 90% of the back lash was gone. I did notice that there are now chatter marks on the teeth of the worm gear from slippage. I'm not sure what to think about this situation, or whether there will be any imaging issues with the slightly damaged worm gear?? I'm pretty new to all this, but have tried to take my time and purchase decent, quality equipment... Any thoughts????

Without a doubt, return the mount. Exchange it for another and then let us know how it works. Things like this happen, just look at the LX-800 thread.

#24 Vegas|13Five

Vegas|13Five

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

I was afraid that migh be the general concensus.. I wouldn't say that the gear was significantly damaged, but you can see the shine on the teeth from where it slipped.. My setup is used primarily for imaging so this was my concern as well. I think the smart move would be to return it and avoid the risk of future issues; all I can hope now is that High Point Scientific return process is relatively painless. I appreciate the Input.

#25 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

If the worm or ring gear are actually damaged, that is definitely not a good thing since the majority of all PE comes from them. However, you should try to make sure that there is actual damage as opposed to cosmetic damage. Not all gears are picture perfect, but significant damage will show readily in the mount's PE.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics