Avalon M.Uno @ NEAF

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

The linear mount is the fat ugly sister to the skinny sexy sister m-uno... :grin:

#52 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Looking at Morten's formula and the corrected belt and idler size from Avalon, I'd say the actual deflection should be < 1/2 of what Morten calculates, so maybe 1" at 5 m/s.

A 5 m/s wind is pretty strong (that's about 12 mph).

But I also do see the point from Jesper that in many places the wind is not milliseconds-long gusting but is continuous, and even say a 5 mph (very moderate) continuous wind would produce problems.

But the only solution that I know of to address wind is massive over-mounting. I'm pretty sure my Mach1 would also deflect undesirably even in a 5 mph wind (although part of that is my cheap and cheesy tripod). And as Jesper points out, in Europe a Mach1 is 2X the price of the Avalon mount..

So I guess it boils down to.. you can't win 'em all. :D

#53 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

I received the following from Luciano (translated from the Italian):

I want to clarify that we do not intend at all to deny the fact that the mount is sensitive to the wind, but as explained, it simply behaves in a different way and in cases of moderate wind, though you may see a graph with wider swings than classic mounts with worms, the end result is generally better (this is the objective result of our tests and the direct feedback of many of our clients).

I'm so sorry that Mr. Jesper was not able to get in touch directly with me. I understand that he has to fight with the wind constantly and I do confirm my availability in order to give him all the necessary information to reduce his problem and allow a better use of the mount which, considering that it is used with a C11, certainly requires a particular attention with respect to the setting of the various guiding parameters.

I hope that it is OK to post that.

#54 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Jesper,

Please turn on the Private Messaging through CN or contact me directly.

Ed.

#55 Jesper

Jesper

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Ed, thanks for your help. I will PM you later today. I turned private messaging off because I didn't visit CN for a long period and came back and found some old unanswered messages.

The C11 is my heaviest scope. I normally do deep sky imaging with a much lighter APO and it is that setup that gives me the wind problems. The C11 just makes it easier to feel the elasticity directly.

5 meters per second in the wind gusts is enough to make the images useless for me. It has to be nearly calm for the mount to live up to its potential.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I was disappointed that the Avalon Linear is worse than my EQ6/Atlas when there’s any kind of wind. I was expecting it to be better. If I had known that I would have saved up for an AP.

#56 dedo

dedo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy, Rome

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

For what is worth I've known Luciano and I can only confirm that he is a very helpful person to speak with.

Here you have a manufaturer which is saying you to contact him.

Do it, I'm sure he will do his best to address your problems with his product. :)

Clear skies
Andrea

#57 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

This is what my image of M81 looks like with wind blowing at 13MPH with 20MPH gust using C-8 EdgeHD at 2000mm focal length and A-P Mach1 GEM. That night, the wind was totally unexpected and I was hoping it was temporary but the wind progressively got worse so I quit imaging early. This is a stack of 26 x 10 minutes using SXVR-M25C OSC camera. More details are at:

M81 at 13MPH

I am not sure if Paramount or larger A-P mounts would do a better job. I wonder if Avalon M.Uno would be just as good.

Peter

Attached Files

#58 Elio_Italy

Elio_Italy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy, Sabina

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hi guys :)
I used avalon linear in much nights, shooting with a Tec140 and never trash a sub image.
I try also @f 10 with subs about 15minutes, (as ever) guided by lacerta MGen on a 50mm finderview...

I know personally Mr Avalon (Luciano Dal Sasso) and nobody in astronomy market (and not only here) seems to be every times AVAILABLE, PREPARED, RELIABLE as him!

Here you can find some shots of mine... look the boost I obtained with linear mount: before this I used a G11 but every nights there were some problem to find guiding parameters :mad:

A day I will change my Linear mount...yes, but only with an M-Uno ;)

A last...not compare Avalon Mount with others, they are a thing apart: if you want compare to weight, cost, semplicity of use and beauty!

#59 dedo

dedo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy, Rome

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Too bad I missed your TEC Elio, but mine is beautiful too ;) hope to see you soon, this time with a 160 maybe....

ciao
Andrea Perfetti

#60 Elio_Italy

Elio_Italy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy, Sabina

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

:bawling:
parliamo di 180, sennò non sogno a gratis :foreheadslap:

e bravo Andrea, complimenti ;)

see you soon...