ES Twilight I alt az mount

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Well I got mine today, (ordered it Wednesday early AM) and opened it up and a quick assembly and must say I'm quite pleased with it as it sits here.
The designers used a bit of grey matter on this one as most fear of this or that is not a problem for me at least.
Opening up all the boxes looking for some sort of instructions were fruitless, but it's a no brainer for all but one thing where I wish I could have at least known ahead of time like with the Voyager with the 3 screws and the strict order not to mess with.
So full speed ahead and undid 4 allen heads and what I was hoping for was what I was rewarded with.
On the az the slo mo cable is right in line with the alt slo mo cable when pointed at higher elevations.
With this mount undo the 4 screws and rotate the az head to where you want the slo mo cable to be.
The same hole pattern on the alt head is the same on the az head so no worry about finding the right place for locating the dovetail or az head.
Cloudy tonight so no checking out the stability of the tripod.
Below is a pic of the mount set up with the az slo mo like on Portamount
m2

Attached Files

#2 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

The face plate of both alt and az heads

Attached Files

#3 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

The clutch tension knobs are quite nice as they let you tighten them up and if they get in the way the handle slides down with a spring loaded on the shaft to keep it engaged yet able to move it out of the way.
So far I'm liking it.
m2

Attached Files

#4 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Good info & nice photos.

Sounds like you won't need this but in case you are interested, here's a link to the instruction manual for the Orion VG III: http://www.telescope...29447_04-12.pdf

I couldn't wait & ordered a Twilight I, also - mine should be arriving on Monday.

#5 jochsner

jochsner

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: PA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

This mount looks great!
Will it support a 8" SCT with finder and 2" ep's I'm wondering?
Are the legs rock solid? Is the height suitable for seated viewing?
THANKS-

#6 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for the link OMIH, but it does not say what the 4 washers that come with are used for.
I have an idea but will have to wait till later today to find out.
m2

#7 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

It's actually going to be clear sky tonight so I loaded up my new mount with my WO Megrez 80 and ready for darkness
A few shots of it below
m2

Attached Files

#8 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

Another

Attached Files

#9 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

One more.
Right now there is no backlash on either slo mo, turning it is a now instead of wait a bit for it to kick in.
With the legs collapsed all the way in the mount stays on its feet and not as backwards tippy as the Porta and Voyager when the scope is parked between it legs.
m2

Attached Files

#10 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Looks good Manny, I see your mod fits it ok. Did you have to make a new one for this mount? Any ideas on a lever for the tension adjustments on the voyager?

Eric

#11 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Yes it does look good Eric!.
Do my mods fit okay??? They fit like they were made for it;-)
The only thing I might change is the length of the verticle plate, making it a tad longer so the scope sits lower, but the bracket shown fits a Portamount and now the ES Twilight I.
Ideas for the tension on the Voyager??? Drawing a blank here.
Would be intersesting to see if the EST knobs would fit the Voyager but where would one get the knobs from?
These knobs thread into an empty threaded hole and must put pressure on down below.
Don't know if the Voyager's tension screws thread out allowing a new knob to fit.
But what are the chances of the ES T's knobs fit.
m2

#12 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

• Loc: Abilene, Kansas

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

I see the azimuth control can be moved so it can be out of the way of the focuser, cool! It sure looks good. Can't wait for your first light report. Nice bright moon out tonight, enjoy!

#13 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

No first light last night as the force was much too powerful.
m2

#14 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

m2,

Nice photos.

So where did you put those four washers?

And those locks for extending the tripod legs look a little more robust than the Voyager.

I noticed that the ES Shopping website now shows the ES Ti mount for $299.

#15 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

I put the washers on the coffee table.
I had to work today and no time to find the true home for them.
I suspect they go under the spreader for the tripod.
m2

#16 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

Came across another part that has no home, 3 hole spacing identicle to the 3 holes on altitude head since there are no directions in the box I'm guessing it's a spare cltuch bearing.
No way to post a photo of it since my regular computer mother board fan died Sunday night and using a backup netbook.
m2

#17 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

The "I" is looking good. Altitude arm looks solid enough to handle a Short tube 100mm. Let us know how well vibes are controlled at high mags.

Nice "Manny" mods! :cool:

#18 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

Got my ES Twilight I assembled with my new ES 102ED APO. Unfortunately weather has been clousy the past couple of nights, so I haven't had time to test them outdoors.

Some things I noticed:
-The mount arm can only be oriented vertical or 60-degrees from vertical, and not 30-degrees from vertical as is advertised at the Orion website for the Versago III.

-My ES 102ED APO scope arrived with a broken 1/4-20 nylon thumbscrew for mounting the finder scope to the bracket on the OT. I replaced it with a temporary 1/4-20 white nylon screw.

-Mine came with 3 flat washers, two of which I mounted on the long shaft for the tripod spreader.

-There was also a retainer to keep the long shaft from falling down when you unscrew it from the mount base.

-Mine also came with the circular plate that m2 mentioned.

-I was pleasantly surprised to find the L-shape Allen wrench is held to the mount arm by several strong magnets.

-With the mount in the astronomical position (mount arm inclined at 60 degrees from vertical), tripod legs fully extended, & my 102ED APO scope oriented vertically up, the eyepiece (in the diagonal) is approximately 33" from the ground / floor.

-The Twilight I mount + tripod weighs 18 lbs according to my digital bathroom scale. My ES 102ED APO w/a 10mm eyepiece weighs 14 lbs.

-The tripod leg locks appear to be robust.

-The OT assembly appears to be pretty stable when in the vertical orientation w/ the legs fully extended.

Attached Files

#19 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks Jim!
m2

#20 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Looking good there OMIH!!!
m2

#21 GrampaMoose

GrampaMoose

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: The Woods & Waters Of Michigan

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

Can you remove the mount from the tripod and install it on a surveyors tripod (5/8 x 16) ???

#22 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

G Moose,

I’m also interested in hearing Manny’s reply to your question but in the meantime let me give you some related info about the ES TI mount.

-The mount has a female 3/8” threaded female socket which mates with the top end of the vertical shaft for the spreader plate/eyepiece holder.

-The vertical shaft for the spreader plate/eyepiece holder is ½” O.D. and reduces to a 3/8” threaded male section at the top end which ties into the bottom underside of the mount.

-A 3/8” X ½” shoulder bushing is placed at the change of shaft diameter to allow tightening/fastening of the mount to the tripod.

-The tripod legs are 1-1/2” O.D. chrome steel legs.

-The pair of bracket ears for each tripod leg is approximately 1-1/4” apart.

Other comments:

This is my first alt-azimuth mount and I can only compare it to the dual fork equatorial mount of my 25 year old Meade 8” SCT, so the following comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

-The ES TI tripod is much shorter than my Meade scope, and finding any overhead object, e.g., Mars was inconvenient to say the least. Of course, a 90-degree RA finderscope would have helped a lot.

-With the tripod legs fully extended & viewing Saturn at 143X, the ES TI mount seems to vibrate more than my old Meade scope mount. Touching the fine focuser on my ES 102ED APO scope & touching the slow motion knobs on the mount makes the image bounce around. My Meade scope also bounces around when using its cruder slow motion controls and focusing, but the vibrations seem to dampen out quicker. I have not tried to weigh down the ES TI mount.

-I really like the slow motion controls on the ES TI mount because they are much better than that on my old Meade scope.

-I'm thinking about the possibility of mounting the ES TI mount on my Meade tripod by using steel angle at each leg bracket (crazy idea).

#23 munchmeister

munchmeister

Ranger 4

• Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

M2 et al: Any thoughts on how this compares to the Vixen Porta II? I'm in the market for an alt az for my newly acquired Orion 120mm ST. Any recommendations?

#24 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

I recall reading some criticism of the Porta II's tripod being vibration prone, and that the Vixen Star Guy was an improvement. The specs of the Star Guy (operating height, load capacity, weight) seem similar to the ES I but at $100 more.

I was curious why you want an alt-az mount since your scope came w/ an Orion Astroview EQ mount.

#25 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

I can confirm that the Porta II with the original legs is vibration prone. The StarGuy version has legs of a stiffer box-form like the AT Voyager (much better). Anti-vibration pads make a huge difference in both cases. I feel an ES in my future. I've been hoping for steel legs.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics