ES Twilight I alt az mount

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 72king

72king

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Ordered scope (skywatcher pro 100ed) and mount. Should be here next week.

#52 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

Is there a compatible extension tube for this mount? Like this one here for the AT Voyager mount.

Does anyone know? :question:

I suggest you phone ES & ask them if the pier extension for the Twilight II mount will work on the Twilight I. They told me that the Twilight I mount head will fit on the Twilight II tripod (they installed it while I waited on the phone).

Here's the link for the pier extension: http://store.explore...lightmount.aspx

Good luck.

#53 Shawn H

Shawn H

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Equatorial Guinea, West Africa

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Anybody get an answer if the pier extension works on the Twilight 1 :question:

#54 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

Anybody get an answer if the pier extension works on the Twilight 1 :question:

I called a couple times this afternoon but got voicemail both times... I didn't bother to leave one though.

#55 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

FWIW, here's a link to another thread that indicates the TW I head will fit on the CG5/CG4 tripods:

http://www.cloudynig...=5338638&Forum=,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,f41,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,&Words=ES%20Twiglight%20I&Searchpage=17&Limit=50&Main=5337061&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=1&oldertype=w&bodyprev=#Post5338638

#56 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

I'd like to clarify some small errors from my previous posts regarding the TWI:

-The weight of the raw mount/tripod is 15.3 lbs. (my previous post of 18 lbs. is wrong)

-The vertical shaft which screws into the bottom of the mount head has a metric 10mm (X1.50) thread (my previous post of 3/8" is wrong).

#57 EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lomita, CA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Well 9 days later I got the rest of the parts for my mount. I cAn't believe that it took 9 days to get here from Arkansas.....

That aside, with the collar and the washers the mount is now pretty darned steady and is a perfect match for my 80mm. tonight I will try my 100ed on it. If that work I will be berry berry happy!

#58 Shawn H

Shawn H

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:41 AM

I just ordered one! :rainbow: But couldn't find anything on an extension! :crazy:

#59 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

I just ordered one! :rainbow: But couldn't find anything on an extension! :crazy:

The extension is for the Twilight II mount & there's a question as to whether it will fit OK on the Twilight I.

Here's a link: http://store.explore...lightmount.aspx

But $99 is a somewhat expensive price to pay for a few more inches of height & you might consider investigating a more robust tripod. Our local Home Depot hardware store sells a surveyors tripod for $80, and I'm investigating the possibility of adapting it to the Twilight I.

#60 Shawn H

Shawn H

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:20 AM

Stellarvue sells a nice surveyors tripod, but it goes for $199 bucks, Home depot is definately the better deal if you can adapt the mount to it! ;)

#61 EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

So I finally got a chance to try the Twilight I mount head on my CG-5 tripod and got mixed results....

The alignment peg on the CG-5 tripod had to be removed to fit the Twilight I mount. Other than that it fit perfectly and was much more stable than the tripod it came with but still not ideal for larger scopes.

I was hoping that I could use my 100ED with this mount but it is just too shakey and proper focusing is a real chore. Just to be sure I tightened everything up and placed anitvibration pads under the tripod. Still stoo shakey. :(

So I guess in the end I have found a perfect G&G mount for my 80mm and that'll help but not exactly what I have been looking for....

#62 Shawn H

Shawn H

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

Is there any way you could add weights to the tripod :question:

#63 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

So I finally got a chance to try the Twilight I mount head on my CG-5 tripod and got mixed results....

The alignment peg on the CG-5 tripod had to be removed to fit the Twilight I mount. Other than that it fit perfectly and was much more stable than the tripod it came with but still not ideal for larger scopes.

I was hoping that I could use my 100ED with this mount but it is just too shakey and proper focusing is a real chore. Just to be sure I tightened everything up and placed anitvibration pads under the tripod. Still stoo shakey. :(

At what magnification does the focusing become problematic for both configurations w/ and w/o the CG-5 tripod? On my Meade tripod, there are still shakes when focusing but they damp out quicker than with the ES tripod. I only went as high as 143X on my 100ED scope.

And when you are focusing your scope, are the axial brakes fully clamped down on your mount?

I guess the next step up in alt-az mounts w/ slow motion controls would be something like the Canadian Telescope Heavy Duty Duo T mount that Woodland Hills sells. But I think I can live with what I have now.

#64 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm sure weights can be added somehow, but doing so kinda defeats the grab n go.

#65 EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

At what magnification does the focusing become problematic for both configurations w/ and w/o the CG-5 tripod? On my Meade tripod, there are still shakes when focusing but they damp out quicker than with the ES tripod. I only went as high as 143X on my 100ED scope.

And when you are focusing your scope, are the axial brakes fully clamped down on your mount?

I guess the next step up in alt-az mounts w/ slow motion controls would be something like the Canadian Telescope Heavy Duty Duo T mount that Woodland Hills sells. But I think I can live with what I have now.

I tried several mags.... highest was 194X then 134X and finally 38X all were pretty much unacceptable for me. But that's with my f/9 100ED. Like I said my ES 80mm rides quite solidly on this mount.

#66 EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Is there any way you could add weights to the tripod :question:

That would be easy to do... and I may try it at some point, but I want this mount to be as portable as possible.

#67 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

Again, let me say that I do get vibrations when I focus my ES 102ED APO (f7), but I can live with this. Tightening down the locks for both the azimuthal and altitude bearings is recommended before focusing to reduce the vibrations.

I also noticed that my ES TWI's azimuthal bearing has some detectable slop or play even after the azimuthal lock has been fully tightened down. The Orion Versago III manual does not indicate how to tighten the bearing. Perhaps this is the main source of the vibrations (?).

I think I'll send an email inquiry to ES and see if they can suggest anything.

#68 OldManInHawaii

OldManInHawaii

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Again, let me say that I do get vibrations when I focus my ES 102ED APO (f7), but I can live with this. Tightening down the locks for both the azimuthal and altitude bearings is recommended before focusing to reduce the vibrations.

I also noticed that my ES TWI's azimuthal bearing has some detectable slop or play even after the azimuthal lock has been fully tightened down. The Orion Versago III manual does not indicate how to tighten the bearing. Perhaps this is the main source of the vibrations (?).

I think I'll send an email inquiry to ES and see if they can suggest anything.

Just received the following quick response to my inquiry from ES:

"I saw your question regarding your Twilight I mount. Unfortunately, there is not a way to tighten the azimuth bearing. It’s actually a worm gear. There is a free spinning worm shaft that is pushing, pulling on a worm wheel/gear. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty DeBriyn

marty@bresser.com

T: 866-252-3811 Ext. 311

F: 479-717-2898

#69 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Came across another part that has no home, 3 hole spacing identicle to the 3 holes on altitude head since there are no directions in the box I'm guessing it's a spare cltuch bearing.

m2

I just received my ES Twilight today, and also found the extra part.
Does anyone have any idea of what its for?
I spent an hour scratching my head about it, until I found this post.
If it is superfluous it seems like a waste of materials.

Steve

Attached Files

#70 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I too experienced some vibration and traced it to the arm. There is a bit of flexure in this component. My solution was to add two steel plates and essentially fill the opening in the arm. Vibration and damping time are significantly reduced. The photo shows this mod. This entire setup (minus the Nagler) weighs 11.2lb. or about 75% the rated capacity of the mount.

Posted Image

#71 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

I just heard from Explore Scientific about the extra part.
Here is what they said.

"I apologize for the lack of a manual, or instructions for that piece. That piece is an adapter so that the tripod can be used as a camera tripod. Basically, you can detach part of the top of your mount head and place that piece on there so that you can attach a camera to your tripod. It is just an accessory, and not necessary for the mounts intended functions."

Steve

#72 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Thanks Steve for the info on the mystery part.

#73 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

My solution was to add two steel plates and essentially fill the opening in the arm. Vibration and damping time are significantly reduced.

Nicely done!
Looks like a great idea.
I had mine out tonight with my C5, It worked really well.
I used some vibration pads and dampening time after a good rap to one of the tripod legs while using 150X was only about 2 seconds.
Acceptable for this class of small mount.
I'm looking forward to trying my 105 F-6 achromat on it.
The tripod could be a touch taller, but so far I'm very happy with it for a lightweight grab and go type mount.

Steve

#74 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Steve,
The mod reduced my damping time to about 1/2 second (certainly under one second) and touching the focuser induced very little movement. I also found that leg vibration in this mount was virtually nil on a hard surface if the rubber leg tips are removed. I think that my AV pads work best with aluminum leg tripods. The steel legs used by ES are very stiff and don't carry much (if any) vibration in my setup.

#75 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Craig,
I was also thinking about removing the rubber tips.
I'll give it a try.
The C5 is very stable on the mount as it's a short stubby tube. There was no vibration at all using the smooth SCT focus knob. My 4 inch F-6 achromat will probably be a different story, however a fast achromat is not a high power scope anyway. I found the slow motion controls on the mount to be very smooth and responsive as well.
I'd love to hear more about your modification, as it might be something I look into in the future.

Steve

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics