Photo

"Best" software for Mac?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

I used to own and run on Mac up through Tiger (10.5?), and the only Mac astro programs I used were CdC & AstroPlanner. Both native mac programs which work very well together. Of course if I were to do it today, I'd run my SkyTools on a Mac through a Win virtual machine.

Another good program that's now been ported to Mac is the Virtual Moon Atlas.

#27 kriss13

kriss13

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Europe

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I love SkySafari Pro on my mac. I have used Stary Night Pro+ for years but it would really use the CPU when working away. This would draw down the battery faster than I likes. I started using SkySafari for the iPad and bought the mac version when it came out. It is very smooth, easy to use are hardy puts any load on the processor so the battery will last longer through the night.

I have to use Windows 7 on my Macbook pro for a few imaging programs. I wish I could use SkySafari Pro on Windows 7 with the ASCOM driver.

Funny, on my Mac SkySafari Pro has 100% cpu load while Stary Night Pro+ has 4%. MBP 2008.
Weird is that SkySafari (simple) does not load the cpu much.

Stelarium is another cpu hog... hate it for this.

Unfortunately i managed only the hogs (SkySafari Pro and Stelarium) to connect to my scope.
I just cannot connect my favorite Stary Night Pro+ to my EQ-5 goto. (any ideas?)

#28 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Funny, on my Mac SkySafari Pro has 100% cpu load while Stary Night Pro+ has 4%. MBP 2008.
Weird is that SkySafari (simple) does not load the cpu much.

Something unusual is going on in your case. I have a 2008 vintage MPB for testing and I get about 4% CPU usage while just idling (in real time mode) and it might jump up to 60% while panning around. If you are really pegged at 100% then please contact me at our support email and we will try to figure this out.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics