#1 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

Hi all,

Just to give you a heads up, I have released on the itunes store a useful free app that downloads data from 7Timer! and formats it in an easy to view series of graphs for the next few days.

You'll need iOS5 or greater and whilst it's for iPhone you can run it on an iPad or iPod Touch.

For those unsure what 7Timer! is, it is a website that gives you various forecast information for your location.

The app can be found here: App Store

You can let your location be determined by your iDevice automatically or you can enter in your location via the settings screen.

The standard mode is a red night time view (to prevent your night vision from being affected) but there are also five other colour modes (green, blue, yellow, grey & colours) for you to play around with.

If the app brings up a blank screen after the waiting icon disappears it means that the website is currently offline, just try again later.

Cheers and clear skies,
Simon (sibimon.net)

#2 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

Simon, this is a great app. Thank you for your efforts.

You saved me from going back and forth on 7Timer website to look up what symbol meant what! Your app delivers the info in a crystal clear format. Being a person who is always challenged with the use of colors in apps like this, I have really appreciated your not using colors to deliver critical information.

Thank you so much!

#3 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:55 AM

Firstly I want to thank everyone who has downloaded the app. It's had a decent amount of downloads, around 250 or so.

Secondly, I've submitted an update to the app last week and it should be approved within the next few days.

Fixes and features:
1) Temperature setting now saved.
2) Spelling mistakes fixed (I hope I got them all).
3) Fixed an issue with the time not being determined correctly.

4) You can now add up to 10 user locations by accessing the "Sky Harbinger" settings under the iPhone settings.
5) Added moon phase information as a percentage of full.
6) Wind Direction and Speed on the same line, touch to toggle between them.
7) Time and Date on the same line, touch to toggle between them.
8) DMS Location and Location Name can be toggled.
9) Added blue colour for temperatures less than 0C/32F.

Cheers,
Simon

#4 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

Thanks I use it regularly

#5 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

Does this work outside the US?

/Ira

#6 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

Does this work outside the US?

/Ira

Is certainly does (I myself am in Australia). If you are unsure if the app will work for your location you can go directly to the 7Timer! website @ http://7timer.y234.cn/ and pick the location you are interested in. All the app does is get the relevant data for your location and format it into some easy to read graphs.

Cheers,
Simon

#7 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Is the Time in local time for site (including Daylight Savings Time if in effect) or GMT/UTC? thanks!

#8 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

Is the Time in local time for site (including Daylight Savings Time if in effect) or GMT/UTC? thanks!

The time is the time of your device and the date is offset from this point. I was going to include swapping to local site time but it would mean determining timezones by location and I believe that is probably not as useful as you'd want to know the time from your own point of reference.

Sorry for that rant, in essence the time and date are referenced to the setting of your device.

Cheers,
Simon

#9 Mike Foreman

Mike Foreman

Messenger

• Loc: Texas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hi Simon
i downlosded it today and wanted to know if the temp can be changed to F insted of C in the weather pannel?
Thanks,
MikeF

#10 seeker372011

seeker372011

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney , Australia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

Excellent, just downloaded it , don't know how I missed this so far

#11 Mike Foreman

Mike Foreman

Messenger

• Loc: Texas

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi Simon
i downlosded it today and wanted to know if the temp can be changed to F insted of C in the weather pannel?
Thanks,
MikeF

Never mind today it let me change it.
:foreheadslap:

#12 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

Hi Mike.

Glad you solved the issue, I must admit the help isn't overly helpful in some places so sorry for the troubles.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm about to book in some time to update the app to fix a few bugs and hopefully get it to work natively on the iPad.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi Simon
Thanks,
MikeF

Never mind today it let me change it.
:foreheadslap:

#13 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:35 AM

Hi guys!

I have just submitted an update to Sky Harbinger, with any luck it will be approved within the next week or so.

After some investigation by a few people I am very confident I have finally solved the issues with the time line bug. Now those of you who use non-US International Settings on your phone should find that the time line display is now working correctly. I have also changed the time/date display to give a bit more information.

I have also added in a Dew Point Calculation line (calculated from the humidity and temperature) which has meant combining the Precipitation and Instability lines into one, you can toggle between them by tapping the label.

The app will now also work in either landscape orientation. I have decided not to adapt the app for iPad (with the release of the new bigger iPhone5 I will most likely wait for the app to be adapted to that first) but it will still run on the iPad in "iPhone Mode" or at "2x" as usual.

The biggest feature I have added is an Information Block. This is accessed by touching the appropriate time block along the bottom of the screen (where the Wind/Moon data is), you can also slide along the bottom part of the screen if you want. The Information Block displays the moon data for the time line along with a more textual description of the data for that time.

Cheers,
Simon

Attached Files

#14 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

App has been approved and is live on iTunes.

Cheers,
Simon

#15 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Covington, GA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

It's a great app. I like it. Thanks for the work you did in bringing this to us.

#16 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback, please leave a review on the itunes store if you are so inclined :)

Just a heads up, I've noticed that every now and then one or more of the data bands (mainly for the "seeing" value) will return with an invalid value. This causes the display the draw a long bar down the screen. When new data is generated it is often fixed but I'll check my error routines and see about implementing a fix.

Cheers,
Simon

#17 deepskytraveler

deepskytraveler

Vostok 1

• Loc: Worthington, OH

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Simon,

I'm experiencing a persistent problem with the latest version of Sky Harbinger, v1.02, under iOS 6. First thing that occurs is the app startup is taking a good 15 seconds (that is length of time I see the animated spinner). Then when the primary display screen pops up I see only the background color and the Settings button (no data display). The S button works as do all the buttons on the settings screen. When I exit back to the primary display the background and S button pop immediately, the spinner goes for another 15 seconds or so, and then nothing. It's as if something is timing out and therefore not displaying the data. I toggled Locations Services on and off. Basically the same result except that when starting the app I immediately get a splash screen telling me that location services have been denied. Also I have deleted the program and reloaded it from the App Store. Let me know what you think.

Thanks and clear skies,

Mark

#18 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hi Mark,

Yes this is a new problem but unrelated to iOS6.

The crunch of the issue is that the 7Timer website is going through some instability. It often times out or is totally unavailable. I unfortunately have no control over this and can only hope that they fix up the issues soon.

In the mean time I spent a bit if time chasing my tail trying to fix what I thought was an iOS6 bug only to find that it's a website server issue of some sort. Last night I uploaded a new version to the App Store for approval (1.0.3) that has some new error messages so that we will know what is going on along with a website timeout feature. I've also coded in the app to run natively on the new bigger screen of the iPhone5 and seeing I was at it the app will run full screen on the iPad as well.

To all of the users of this app I apologise for all these problems, I am trying to make sure the app does its best to get the data so that we can all get in some clear viewing.

Cheers,
Simon

#19 deepskytraveler

deepskytraveler

Vostok 1

• Loc: Worthington, OH

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Simon,

I appreciate your prompt response and explanation. After reading it I went to the 7Timer web site and this is what they had posted October 3 on their blog. "We notice the service has been in disruption since Sept 29, causing connection difficulty and data update failure. This is caused by overloading server due to heavy traffic, but we need to contact server administrator for further examinations. The examination will not take place until Oct 7 due to the national holiday week in China. We apologize for any inconveniences." Regardless of what the issues are we can only hope they get resolved quickly.

Thanks for bringing us Sky Harbinger and Alt Az Align, one of my favorites.

Clear skies,

Mark

#20 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

Hi all,

Not only is the 7Timer back to normal but the new version of the app has been approved and should be available to you to update within the next 24 hours.

Thanks to all for the support :)

Cheers,
Simon

#21 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

Invaluable, an app that does what it needs to without any frilly bits. Thanks for the effort.

Cheers

PeterW

#22 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hi all,

Thanks Peter.

In typical fashion though, I've just found a bug with the app. It only affects the iPad as far as I can tell. When you bring up the data block the moon is in the wrong position.

Before I fix it up, is there anything else you can think of that might be useful?

Cheers,
Simon

#23 James_826

James_826

Explorer 1

• Loc: Beggs, Ok

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Great app, thank you for developing it.

#24 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

Great app, thank you for developing it.

No worries :)

I've uploaded Version 1.0.4 with the iPad fix and it should be approved soon.

Cheers,
Simon

#25 kustard

kustard

Vendor (Alt Az Align)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hi everyone,

V1.0.4 has been approved. It fixes the moon graphics when running on an iPad/iPhone5.

Thanks again to everyone who uses the app :)

Cheers,
Simon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics