Coronado 12X60 BinoMite II Solar Binoculars

By Scott Beith

#2 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Nice report, Scott--thanks for sharing that! Even though these binos are no longer for sale new, I still think this report will be very helpful for those people looking for solar gear before the upcoming annular eclipse and Venus transit events. In fact, I believe I just saw one of these binos on AM earlier this week. Anyway, thanks for a job well done! :bow:

#3 tedbnh

tedbnh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

I've come to the conclusion lately that using solar binoculars (or binos with solar filters added) in public is very dangerous as it suggests to passers-by that it is OK to look at the sun with binoculars.

Especially with the Transit coming up, I suggest that we eliminate binos from our 'armamentarium' of public observing gear. Otherwise some poor guy is going to drive up to a public session for the Transit, park, see guys out in the field with binoculars looking at the sun, and run back to his car to get HIS binoculars (which of course won't have solar filters on them.) We don't want this to happen.

Leave your solar binoculars home for the Transit, or use them in private, but please don't let the public see you using them.

#4 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Scott.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics