Orion XX12G Review

By Jason Brown

#2 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Great report, Jason! I have an Orion XT12i (with "push-to" rather than "go-to" DSC technology), which I've been nothing but thrilled with in the 2 or 3 years that I've owned it. So I'm really glad to hear that Orion appears to have cranked out another winner with the newest generation of my scope. And don't fret about the go-to issues, as I wouldn't be surprised if there was a simple solution for that. I think 9 times out of 10, go-to issues are likely due to user error (and I don't mean anything disparaging by that, as I've "been there, done that" on many an occasion!). :)

#3 RocketScientist

RocketScientist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: California (East Bay area)

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Very interesting review!

I would be interested to hear a comparison of the XX12 vs. XT10 line. There is a significant increase in weight, cost, and complexity from one to the other...is there a significant increase in capabilities to justify the additional issues created?

#4 epee

epee

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

Please follow up and let us know the resolution of the Go-To problem!

#5 Jb32828

Jb32828

Messenger

• Loc: Orlando, FL USA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the kind words about the review. I wrote this over a couple of days and wanted to make sure I did a good job with it. There really hasn't been much said in articles about these dobs so I felt like a good, thorough review would be of help to the community.

As far as the gotos are concerned - problem solved. I started thinking that the problem was really always having to slew left or right to find the object, so before I turn the scope on I manually line it up and put Polaris in the crosshairs in the reticle, then set the tube back to the zero pointer, then turn it on and do an alignment. So its working. Also, doing it this way, simply turning on tracking without even bothering with alignment also works very well.

That being said though, my only real gripe with the firmware remains the lack of a spiral search function. The spiral search function would be immensely helpful.

As far as comparing the XT10 to an XX12, I don't know that you can really make a case of comparing apples to oranges on these two scopes. I think the XX12G is easy to transport, set up and tear down. The XT10 is easy to transport, set up and tear down, probably easier. But that comes at a cost - the length of the tube in transport. If you notice I have a lot of stuff that I take to dark sky sites for 3-4 nights at a time. All the stuff in the picture, plus the stuff for camping, although I pack light. But it all has to fit in a Toyota Matrix. Enter the XX series - because it breaks down into smaller pieces, it fits for me. That was my single biggest deciding factor in my purchase. It was all about my transport needs. If you only transport a single scope, or have the luxury of only observing from the backyard, the tube dobs are a great value and make sense. In essence, I paid about a 600.00 premium for my particular needs in transport - and still think I got a great deal considering the cost of a larger car. Whether to get the 10 or 12 in terms of optimum aperture vs. cost, that debate will rage forever in the reflector forum.

#6 epee

epee

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Jason,
How well does the light shroud fit? Tight enough to keep creepy-crawlies out?

#7 Jb32828

Jb32828

Messenger

• Loc: Orlando, FL USA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Light shroud is nice and tight and hasnt loosened at all. I had the scope assembled in the garage for over a month, then took it apart for transport and there was no looseness in the fabric whatsoever.

#8 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

Great review, Jason...

I've loved my XT10i for about 5 years now...

Now start modding it...

Get yourself some flocking... Then upgrade the focuser...

Then if you really want to seriously be blown away...

Get in touch with Carl Zambuto and do a mirror upgrade... Trust me it is worth it... I'm never selling my 250mm Zambuto, unless I could get a 300mm or 350, or ...

You get the idea...

My factory mirror was a good one... But upgrading to ZOC, priceless, especially via Ethos or Pentax XW's...

The beauty of all these Orion's is they are worth investing in!

Nice review... I may just consider getting the XT10 go to baby brother and swap me mirror... Yeah, I am a goto addict... :lol:

#9 rick b

rick b

Sputnik

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Not sure what the issue with the goto's being off is. When ever I bring my xt10g out my goto's work almost perfectly. The tracking is awesome too. The only issue with the tracking is the shakes, but it seems like after a view goto's it doesn't appear as bad. This is all coming from xt10g being placed on my driveway that has quite the slope to it, and I have never pointed it due north except for maybe the first time I had it out. Great line of scopes Orion has. I also managed to get quite the pic of jupiter with it last fall.

My next decision for me will be whether to get the 14in xxg, or the celestron 14in cgem. Cost will tell me the orion.

Great scopes!

#10 Don O'Cain

Don O'Cain

Explorer 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

I have owned one for 2 years now,the review was good but I can add a couple of things here.
The gotos on my XX12g are spot on every time and centered in a 12mm eyepiece.The trick is to make sure the base is perfectly leveled .I built an adjustable X cross brace with levelers to make the base perfectly level.Once that has been done the Gotos in mine are spot on.
When I just push the scope around and stop on an object the tracking remains solid for an hour plus again in the 12mm eyepiece.
The biggest problem was the plastic hand control holder bracket,I built a new one out of aluminum and that problem is solved.
THe focuser was replaced with a Moonlite and a filter slide.
The secondary screws removed with Bob's Knobs for hands on easy adjustments .
My primary mirror was tested at 1/8 wave and gives killer views.
Many people have looked thru this scope at multiple star parties and the comments are always Wow or something on those lines.

The deep sky views are very solid and defined and bright.

It's a heck of a dob and at $2,400.00 with all the bags and what have you Orion has built a nice package here.
My other scope is a Takahashi TOA 150B so I am use to very sharp views and this XX12g is very good indeed.
I am :roflmao: all to way to the bank.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics