• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

I miss RTMC as I have not been there since 2006. I went to my first PATS last year and will definitely attend this year. These are the two conventions where SoCal astronomy clubs come together in one place.

#52 OleCuss

OleCuss

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

I don't claim to have any special insight as to the RTMC attendance this year. But I do remember thinking that if the door prize tickets were handed out sequentially that based on the called numbers there must have been around 700 tickets given out that evening.

I'm not good at crowd size estimation, but I would not have guessed 700 people at that presentation.

Again, I have no access to attendance numbers and I don't know how door prize tickets were allocated - or what percentage of people hung around for the door prizes.

Personally, there were only a few door prizes that I would have bothered going up to collect. If others were as excited about the door prizes as I was, that might explain why it didn't look to me like there were that many present.

And I don't mean to disrespect the door prizes. There was a lot of rather cool stuff - but it was generally stuff I'd not want collecting dust or tickets I'd never be able to use because I live nowhere near the venue.

I do not yet know, but I may be back next year - especially if the weather is favorable. It was a good bunch of people.

#53 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

Rich,
Yes, they did door prizes.

So who won a door? :rimshot:

I wanted to go to PATS last year, but my car decided it wanted some repair work instead and that put the kibosh on that idea.

I hope to make it this year.

#54 Bill Llano

Bill Llano

Sputnik

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

I have attended in the past, did not attend this year due to the atrocious weather report, it was true. I think that the downturn in attendance is due to two factors. There has been a falling off of ATM's(Amateur telescope makers) which was the main theme of the conference. I ground both a 10" f/5 mirror that Tom Cave built a telescope around, and a 6" f/8 mirror. Both came out excellent. We live in an age of instant gratification, just whip out the old credit card and presto! Telescope delivered! I have seen people spending more time bragging about their 6" Takagarbashi with a full set of Othos eyepieces than doing actual observing. And if their super duper auto tracking coffee grinding doo-hickey with a whizbanger breaks down, they can not even find the sky! Am I exagerating? Hell no! At a star party this past summer, I was asked by a guy with over 6gs in equipment: Where is Hercules? I wish it was a fib, but it is not! The second reason there has been a drop off, is that it is always held in the Memorial Day Weekend, regardless of the lunar phase. I am not going to invest money if I can not do some serious observing so that I can really judge the equipment that is there! I think that we should :jump: have it during the new moon phase, and hold it during Memorial day when we have a decent lunar phase.

#55 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I agree with Bill. I am 60 and is the age average of the active portion of my club of 350. I did not go to the club auction two weekends ago due to an unexpected family thing. I heard that it was poorly attended and only a few items sold. There are a lot of items for ATM in these auctions.
I have the two telescopes listed, both 1983 models. The 10" was bought new; the 18", used in 1991. I have done major mods to both to improve the drive accuracy for astrophotography. The 10" now does not resemble the Meade it was.
Yes, I've heard the whirr-whirr of the coffee grinders out there followed by a skerunkkk!. That followed by silence then sounds shifting into the blue.

My club tries to get the younger members to star hop, do the lists and start small before making any major purchase. We do get a lot of the younger new sucessful types who joins, gets the latest and greatest, gets bored and they move on. It is hard to get these younger hands off of the keyboard, mouse, touchscreen or game controller and onto a mirror blank tool.

Joe

#56 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Messenger

• Loc: Bakersfield, Ca

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

I have attended in the past, did not attend this year due to the atrocious weather report, it was true. I think that the downturn in attendance is due to two factors. There has been a falling off of ATM's(Amateur telescope makers) which was the main theme of the conference.

I've missed one year since 1987 and the ATMing seems to be on a comeback. There were more entry's last year than the year before and the swap meet had a good amount of ATM stuff.

The second reason there has been a drop off, is that it is always held in the Memorial Day Weekend, regardless of the lunar phase. I am not going to invest money if I can not do some serious observing so that I can really judge the equipment that is there! I think that we should :jump: have it during the new moon phase, and hold it during Memorial day when we have a decent lunar phase.

Boy are you wrong!

The one year I missed was the year they moved from Memorial Day weekend to new moon weekend. The attendance was less than half of the year before. In my club we bring about 20 people a year that year we sent two! The next year attendance (back on Memorial Day weekend) was up about 50%. Moving the date really turned off the venders and many still haven't come back. As an observing site RTMC is only fair to good. Many of us drive by better sites on the way to RTMC.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics