• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 Perigny270

Perigny270

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

It may be fuzzy, but you can see the peaks as well as the shadow creeping across Plato. 6 hours later Plato was dark. Neat how quickly it all changes. Thanks for the pic.

#52 Perigny270

Perigny270

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

After weeks of clouds and haze, tonight broke out clear. Mons Pico is on tap for tomorrow, but tonight Mons Piton is the star - WOW! It is still well beyond the terminator but the peak is up in the sunlight. A glowing semi-circle with sparkles. I just gazed at it and watched the terminator creep towards its base. Lots of action nearby - Mons Blanc and Prom. Deville made a nice chain not far away. The shadows of Montes Caucasus and the rim of Cassini were going down. The east side of Cassini was all wrinkly with a coulpe of rills not far away. Hyginus was an interesting feature I had not really noticed before - the light was just right.
As the evening progressed seeing got better and better. All the way to 6.7mm barlowed 2X with my ED102 (210X). (2X4.7 was no good).
Thank goodness for my observing chair. A nice evening truly gazing comfortably.
I took a few peeks at Jupiter, M42, Rigel and a couple of double stars near the Pleiades while waiting for the moon to turn towards the sun some more. What a joyful night.

This happens to be the first anniversary since I got my first telescope (8SE). That instrument was parked because the early evening was cloudy; looking at stars was out of the question so it was left inside. I took out the 102 because the clouds cleared away while I walked the dog - the moon beckoned me and I was done...
I am thankful for all the advice from my forum friends that have allowed me to take advantage of such beautiful sights. I hope that some of you read this. :thanx:

Maybe a good report about Mons Pico and Plato tomorrow: I have Edosaurus's schedule in hand.

#53 Perigny270

Perigny270

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Fog and clouds. No Mons Pico tonight.
Am I glad I got out yesterday.

#54 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:14 AM

That instrument was parked because the early evening was cloudy; looking at stars was out of the question so it was left inside. I took out the 102 because the clouds cleared away while I walked the dog - the moon beckoned me and I was done...
I am thankful for all the advice from my forum friends that have allowed me to take advantage of such beautiful sights. I hope that some of you read this. :thanx:

Read it and enjoyed it!
Thanks for the Piton report. I will have to see Hyginus, I don't think I've looked for it before. Right now though I am "between scopes", so all I can do is read the reports here and imagine. Which is a lot better than nothing!
Ya the Pico/Piton area is really special, and strange. I miss it...

#55 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Mark,

Great photo, great report. You mentioned the eyepieces you used, the binoviewer, and how you took the picture. But I don't see the most important aspect of the observation and I'm surprised no one else asked about it:

What telescope did you use? :thinking:

:grin:
Mike

#56 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

Thanks! It was........ :rimshot: (drumroll...)

a TEC 140.

#57 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

:waytogo:

:grin:
Mike

#58 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

I took a good long look at the moon tonight with my WO 22x70 binoculars... it's really something I should do more often. Mons Pico was looking prominent and bright - to be honest I wasn't expecting to be able to see it at all without more magnification. Pico Beta, very close to it, was also visible but less prominent, maybe half as bright. Montes Teneriffe, also nearby (in the photo at the top of the thread, Mons Pico is directly below Plato, Pico Beta is directly below Mons Pico, and Montes Teneriffe is to the left of Mons Pico) was at approx. the same brightness as Pico Beta, but a bit more prominent because it covers a wider area. Really, the whole scene looked pretty much like the photo at the top of the thread, at approx. that scale, but without the long Pico shadow due to the timing. And not quite as crisp, the TEC sure is a better optic than the WO, though the WO is definitely enjoyable.

#59 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Sinus Iridum is one of my favorite lunar landscapes, too. But I don't get out much in the early AM for Moon viewing. Maybe I'll do that more often when I retire. :grin:

My favorite grab-n-go Moon scope is a 90mm Mak. Lately, though, I've been experiencing focus slip when the temps get around freezing.

Mike

#60 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

Yeah, it's really a great area of the moon. It's so open, and so whatever features are there seem especially prominent, even little ones.

Retirement sounds good to me. :grin:

#61 AstroDan77

AstroDan77

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Just happened to be searching for ole Pico and came across this. Anyone have Pico sunrise/set times for the rest of 2013?

#62 edosaurusrex

edosaurusrex

Ranger 4

• Loc: Ft Worth, TX

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Check out post #5523499

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics