Photo

Mark V, Baader Hershcel Wedge and 2.6 GPC??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

OK, I'm stumped. I've read on here recently that the 1.25 and 1.7 Glasspath Correctors screw into the base of the Mark V and that the 2.6 GPC goes "somewhere else." The instructions are, well, rather cryptic and don't address my problem at all. My question is this... Exactly where does the 2.6 GPC go in the scheme of things when using the Mark V with the late-model Baader Herschel Wedge? Help will be greatly appreciated! :confused: :help: :watching: This whole system just arrived today and I'm blown away by the quality of the image of sunspots with a little 80mm triplet. I'm using Baader 1.25" polarizers on each eyepiece in order to adjust the light throughput to each eye. The diopter adjustments work perfectly since they don't twist the eyepiece while the adjustments are being made - therefore, the polarizers don't get oiut of adjustment. I'm very impressed!

#2 MrGrytt

MrGrytt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate Cuomostan

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Imagine that you were going to screw the 2.6x into the bino-viewer just like you would with the 1.25x and 1.7x....., but don't do it. Instead, turn it so it is facing the opposite direction. Remove the collar that locks the bino-viewer to the diagonal. Now screw it into the Baader prism diagonal. Then replace the locking collar and attach the bino-viewer.

Harvey

#3 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

From what I can tell, it's impossible. It won't attach, at least not in the normal way. However, if you have the BARCON barlow, you can use it in combination with the 1.25x GPC and it provides very similar magnification as the 2.6x. :grin:

I agree, the quality of the view of sunspots is really amazing...

#4 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Dave,
Go to the Alpine Astro site and download the PDF instructions for the Maxbright bino viewers. In the instructions are specific directions for using the Baader Hershel wedge with the Maxbrights AND some specfic adapters needed to install the correctors. It should work the same for the Mark V's.
Also, on the Astro Physics site, they added a chart showing the correct orientation of the correctors as the 2.6 is installed differently.
Also, on the Hershel page of the AP site is the following link:
http://www.astro-phy...l_t2_system.pdf
which shows how it is installed with a corrector.
Rex

#5 MrGrytt

MrGrytt

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

From what I can tell, it's impossible. It won't attach, at least not in the normal way.

Two things. First, I'm looking at it in place as I type. Second, I highly doubt that Astro-Physics would sell an accessory that is impossible to use.

As mentioned, it does not work the "normal" way. It has to face the opposite direction from the ones that are screwed into the bino-viewer. The 2.6x screws into the prism diagonal AFTER removing the ring that has the locking screw that holds the bino-viewer in place. Look in there and you'll see the threads......, unless they've changed the design.

Harvey

#6 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

From what I can tell, it's impossible. It won't attach, at least not in the normal way.

Two things. First, I'm looking at it in place as I type. Second, I highly doubt that Astro-Physics would sell an accessory that is impossible to use.

As mentioned, it does not work the "normal" way. It has to face the opposite direction from the ones that are screwed into the bino-viewer. The 2.6x screws into the prism diagonal AFTER removing the ring that has the locking screw that holds the bino-viewer in place. Look in there and you'll see the threads......, unless they've changed the design.

Harvey

Two things. First, I didn't say I was sure it was impossible to attach. I said, "from what I can tell", meaning that I tried it and it didn't work, and then I said "at least in the normal way", meaning that perhaps there was another way - like an adapter, in fact. Second, you're looking at it in place as you type... in what? A prism diagonal, or a Baader Herschel Wedge? Because in case you didn't notice it (and I'm not sure) that's what the OP is talking about. Read the title of his thread, and his post, again. I am looking at a Baader Herschel Wedge, and the 2.6x most definitely does not fit in it the way you describe. You'd need something like an adapter, as Rex above says.

Edit: I just took a look again to make sure, and I'm pretty sure that if the OP tries to do what you describe without some sort of adapter, he will actually wreck the filter nestled highest in the wedge. There's nothing for it to screw into and the filter will get scratched.

#7 MrGrytt

MrGrytt

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

Yes, you are correct of course. My mind was still on the other thread with people having problems using the 2.6x in the Baader prism diagonal. Sorry about that.

I have the same wedge and it would definitely need an adapter of some type.

Harvey

#8 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Yes, you are correct of course.

Well, I'm often wrong, so "you are incorrect of course" would have been just as likely. :grin: Anyway, I'm glad to hear that there's an adapter available, it might be cool to try the 2.6x in the wedge.

By the way, since we're discussing the view through the wedge and the Mark V, here's an afocal pic I took a week ago by holding a point and shoot camera up to a pan 24 lens on the Mark V with the 1.7x GPC installed:

Of course the actual view you see while using the wedge is much sharper and better but anyway...!!

Attached Files

#9 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

The other day I wanted to use my 2.6X GPC with my Mark V and Baader Hershel Wedge. Like the OP, I also could not figure out where to screw the 2.6 GPC or what adapter is needed. Has anyone figured it out. Thanks, Kent

#10 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

The other day I wanted to use my 2.6X GPC with my Mark V and Baader Hershel Wedge. Like the OP, I also could not figure out where to screw the 2.6 GPC or what adapter is needed. Has anyone figured it out. Thanks, Kent

A little over a month ago, I called Astro-Physics and asked George this very question. He said he'd look into it and get me an answer. I haven't heard back yet. Perhaps it's time for me to email and/or call. When I called, they were getting ready to travel to the ASAE (Arizona Science and Astronomy Expo) so it's quite possible my question got lost in the mix. When and if I hear anything, I'll be sure to post it here.

#11 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Thanks Dave.

#12 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

:gotpopcorn: :gotpopcorn: :gotpopcorn:

#13 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

:gotpopcorn: :gotpopcorn: :gotpopcorn:

OK, the waiting is over! Today I received an email from George at Astro-Physics with part numbers. I reviewed same and have ordered the one part I didn't have.

Here are the part numbers George told me I need to:
1) mate the Baader Herschel Wedge to the Mark V binoviewers
and
2) allow the 2.6 GPC corrector to be used in the proper orientation without hitting the filters.

Part 1 - the part I already have
Part 2 - the part I need and didn't know existed.

As soon as I receive the Blue Fireball Gender-Changer, I can test this and report back.
Nothing is easy, is it!? :jump:

#14 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the report Dave. I look forward to hearing how the Blue Fireball works for you. I have been wanting to do this too.

#15 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hi Dave:

Any news on how it went?

Thanks, Kent

#16 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have been using my 2.6X GPC "incorrectly" by inserting it the same way as the 1.7 and 1.25. I have been doing this on my Lunt LS100 and it seems to work. I will have to try it on my Herschel Wedge some time too. There is probably a reason you are not supposed to use it this way but so far the view looks fine for me. I may see some things with more experience.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics