Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

I figured out how to use registrax 6 :)

#2 NorthBoundTrain

NorthBoundTrain

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Congrats, but I hope you mean you figured out how to use it on Lunar/Planetary work. It is not a good program to stack deep space subs with at all. GO with DeepSkyStacker ( DSS ) for that!

#3 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

I second that

Its the wrong program to use for faint galaxies, nebula and star clusters. Its is however the best for stacking the moon and planets.

#4 Nicola

Nicola

Vendor: Skymonsters.net.

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Milan, Italy

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

I wouldn't be so sure that you can't use it for galaxies and nebulas. Its wavelet feature could be easily used for enhancing nebulas/spiral arms structures.

#5 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

• Loc: Norway

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

You can bring a finished stacked image into RS to use the weavlets, but you don't stack them there. DSS is WAY better at that ;)

As a planetary stacking program RS has stiff competition from AutoStakkert now and many (including me) have switched over to AS.

#6 NorthBoundTrain

NorthBoundTrain

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

You can bring a finished stacked image into RS to use the weavlets, but you don't stack them there. DSS is WAY better at that ;)

As a planetary stacking program RS has stiff competition from AutoStakkert now and many (including me) have switched over to AS.

I have to agree, it's just not designed for DSO's. Even if you can't afford the big guns like PSCS5 and up, there are freeware like Fitswork4 with more powerful enhancing tools which are designed with DSO's in mind.

I know before you say it, PS is not designed for Astrophotography at all, no it's not. BUT, with all the plugins, addons, and astro geared actions designed for it it's pretty close :lol:

#7 Lukasz Tarkowski

Lukasz Tarkowski

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

For deep sky I use deepsky stacker free, then photoshop

#8 Case58

Case58

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Picking up on this "old" thread. Where does Nebulosity fit into this discussion? I've heard it highly recommended for moon/planetary. Is it redundant to Registrax? Would it substitute for PSE? (I have PSE10).

Thanks,

Case

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics