• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sequim

Sequim

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sequim, Washington USA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Please forgive my newbie enthusiasm; I saw something really interesting yesterday. It is a home for sale out on the Dunginess plain where, I suspect, the night sky is pretty dark much of the time. There is a very nice looking observatory on the property, so someone there must have a serious interest in astronomy.

I'd like to meet the owner with the hope of getting a tour of the facility, but I'm reluctant to just walk up and knock on the door. Nor do I want to exercise the realtor when there's no chance I will buy the home.

Surely someone this involved with astronomy must be a CN member. I wonder if anyone reading this might know this person, and might be willing to arrange an introduction for me. The house is near Port Angeles, Washington on "Galaxy View Court" and here is the listing. The observatory is visible in two of the slide show images, but not mentioned elsewhere in the listing.

Observatory and home listing

Pete

P. S. I am not a realtor, I don't know the listing realtor, and this is not my home.

#2 vorkus

vorkus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pgh, PA USA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Nice. Looks like it has some big sky too. I'm jealous.

#3 Sequim

Sequim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Yeah I'm jealous too, and I just ordered my first telescope today. I won't be ready for an observatory for years.

#4 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:24 AM

Nice but I think it's not a good idea to direct rainwater towards the dome.. would have made a 1-slope roof towards the outside only instead.

#5 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

I could live there.

#6 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

WOW!!!....nice!! :waytogo:

#7 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

"Galaxy View Court", I would buy it just for the address!

#8 Sequim

Sequim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

I found the information about this observatory. It belonged to a resident of Sequim, Washington. He died July 28, 2011.

During my search for this information I met several people who spent time with him in his observatory, which was pretty much open to all interested persons. He often hosted astronomy parties at the observatory for students. One person I met described the interior of the observatory and its adjacent comfort-controlled viewing room. Also described was the massive concrete foundation constructed to stabilize the huge Mead telescope within.

He was an astrophysicist by profession, and according to all he was a kind and benevolent gentleman. I wish I'd known him.

Here is his obituary: Link

#9 andysea

andysea

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Thanks Pete for posting this. I saw the listing and I was wondering who lived there. It would be awesome to have an observatory!

Andy

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics