• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 claws

claws

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: rio vista, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'm looking for an inexpensive monitor to use with my SBC 2000 camera. I saw this Pyle PLVHR75 7" TFT Wide screen Headrest Monitor on Amazon for $55. Anyone here have any experience with this monitor?

Thanks,
Kim

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Kim,

Other than the control (by button pushes) in these common LCD video monitors, I'd like to mention that the glass is the basic (low resolution) 480x234 resolution 7" TFT. I.e., very grainy and don't look at it too closely.

P.S. I'd expect modern video LCD should offer 720x480 resolution at 7" and above monitors.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 claws

claws

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

Thanks, css hello. any recommendations for a more suitable small monitor for my purposes?

Thanks,
Kim

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hi - I did a fair bit of research for a small monitor for my forthcoming Mallincam extreme. I ended up with this Sony DVD player see here: amazon link

Its 800x480 and comes w/ mutliple power options including 12V and of course battery. It allows for composite video input and of course it functions as a DVD player, so the kids can watch movies in the car (thereby achieving a dual purpose and avoiding SWMBO criticism!)

Good luck

Al

P.S. I paid just under $100 with free shipping. I think you can find this model (refurbished most likely) for less than that

#5 claws

claws

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the link, Al. Amazon wants $168 for that DVD player now. Trying to find a suitable monitor for my SCB2000 is proving to be problematic. From my reading on this forum it seems like I need the following:
resolution=x by 480
ratio=4:3 capable
composite video input
High contrast and brightness capability

Add to that, what I would like:
light weight
under $100

I may just get a frame grabber and use my laptop, but I think a tripod mounted lcd monitor would be more like viewing with eyepieces and less cumbersome. I could spend a little more for a monitor but high end devices like the Marshall are beyond my budget, especially since I only paid $110 for the camera.

Kim

#6 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

The Pyle PLHR-76 is spec'd as a 640 x 480. Amazon has it at <$60.

The 234 line displays may not be as bad as you might think. An earlier post advised you not to look to closely at 234 H line displays. That is true. But the resolving power of the human eye is very much a function of distance. If you stand back two or three feet, a small 234 line display looks good.

When I look at the camera image in SharpCap or similar programs on my laptop (not full screen) and compare it with the camera plugged into a a 7" 234 line display the 7" display is not by any standard a distant second.

Currently though I only use the 7" display for quick looks or for alignment and target centering when using a Barlow. The rest of the time I use a USB feed to a laptop and an HDMI connection from the laptop to a large plasma display--armchair astronomy!

#7 claws

claws

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thanks, David. That link seems to be just what I am looking for and the price is certainly doable. I didn't notice a 4:3 ratio capability. Will that be a problem?

Kim

#8 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

Sony outlet eStore has the factory refurbished DVD Player DVP-FX970
Sony store linkie here
on sale for $80 ends 6/2.

It has a wide 16:9 format 800x480 9" LCD glass.
In NTSC 4:3 mode without stretch, it's 600x480 (equiv 7.36") LCD.

Good: it's a Sony and factory refurb. Spec-wise: 6-Hr battery.
Not so good: these famous brands do not make universal DVD players.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#9 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

I have this one from Amazon.
I have been very impressed with the picture quality, the long battery life. No dissapointments here, and only $39...
It also has plenty of picture controls via the menu.

#10 claws

claws

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the links, Kerry and ccs_hello. I already ordered the Pyle PLHR76 linked by David (Barbarosa) above. I don't have it yet but I think it will serve my purposes well. My only concern is the 16:9 ratio. I'm not sure that I will enjoy a stretched view. I also ordered a frame grabber so hopefully I'll be able to display a 4:3 ratio view on my laptop. I'm really anxious to get my equipment in hand so I can get started in video astronomy.

Kim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics