A New Kind of Grab-and-Go Mount -- The Mini Hitch

By William Petty

#2 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Very nice review, William. :waytogo: One thing that has put me off about these mounts in the past was reading that I'd need to use a hex wrench to make adjustments--something that I'd prefer not to do in the field. But after reading your explanation of this process, it seems like it may not be as big a deal as I thought. If it eliminates time spent fiddling with correcting balance issues later in the night, the extra time spent during set-up may well be worth it. I may just have to check one of these mounts out sometime.

Once again, kudos on the great work you put into this review! :applause:

#3 saleratus

saleratus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire (UK) & Utah

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the thumbs-up, Scott. You're right about that time spent fiddling with balance issues later in the night--it does add up.

Once you get this mount adjusted, using your scope is serious fun. I hope you have a chance to try one sometime.

Will

#4 wpappas53

wpappas53

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Villages, Fl

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Scott,

I have a Mini, I think Will's review was spot on!

Regards,

Bill

#5 ALCHEMIST1

ALCHEMIST1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Home of the Aggies

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

Any issues viewing near zenith?

#6 atroder

atroder

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Will, many thanks for a thorough and thoughtful review. I recently acquired a Mini to further my interest in binocular viewing. Starting out with a pair of 8x40s last summer, I enjoyed the wide angle views, the spontaneity, and the mobility of the binocular experience, but missed the comfort of traditional telescope viewing with a good mount and tripod. To me, the Mini provides a seamless connection between highly portable binocular viewing and the way I view with less portable refractors. The photo shows a 15x70 binocular mounted to a light carbon fiber tripod. Total weight: 14lb., while my TV102 refractor + binoviewer weighs in at 35lb. Not only is this arrangement grab 'n go, but it's now easy to move around the yard to find the best spot. I totally support your comments on the engineering and build quality of the Mini. I think it sports a fine tech appearance, and is quite intuitive to use. It's a personal thing, but I really like the slo-mo controls, too.

Attached Files

#7 saleratus

saleratus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hi ALCHEMIST1,

I probably should have mentioned in my review that this mount--like a lot of them--has a "blind spot" near the zenith. This wasn't a big issue for me, as I've always found that practically speaking, even if a mount will let you point straight up at the zenith, you're practically on your hands and knees trying to look into the scope at that point, and so it's not a pleasant experience.

I think when Charles of Half Hitch designed this mount, he was looking for a perfect balance between features, stability, and grab-and-go lightness. The mount doesn't do everything, but I'm impressed with the balance that he found, as the mount seems to do most things much better than any mount of this size and weight that I've ever come across.

Will

#8 saleratus

saleratus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hi ATRODER, That's a nice looking setup!

Yeah, I may have been a little hard on the slo-mo controls; I know it's a personal thing. Maybe I've just spent too much time with Dobsonians....

Will

#9 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

One thing missing from this well written review was pricing information. There's also nothing on the Half Hitch website to help the potential buyer.

Even a rough figure would be useful,

Thanks,

Ed

#10 saleratus

saleratus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hi Ed,

My understanding is that the current price of the Mini Hitch is $695.

Will

#11 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Will :)

Ed

#12 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Gemini