• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Wilson

Paul Wilson

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge, MA USA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Same question applies regarding its proprietor. As is often typical when attempting to contact him, e-mail goes unanswered, the phone rings off the hook and voicemail is > /dev/null 2>&1. The disappearance of the Yahoo! group (nee eGroup) 'halfhitchtelescopeusers' would indicate an untimely demise, but I'd love to hear from others who might know otherwise.

Thanks,

-Paul W.

#2 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yes, they're still in business. They've just come out with a new mount called the Mini Hitch.

http://www.halfhitchtelescope.com/

#3 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hi Paul,

Charles started Mini Hitch Yahoo group. I believe he is going to create other mount groups (4", 5", Nova, Super?) later.

http://tech.groups.y...i_hitch_alt_az/

Last time I had email exchange with him was May 25th 2012 regarding Super Hitch mount. He mentioned that he was going to put his effort to complete unfinished Super Halfhitch backlogs. So he must be very busy.

So he is in business as far I can tell.

Tammy

#4 Paul Wilson

Paul Wilson

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge, MA USA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

Thanks very much for the info Tammy. I've submitted my request to join the new group and we'll see what happens.

-Paul W.

Hi Paul,

Charles started Mini Hitch Yahoo group. I believe he is going to create other mount groups (4", 5", Nova, Super?) later.

http://tech.groups.y...i_hitch_alt_az/

Last time I had email exchange with him was May 25th 2012 regarding Super Hitch mount. He mentioned that he was going to put his effort to complete unfinished Super Halfhitch backlogs. So he must be very busy.

So he is in business as far I can tell.

Tammy

#5 johndgaul

johndgaul

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

There's quite a bit of recent activity on the new Mini Hitch user group, including some interesting discussion on Charles Riddel's (Mr Half Hitch) upcoming project, the Nova Hitch.

The Nova looks to be a good concept - relatively simple (compared to the direct drive mounts) and high quality as usual.

#6 Figment

Figment

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NH

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

I too was very disappointed and bit worried when the original halfhitch yahoo group suddenly disappeared.

The mini hitch group seems to be going quite strong and Charles has also created a group for those patiently waiting to get their Super's (myself included).

You can find the group here SHH Yahoo Group

...Jason... :)

#7 woodworkt

woodworkt

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

I too have been a bit concerned about this business.

I had originally ordered a super half hitch last year, for my wife, who was having issues with one eye that severely limited her binocular observing, and needed a grab and go setup with a small scope instead.

Ultimately in March we had to make a painful decision to cancel, after several production delays that weren't really his fault, and order something else instead. It was getting too hard to watch Beth struggling with her observing, and it made me feel guilty whenever I set up for imaging instead of letting her use my scope for visual.

I received about a third of the refund from the cancelled order in late April, with an explanation from Charles that he was having trouble raising the funds (we had paid in advance, because the original expectation was that the mount would ship last fall). So I left it for a while and then tried to contact him again a couple of weeks ago, to find out the fate of the remainder, but as mentioned he's been hard to reach, and I haven't heard anything back.

So, I'm concerned for multiple reasons. I hope he succeeds with his new mount plans and keeping his business running; I think his gear seems great, and it would be a shame if he couldn't keep serving customers as he has in the past.

I don't want this to sound like bashing him, so if the moderators feel it's appropriate to edit this, I'm fine with that; I tried to keep this pretty factual. I just felt obligated to advise that at the moment, some note of caution might be appropriate when placing orders with this company.

Regards,
--Ken T.

#8 Denimsky

Denimsky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Charles is usually very responsive to emails but sometimes an email is not answered right away by Charles so I needed to send another one. He was apologizing in those instances that he's getting lots of inquires so some emails can get missed by him.

Also Charles is very responsive in the Mini Hitch yahoo group so you should try to contact him through the group if you are not getting replies from him.

#9 thelostboson

thelostboson

Sputnik

• Loc: Baltimore, MD

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

I just put in the order for a mini-hitch mount roughly 3 weeks ago. I am still waiting patiently for it. I spoke with him yesterday, and he is very busy with the assembly line right now (that's what I've been told). He is hopeful to be able to ship the mini-hitch mount in the next 10 days.

Ken, sorry to hear about your experience that you did not even get full refund for cancellation.

I did not know either that the mount still hasn't been assembled when I ordered it. The online order page said that there are a few "mini-hitch" left, and I misunderstood that these are ready to ship.

Honestly, I am worried too whether I will get the mount in time to use it. I should have bought the mini-hitch offered for sell in the classified section of CN. I just saw it a bit too late, and decided that may be my new mount will arrive soon.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics